Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No Vaccinations??? What say you??? (PIOG)

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 10:45 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 293 Total Views

The Buffalo News, August 22, morning edition (Atlanta AP)

Measles cases in the U.S. are at the highest level in more than a decade, and nearly half of those involve children whose parents rejected vaccination, health officials reported Thursday.

Doctors are troubled by the trend away from vaccination which has been fueled by unfounded fears that vaccines may cause autism. The number of cases is still small, 131, but that's only for the first seven months of the year. There were 42 cases for all of last year.

"We're seeing a lot more spread. That is concerning to us," said Dr. Jane Seward, of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Pediatricians are frustrated, saying they are having to spend more time convincing parents the shot is safe.

The CDC's review found that a number of cases involved home-schooled children who are not required to get the vaccines.

Measles, best known for a red skin rash, is a potentially deadly, highly infectious virus that spreads through contact with a sneezing, coughing, infected person.

None of the 131 patients died, but 15 were hospitalized.

Of this year's total, 122 were unvaccinated or had unknown vaccination status.

Some were unvaccinated because the children were under 1 - too young to get their first measles shot.

In 63 of those cases - almost all of them 19 or under - the patient or their parents refused the shots for philosophical or religious reasons, the CDC reported.

by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
33with2
by on Sep. 8, 2008 at 4:47 PM

This one is played out too.

momto2boys973
by New Member on Sep. 28, 2014 at 9:44 PM
I think it's a no-brainer since vaccines actually do work. I'm a very live and let live person, I respect that this is a choice. But it kinda rubs me the wrong way when outbreaks of diseases are taking place thanks to the misinformation brainwashed into people by anti-vax pseudoscientific propaganda.
Sister_Someone
by New Member on Oct. 12, 2014 at 9:01 AM

It shouldn't be this difficult. Hell, it should not be a choice at all. Vaccines work. The anti-pharmaceutical, quasi-scientific propaganda can try to sell what they will, but vaccines DO work. I don't understand why someone would choose to not give their child the best chance they have at staying healthy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)