Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think freedom of religion applies to all religions?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2007 at 9:36 AM
  • 21 Replies
  • 706 Total Views
I dont. I think it only only applies to some. What is your opinion, and why?

by on Nov. 16, 2007 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dancinwyldflowr
by New Member on Nov. 16, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Freedom of religion also means freedom from religion... I have to agree with your thinking it does only seem to apply to certain ones. The men who wrote the Constitution were for the most part Freemasons which contrary to popular belief were Deists not Christians. I have included a link to a site on Deism which should explain the beliefs of some of the founding fathers of this nation. Im sure this is going to piss some people off but people should know the facts behind who the authors of the Constitution were. Maybe then there will be a better understanding that this particular document does protect freedom of all religions not just those of the mainstream variety.

*** My apologies to anyone who was offended by the link in the original reply which has now been removed. It was a link to the Deists organization for an explanation of what it is and meant to be nothing more than that. Like any spiritual path there are crackpots in every faith and some extreme views were apparently expressed that I did not read deep enough into the site to see. I do stand by the information that some of the founding fathers of this country were indeed Deists. Not all but some.

I will be deleting the entire reply shortly but hope that this will give those of you that have been offended the opportunity to read a retraction.
Seashell77
by New Member on Dec. 29, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Quoting dancinwyldflowr:

Freedom of religion also means freedom from religion... I have to agree with your thinking it does only seem to apply to certain ones.  The men who wrote the Constitution were for the most part Freemasons which contrary to popular belief were Deists not Christians.  I have included a link to a site on Deism which should explain the beliefs of some of the founding fathers of this nation. ( http://www.deism.com/ )   Im sure this is going to piss some people off but people should know the facts behind who the authors of the Constitution were.  Maybe then there will be a better understanding that this particular document does protect freedom of all religions not just those of the mainstream variety.

I just checked out the website link you left. I never saw this site before and am not familar with the Deists, even though I am Jewish. The Deist teachings are not a part of mainstream Judaism. If you attend any synogogue service throughout the US, you won't find any such teachings from Rabbis or anyother religious leader about Jews controling others or the country or the world or about us being better than others who aren't Jewish. This type of thinking is "not" a part of our faith. If you attend any Jewish religous school classroom you won't hear any teachings about Jews being superior to others, Jews wanting to control others or the world. Again I am not familar with Deist and probably because whatever that is isn't familar to most Jews, because it's not a part of being Jewish or our religion. I will have to do some research into the Deist before I can say anything more about them. Also I don't know anything about the Deist being a part of the founding fathers or creating the constitution. There are many many conspiracy theories out there about Jews being monsteres and wanting to control the world.
rozepyle
by on Dec. 29, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Quoting Seashell77:

Quoting dancinwyldflowr:

Freedom of religion also means freedom from religion... I have to agree with your thinking it does only seem to apply to certain ones.  The men who wrote the Constitution were for the most part Freemasons which contrary to popular belief were Deists not Christians.  I have included a link to a site on Deism which should explain the beliefs of some of the founding fathers of this nation. ( http://www.deism.com/ )   Im sure this is going to piss some people off but people should know the facts behind who the authors of the Constitution were.  Maybe then there will be a better understanding that this particular document does protect freedom of all religions not just those of the mainstream variety.

I just checked out the website link you left. I never saw this site before and am not familar with the Deists, even though I am Jewish. The Deist teachings are not a part of mainstream Judaism. If you attend any synogogue service throughout the US, you won't find any such teachings from Rabbis or anyother religious leader about Jews controling others or the country or the world or about us being better than others who aren't Jewish. This type of thinking is "not" a part of our faith. If you attend any Jewish religous school classroom you won't hear any teachings about Jews being superior to others, Jews wanting to control others or the world. Again I am not familar with Deist and probably because whatever that is isn't familar to most Jews, because it's not a part of being Jewish or our religion. I will have to do some research into the Deist before I can say anything more about them. Also I don't know anything about the Deist being a part of the founding fathers or creating the constitution. There are many many conspiracy theories out there about Jews being monsteres and wanting to control the world.
deist is actually banned from rabbinical teachings yeah, they can discuss it etc. but its no where in the curiculum
Seashell77
by New Member on Dec. 29, 2007 at 5:00 PM

Quoting rozepyle:

Quoting Seashell77:

Quoting dancinwyldflowr:

deist is actually banned from rabbinical teachings yeah, they can discuss it etc. but its no where in the curiculum
Who can discuss it ?
collectivecow
by on Dec. 29, 2007 at 6:19 PM
When was Diesm specific to any one religion?
I believe you are confusing Fideism with Deism..

I also found some of the propaganda on the site ridiculous.  It's based on Nazi/White Supremecist theories that Israel wants to take over the world. Very similar to some of the NWO propaganda seen so much around now.

