Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thanksgiving NaNo

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2007 at 11:22 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 651 Total Views

How are you ladies handling Thanksgiving?  My husband is the only one out of six siblings in his family who is married, and our house is the same distance from the homes of two of the three who live out of town.  So guess who normally gets to do all the cooking?  And don't forget the clean-up before and after the meal.  Oh, and my son will be four on November 21, so I have a birthday party in there to deal with.  My best friend's son's birthday is on November 30.  He will be 12 this year and is doing NaNo, too.  We are kind of competing to see which of us will finish first!  But he told his Mom that he cannot POSSIBLY have a birthday party in November while he is on a deadline.  LOL  So I get a little reprieve their.  his party will be the first weekend of December.  But I can't have my son's party that same weekend.  UGH!  My husband is such a sweetie!  He called his older brother, who jsut bought his first house.  This brother wanted to host Christmas at his house this year.  John called and asked if he would do Thanksgiving and let us do Christmas, so that I don't have to take too much time away from NaNo.  Gosh, I love that man so much!!  My BIL said the remodeling on his house might not be done by then, and if it is not he will pay for all of us to go out for Thanksgiving dinner.

Lynn

http://lynnmcmo.blogspot.com/
                                                http://drurobseth.blogspot.com/
                                    http://mcmonigal.blogspot.com/

by on Oct. 30, 2007 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
madareamama
by Member on Oct. 30, 2007 at 11:37 AM
I'm relying on Chris' theory of being busy helps you be productive!  My outside the home job is in the mall, so I'm essentially screwed for that entire weekend!  We have to drive to the family on Thanksgiving and I can't devote much time that night to writing as I have to be up at 3am to get to work by 4am.  You know how Black Friday shoppers need their caffeine!  I'm hoping to not work 200 hours that weekend (yes, I know there aren't that many hours in 3 days, but you get my point) and still be able to write.

Heather
mama to Khaila
My Creative Outlet

syuratick
by on Oct. 30, 2007 at 11:45 AM

Shouldn't be that big of a deal for me.  Since I work a regular 9-5 type day job, I have Thursday and Friday off work for the holiday.  So, I can just skip it on Thursday, and make up for it on Friday.  However, I do plan to pad that count as much as possible before hand, and I'm hoping that by that late in the month I'm quite a bit ahead!!

That may just be wishful thinking though.

~~Sarah

Attention writers! Join the challenge!!! Come check out my new group: NaNoWriMo

boldmama.com
by Member on Oct. 30, 2007 at 1:30 PM
I've got the added bonus of having a vacation (first one in over two years) starting the day after Thanksgiving.  We will be in Hawaii for five nights.  My husband already knows I will be NaNo-ing on the beach (don't hate me)!  So since we are leaving for our vacation the day after Thanksgiving we have already informed the family that we don't intend on hosting a dinner this year. 
FictionalGypsy
by on Oct. 30, 2007 at 2:44 PM

Thanksgiving....hmm...well...the past NaNo's I've already hit the 50K so I never had to worry about it....if I don't this year by Thanksgiving...it'll be easy for me...
We stay here...just hubby, myself and 3 of the kids (the oldest stepson stops by for pie late in the afternoon, my other son is in Korea, and the other will be at his Dad's), I put on the meal in the morning and go type...we eat..the kids clean up and I type.

No problem...right? LOL

ChaoticBliss
by on Oct. 30, 2007 at 5:12 PM
Thanksgiving isn't a big deal here, but it is an excuse to get some good food. So we'll all meet up at my mom's. I'll steal her wireless internet and will write as I'm waiting for food and whenever my sister tries to talk to me, lol.
I've got NaBloPoMo too, so I might just "live blog" my Thanksgiving. :/ That would be interesting. LOL.

Can't close my eyes when I'm with you, insatiable the way I'm loving you.
Rain BabiesBlogging about the one thing I know how to rock, babies!☆

SimplyShell
by on Oct. 30, 2007 at 7:03 PM
My mom is a JW (doesn't celebrate) so it will just be my two boys and I (BF is on the road) and everyone else lives in another state.  I think we'll order Chinese or something!
mp3mom
by Member on Oct. 30, 2007 at 11:43 PM
I guess I'm lucky. My mom & dad cook & insist I do nothing but show up, ...hmmm, wonder why? LOL
StephB1969
by New Member on Oct. 31, 2007 at 2:55 PM
I will be hosting Thanksgiving for about 17 or so people. My mom and sister will come over the day before so that we can do the pies and desserts ahead of time.
I PLAN on having a little bit of cushion by then but also am planning on setting the laptop up in the kitchen and sneaking in-between sessions! LOL

Good luck everyone!!!
StephB
saimee
by on Oct. 31, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Gee...I wonder if my family would mind if I just wrote about it.

saimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)