• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Things my 7 year old can do after school..? (piog)

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:06 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 185 Total Views

Hey everyone... I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or suggestions on something that would be good for my  7 year old daughter to do or go to after school. She is an absolutely amazing student, she's on the A honor roll, and just made student of the month, and is very advanced for her age..... but she is getting into trouble, and very bored at home. She's a wonderful girl full of energy and ready to learn about new things every second. Anyway we came to the conclusion tha she's probably getting into so much trouble because she's getting very bored at home. We have a one year old that's taken up most of my time so therefore I haven't had near as much time to spend with my 7 year old or play with her, or do projects and things like that with her. So some kind of an after school program like maybe 3 times a week would be awesome for her I think..... Something fun... she's into so much - art, reading, dancing, music, crafts, skating, swimming, you name it. Any suggestions moms? :-)

~Julie Baker~
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
justanotherjen
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:25 AM

It would depend on what your town offers and what you can afford.  We do classes through our park district that are really cheap ($5-$10 for 7 weeks of classes).

My son (7) does floor hockey on Friday's right now and in the fall will do track & field on Tuesdays and Thursdays (he did this last year, too) and probably fun with food on Fridays.

My daughter (6) does gymnastics on Thursdays and "sports club" (that's what we call it--they are all girls and just play what ever sport or activity they can all agree on, lol) on Fridays (my 8yo daughter is also in the class).

In the spring she will do the same cooking class as her brother and probably soccer which are both on Fridays and maybe t-ball on Mondays.  She likes to try new things so she will take any class she can get into.

If it wasn't for the park district offering them so cheap my kids wouldn't be in anything.  We can barely afford these classes and they just upped the price.  Most of them are now $10 each and with 4 kids participating in the spring (my youngest is turning 3 and is now old enough to take classes) it is going to be over $100 just for 4-6 weeks of classes which I know is cheap compared to other places.  One of the suburban park districts offers a lot of really great classes (like art and music classes) along with sports and are affordable but at $85 for non-residents for 6 weeks times 4 kids...no where near being in our budget.

Mostly my kids just watch TV and play the DS after their homework is done.  It keeps them quiet and out of trouble.  Once it warms up the middle two spend most of their time outside after school (my oldest hates being outside and prefers to read or watch TV).

Meagan 6.28.00       Owen 10.1.01        Brenna 11.8.02       Nora 4.5.06

CheriW
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Being a girl, dance, gymnastics, maybe even karate? My son just started and he loves it! They are so good about the whole respect thing and all. This is a program through the school and I think I may try and keep him in it after that. Here our YMCA does not have programs for kids that young, but I am not sure about a boys/girls club? Check with the school too. Ask the teacher or principal.

Good luck 

LoganNJaidensMa
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:20 AM

WOW when i started reading the post i thought your DD sounds just like my DS and then as i read the part about the one yo i was like OMG i have a one yo too!!!  This is the same thing we are going through at my house, my DS is great student, he is on a secod grade reading level in 1st grade......but lately he has been getting in to trouble as well, and we think its because of the extra time a one yo takes.  So once a week me or his dad take him out for an evening to himself  with us, sometimes we both go that's a little harder unless we find a baby sitter for the little guy , because he is already in a after school soccer program, so i don't think that would help so much with your DD, it's the extra one on one time with mom and dad that they are really missing because of our little ones....Sometimes its an evening trip to the mall just to walk around maybe grab dinner or get a pretzel or ice cream (our mall has great kids store he loves to look in), the park if its nice, CC because you can just buy tokens, there is all kinds of things he asks to do with us on that special night!!!!!!  Good luck, it nice to see other moms are going through the same thing!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)