Just for the record:  I have checked the whole "Jews own the media" responses from supremecist groups and well .. interestingly enough: Half of the people on the list + aren't Jewish.  Let's not account for the fact that only 2.2% of people in this country are Jewish in the first place.

Quite simply:  The United States wanted to keep the amount of Jewish people in the US to a minimum - so after the Holocaust basically threw everyone in Israel to "solve the problem".

It's similar to the purposes for this war on "terrorism".  Do you really think the government gives a flying crap about terrorism itself? Or alterior motives that fit personal agendas.

Lord knows the US didn't get involved in WWII because of what Hitler was doing.

List of Presidential religious affiliations (by religion)

Baptist

Warren Harding
Harry Truman
Jimmy Carter (Southern Baptist) (after serving as president, Carter broke with the SBC over its stand on the submission of women)
Bill Clinton (Southern Baptist)

Catholic

John F. Kennedy
Congregationalist
Calvin Coolidge
Disciples of Christ
James Garfield
Lyndon Johnson
Ronald Reagan
Dutch Reformed
Martin Van Buren
Theodore Roosevelt

Episcopal

The first seven presidents listed below were all from Virginia. Until 1786, the Episcopal Church was the "state church" of Virginia. See above for more detail on each.

George Washington
Thomas Jefferson (sympathetic to Unitarianism and Deism)
James Madison [also Deist]
James Monroe [possibly Deist]
William Henry Harrison
John Tyler
Zachary Taylor
Franklin Pierce
Chester A. Arthur
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Gerald Ford
George H. W. Bush
Jehovah's Witnesses
Dwight D. Eisenhower (later Presbyterian)

Methodist

James Polk (originally Presbyterian)
Ulysses Grant (allegedly; his theology is unknown)
William McKinley
George W. Bush (originally Episcopal)
Presbyterian
Andrew Jackson
James Polk (later Methodist)
James Buchanan
Grover Cleveland
Benjamin Harrison
Woodrow Wilson
Dwight D. Eisenhower (originally Jehovah's Witnesses)

Quaker

Herbert Hoover
Richard Nixon
No denominational affiliation
Abraham Lincoln
Andrew Johnson
Ulysses Grant
Rutherford Hayes

Deist

Thomas Jefferson (sympathetic to Unitarianism)
James Madison (fraternized Episcopal)
James Monroe (disputed)
John Tyler (also Episcopal)
Abraham Lincoln (disputed)

Unitarian

Unitarian Universalism is the religion generally associated today with those whose ideology developed from deism.

John Adams
John Quincy Adams
Millard Fillmore
William Howard Taft

Disputed

James Monroe
Martin Van Buren
William Henry Harrison
John Tyler
Zachary Taylor
Abraham Lincoln
Ulysses Grant (doubt he was Jewish since he enacted Order 11)
Lyndon Johnson
collectivecow
by on Dec. 29, 2007 at 6:31 PM
To answer the OP:

Freedom of religion has limitations just like the Freedom of speech does.

Just a side note: Freedom of religion as a legal concept is related to but not identical with religious toleration, separation of church and state, or laïcité (a secular state).
Seashell77
by New Member on Dec. 29, 2007 at 6:37 PM

Quoting collectivecow:

When was diesm specific to any one religion?

I believe you are confusing Fideism with Deism..

Hi, although I'm not very familar with the whole Deism movement, the link that was posted here discuses the concept of Jews and the Hebrew Bible I believe to be untrue and unjust. Check out this site posted for yourself and let me know what you think ?

The link:

http://www.deism.com/deismathensvjerusalem.htm
collectivecow
by on Dec. 29, 2007 at 7:28 PM
It was very inaccurate.  I could point out that Judaism doesn't believe in trying to convert people into the religion for one thing - nor does it believe half of the things stated.  

I love it when people mistranslate Hebrew to English in order to further their own agenda.  It's so common these days.
Quoting Seashell77:

Hi, although I'm not very familar with the whole Deism movement, the link that was posted here discuses the concept of Jews and the Hebrew Bible in a way I believe to be untrue and unjust. Check out this site posted for yourself and let me know what you think ?

The link:

http://www.deism.com/deismathensvjerusalem.htm
sarasmom500
by on Dec. 29, 2007 at 9:07 PM

Quoting dancinwyldflowr:

I don't have any problem discussing deism, but why the need to link to a website which claims that Jews are behind the Iraq War?  What's that about?

Are you an anti-Semite?

Elizabeth

"The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well." ~ Joe Ancis

collectivecow
by on Dec. 29, 2007 at 11:10 PM
Not just Jews .. I saw a lot of other religions getting knocked on that site.
Quoting sarasmom500:

I don't have any problem discussing deism, but why the need to link to a website which claims that Jews are behind the Iraq War?  What's that about?

Are you an anti-Semite?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN