Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She wants to shave!

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:25 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 236 Total Views

My 7, soon to be 8 year old daughter has asked me if she could shave her legs! I think she is still too young for this responsibility and she dosn't realize what it would be like. She does have hairy legs...dark hair on light complection. Some of her friends have commented about it and she says it is embarrassing. Do you think it is too young or am I being silly?

She also has a few hairs growing under one arm...is that normal?

HELP! lol thanks in advance

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Christine0813
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 9:35 AM

I think that is too young.

caseysmom4444
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 10:33 AM

I would give her Nair or a similar product. Nothing sharp where she can hurt herself but will get rid of the hair that she is obviously insecure about.

southern_gal101
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 2:23 PM

I think she's too young, but I can understand the teasing. My cousin had dark hair on her legs and my aunt used Nair.

Quoting caseysmom4444:

I would give her Nair or a similar product. Nothing sharp where she can hurt herself but will get rid of the hair that she is obviously insecure about.

DUH-MOM
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Kids can be so cruel as they say. That is a shame they are giving her trouble about that. I do think it's too young to shave... like you said, she probably doesn't realize how often you have to do and let's face it, most of women hate the task of shaving (especially now that summer is here and we have to do it more often.. LOL). Maybe she can make it through another summer.  I'd be really wary of my 8 year old using a razor.. maybe the nair or something will work but I'd hold off until I could unless the teasing becomes unbearable.

GODNMEPLUS3
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Thanks ladies I will definetly hold off now although she is a bit dissapointed. "Mom knows best" LOL!

Anyway, anyone have any feed back on the hair under her arm? Have any of your little girls started growing hair their yet? Is is normal to just start under one arm?

canthaveboys1
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 3:09 PM

I will not allow my 9 10 in August to shave, but she has light hair. A friend of mine in Ca allowed her 8 y/o because she was light complected and had dark hair. Well not me in Illinois at 9 nobody should be looking at her flippin legs anyway! She has hair in her armpits, the pre puberty stage. Its hell.

hate_loving
by on Jun. 23, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Hello,

I would not worry about the hair under one arm. Our hair on our heads do something similar, every hair folicle is different and grows at its own pace. It will all come in soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)