Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She cut her hair!!!!

Posted by on May. 13, 2009 at 11:57 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 227 Total Views

This morning I go into wake up my dd for school only to learn last night she cut her hair after I put her to bed.  She has had long hair with no bangs since she was little.  All I could do was cry and still crying.  Not just a little cut she said it was in her face.  So instead of coming and getting me to put it up (which I asked before she went to bed) she cuts it out of her face.  Enough to fill as sandwich bag full.  I don't know what to do with her she is acting out.  Yes, I sent her to school with lots of tears she had a field trip and didn't want o miss it.  I had to call my hair dresser at home today's her day off will see what we can do with it after school.  I put it up in front with a small pony tail she looked like pebbles.  

Since haveing her brother things were great in the beginning but, know he is getting older two we are having problems.  She never wants to clean up EVERY thing is a struggle.  She wont pick-up after her self she wants everything handed to her.  Yes, that's part our fault because it always has been.  Yes, she gets attention from both of us and we have grandparents, aunts, that step in when we can't be their for her.  I feel like a door mat most of the time.  It amazing because at school she good citizen of the month.  I only wish half of what they see at school comes home.  This is turning into a vent sorry. 

Lynn&Thomasmommy

by on May. 13, 2009 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
southern_gal101
by on May. 13, 2009 at 2:40 PM

My daughter cut her hair last year and I had a fit. The good thing it was easy to disguise. She wanted a bob, so after the punishment and I went and got her hair cut.

I hear you about acting out. I have a 4 month old and I admit we haven't been spending too much time with my daughter. We have to tell her to do things 100 times, and now her lying is getting worse. So we've started paying her more attention- but now she's taking advantage of us! A constant battle!

Homealonex2
by on May. 14, 2009 at 7:28 AM

Quoting southern_gal101:

My daughter cut her hair last year and I had a fit. The good thing it was easy to disguise. She wanted a bob, so after the punishment and I went and got her hair cut.

I hear you about acting out. I have a 4 month old and I admit we haven't been spending too much time with my daughter. We have to tell her to do things 100 times, and now her lying is getting worse. So we've started paying her more attention- but now she's taking advantage of us! A constant battle!

What upsets me the most about the acting out is that when he was little it was great.  Over the last year it just gets worse and worse.  Yes, when she does something she uses the excuse you don't spend enough time with me.  It makes me nuts because no I don't spend as much time as she got before my ds but, in reality that is not going to happen.  We still do things for her my dh works a split shift so on his short week she has both of us home five days.  The lying and taking advantage is a constant battle for use as well.  Wish they came with  instructions to figure out the right way to handle every situation.

Lynn&Thomasmommy

SonshineMom
by on May. 14, 2009 at 11:04 AM

My son did this last year... he had a head full of thick brown hair that was on the longer side. He loves his hair alittle longer... he had his friend cut at the crown of his head... and it also filled a zip lock bag. I cried. I was so upset. I took him and we had it cut SHORT afterwards. I made him go to school for 1 day with the cut that his friend gave him.  He hasn't cut it since and it didn't take long to grow back out.. but he is a boy and didn't have really long hair like little girls do.

I thought when he was 7 we were out of the cutting hair phase. He never did it as a toddler, so I thought we were home safe!!  Boy I was wrong.

Mom to 2 boys and expecting TWINS in Augits a boyits a girl

twkltoz
by on May. 14, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Wow...  Sounds like you have a very normal DD.    I went thru the hair cutting at about age 4/5 with both my DD's.  I also got the "I'm the princess, you are the servant" speech from them.  I think your DD is at a normal stage.  My 7yr DD is doing the same thing.   It takes and act of god to get her to put her shoes away (not in the middle of the floor).  She has not cut her hair again, but her favorite story is Rapunzel, and she wants her hair long again. (when she first cut it, it was down to the small of her back and she cut it at the shoulder.. talk about crying). Now the challenge is getting her to brush her hair.  Any chore is a fight and we have done the chore chart and rewards and allowance..  none have worked...

Any way.... I know it is upsetting, and really frustrating but it is normal.  They want to be there own person.  I have looked around my DD's class, and it is the same.  Good in school, holy terror at home. 

Good Luck. and remember you are not alone in this fight.

Homealonex2
by on May. 14, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Quoting twkltoz:

Wow...  Sounds like you have a very normal DD.    I went thru the hair cutting at about age 4/5 with both my DD's.  I also got the "I'm the princess, you are the servant" speech from them.  I think your DD is at a normal stage.  My 7yr DD is doing the same thing.   It takes and act of god to get her to put her shoes away (not in the middle of the floor).  She has not cut her hair again, but her favorite story is Rapunzel, and she wants her hair long again. (when she first cut it, it was down to the small of her back and she cut it at the shoulder.. talk about crying). Now the challenge is getting her to brush her hair.  Any chore is a fight and we have done the chore chart and rewards and allowance..  none have worked...

Any way.... I know it is upsetting, and really frustrating but it is normal.  They want to be there own person.  I have looked around my DD's class, and it is the same.  Good in school, holy terror at home. 

Good Luck. and remember you are not alone in this fight.

Thank You because sometimes I feel very alone!!!

Lynn&Thomasmommy

summerjoy1977
by on May. 16, 2009 at 12:03 PM

When my dd was 3, she cut her hair.  I had this huge long discussion that you have to go to school to cut hair.  Well, I am a teacher and she came to my school several times...You know where this story is going.  She cut her hair AGAIN!  Again, I explained that she had to school to cut hair.  Well, she informed me that she had been to my school so she could cut her hair.  So I got our hairdresser in on it and we told her that you had to go to a specific school to LEARN how to cut hair.  She told me that some kids' moms cut their hair.  I told her that some moms were born with a very special talent of being able to cut hair and I was not born with that talent so she did not get that from me.  She has never cut it since.

in lovefamily car

MandAsmom519
by on May. 17, 2009 at 8:22 AM

When my son was 4 a little girl in his class tried to cut his hair.  To get back at her he waited until she fell asleep and then he cut HER hair!  Thank goodness it wasn't very noticable.  He cut his hair when he was 5ish....he thought he was doing me a favor, so I wouldn't have to cut his hair. 

I agree that your daughter is normal....my son is the same way.  He thinks I'm his maid.  Just show her you're the boss and give her consequences for her behavior.  Be consistant and eventually she'll grow out of it.

KwithTwo
by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Wow, both my girls cut their hair around the age of 5 or 6.  My oldest REALLY cut it off!!!  My 2001 baby just did a quick trim job, nothing that even came close to what her sister had done years before. 

I agree with the earlier poster that she's totally normal!  I know lots of kids that have done this...and all are around the same age! 

I loved all the stories here, though.  It's reassuring to know it's normal!!

PnMMom
by on Jun. 18, 2009 at 12:51 PM

My son cut his hair a few weeks ago.  I buzzed it as short as I could without making him completely bald and I could still see the patches where he cut (smack dab on top of his head!!).

And about the acting out, you are not alone.  My son is the same way.  It drives me crazy! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN