Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Inositol Improves Ovulation and Hormonal Balance

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2010 at 10:08 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 4080 Total Views

I saw the article below when I was researching on inositol.  I was adviced to take pre-natal vitamins even if I am not pregnant yet, and my vitamins contained Inositol.  The box said it helps to balance hormonal functions, so I searched it.  I hope this helps!

(Posted from Natural Health Solutions for PCOS)

We have more very good news about inositol, a member of the B-vitamin family.

Two recent studies confirm earlier studies that inositol improves hormone balance and helps to restore normal cycles in women who have polycystic ovarian syndrome.

In the most recent study, from the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia in Italy, 25 overweight PCOS women were given 2 grams of inositol daily for 12 weeks. Menstrual cycles were restored in all women who did not have a normal cycle. Insulin resistance, a primary cause of polycystic ovary syndrome, was reduced.

The authors of the study conclude: "Myo-inositol administration improves reproductive axis functioning in PCOS patients, reducing the hyperinsulinemic state that affects LH secretion."

The other study is from the University of Perugia in Italy. It is a randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial, which medical authorities say is the "gold standard" of medical studies.

The researchers divided 92 PCOS women into two groups. One group was given a placebo, while the other group received 4 grams of inositol daily.

Compared to the placebo group, the inositol group had a shorter time to first ovulation, and had a higher frequency of ovulation. The effect on ovarian follicles appeared to be rapid, starting in the first week of treatment.

In addition, the inositol group lost weight while the placebo group gained weight.

The researchers conclude: "These data support a beneficial effect of myo-inositol in women with oligomenorrhea and polycystic ovaries in improving ovarian function."

These and other medical studies suggest that therapeutic doses of inositol would be beneficial for ovulation, reduction of insulin resistance and luteinizing hormone, and possibly for weight loss.

by on Mar. 3, 2010 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ShawnsMom31
by Group Admin on Mar. 4, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Thanks so much for the info , it is very interesting.

basketball 2Mother's Day #1 Mombriefcase

maggie13
by Group Owner on Mar. 4, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Thank you for the post.

adamantine
by Member on Mar. 5, 2010 at 4:13 AM

I'm glad you found it helpful. :-)

Willsmommy80
by Member on Mar. 5, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Thanks for the info...my question is where do you get it?  or does a dr. have to prescribe it? 

ShawnsMom31
by Group Admin on Mar. 5, 2010 at 2:40 PM

http://www.vitasprings.com/inositol-1000-mg-360-capsules-life-extension.html

Try this site they are 1000 mg capsules , GNC has 500 mg...but if you want to take as much in the studies above...I rather take a few horse pills than like 16 little ones. I am game for anything once , I figure it can't possible hurt. Lol

Quoting Willsmommy80:

Thanks for the info...my question is where do you get it?  or does a dr. have to prescribe it? 

adamantine
by Member on Mar. 5, 2010 at 11:55 PM

I'm taking prenatal vitamins that contain inositol.  Natural Health Solutions also has the following products:

• Inositol-5. This product contains 324 mg. of inositol in each tablet and is quite inexpensive. It you were to take the same amount as in the studies cited above, you would be taking 2,000 - 4,000 mg., or 6 - 12 tablets a day.
  • d-Pinitol. This formula contains d-pinitol, which is a form of inositol called "3-O-methyl-D-chiro-inositol". It is thought to be more potent than ordinary inositol. This formula also contains chromium and vitamin D, which are very important for improving insulin function, among other things. This product is relatively expensive but provides a more comprehensive and potent approach. 2 - 4 capsules daily is a suggested dosage.

ShawnsMom31
by Group Admin on Mar. 8, 2010 at 9:28 AM

I emailed my Dr. and he told me that yes Inositol can be helpful with PCOS , that's all I needed to hear. My Dr. (Robert Kiltz) , is a God in the state of NY as a fertility expert. Google his name , his office (CNY fertility center) has been on TLC....and Dr. Rob has been on everything. He is amazing , I trust him emphatically. Lol , thanks again for this post.

My name is Stacey , I am 35. Mother to my Miracle PCOS son Shawn JR ,  Still in love with Shawn Sr. after 16 years , Licensed Cosmetologist , Notary & Property and Casualty Agent , Scorpio , Honest , Loving , Genuine.

adamantine
by Member on Mar. 8, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Wow... having someone with authority on the matter saying something good about inositol is good news for us PCOS ladies :)

By the way, here's another article on inositol, also from Natural Health Solutions

Inositol Improves Quality of Your Eggs

In previous newsletters we've shared with you several studies showing that the B-vitamin inositol and d-pinitol (another form of inositol) are useful for improving ovulation, reducing insulin resistance and reducing symptoms of PCOS.

A new study released a few days ago suggests inositol may also be beneficial for improving egg quality in women who have polycystic ovary syndrome.

You need to have good egg quality in order to become pregnant, and in order to avoid a miscarriage. As you may know, PCOS women have a significantly greater risk of miscarriage. In addition we know that egg quality begins to significantly decline for all women after age 35.

In this study, sixty infertile PCOS women were undergoing assisted reproduction treatment. One group was given inositol plus folic acid (another B-vitamin). The other group was given folic acid alone.

Those who took inositol plus folic acid, but not those taking folic acid alone, had significantly healthier egg cells.

The results of this study indicate that if you are interested in increasing your chances of becoming pregnant and reducing risk of miscarriage, inositol supplementation is advisable. Good egg quality is necessary for a successful pregnancy.

It appears that women with polycystic ovarian syndrome have a need for higher inositol intake because they metabolize and lose it at a greater rate than other women.

rosie816
by New Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Hi!

I am new to this group and happy to have found it.  Inositol can be purchased on Amazon.  I was prescribed Inositol to improve my sleep and to regulate my period.  I was seeing a Naturopathic doctor and I bought it at the clinic.  The brand they used was Vital. 

Peace,

Rosie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN