Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about publishing (piog)

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2007 at 2:38 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 869 Total Views
Ok, this may be a strange question:  I have heard that if you are trying to get your work published to not post it on blogs or websites or anything because that counts as "self-publishing" and you won't be able to sell your work after that.  Is that true? 

Does any one know anything about the rules for publication?  I have a few pieces that I am shopping around and I was going to place one of them on my blog, but now I am afraid that it would ruin my chance. 

Thoughts?

-Jen-

by on Nov. 29, 2007 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
shsteele05
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2007 at 3:15 PM
I have not heard anything like that, but that does not mean anything!!!! So, I do not know personally. However, I submitted one of my stories to an author that I really like and she highlighted my story on her website as an aspiring author. She is a very accomplished author so I would think that if you could not post things online then she would not have done that to other authors, you know?

Now that I think about it a little bit, I think that if you are going to post something, especially one sites that will pay you, even in the smallest amount you have to submit it just the right way. For example I do some writing every now and then for one site that if you are planning on submitting to publishing companies or you have done so in the past then you have to submit it a certain way and for no or very little pay. I think I remembered that correctly.

Hope that helps. Oh, the best way to know would be to go to the publishing companies that you are planning on submitting to and save their guidelines to your favorites so that you can review them every now and then. Also, it is good to just know their guidelines so that you do not have to fix a lot of things when you go to submit.

Sandy

syuratick
by on Nov. 29, 2007 at 3:52 PM

I do not think that's true, but I don't know for sure.  I have some work on a blog that some people specifically told me I should try and publish.  I wouldn't think that it would be an issue.  Self publishing is when you try and sell your work on your own online, and I believe you still have to sign a contract with the company that does the printing and lists it for you.  So, I don't think it's seen as the same thing.

Something to check into though, I'd hold off on posting until you know for sure.

There is a book called the "Writer's Market" that has lists of publishers and agents.  They are all members of an organization and proven reputable.  So, you don't have to worry about contacting a "bad" agent or publisher.

And, Sandy is right about following the guidelines for submission also.  They're pretty picky about that from what I've read!! 

~~Sarah

Do you own or moderate a group?? Join us here!!!

Never to early to prepare for NaNoWriMo 2008! Join Us Here!!

ElleC
by Member on Nov. 29, 2007 at 4:33 PM
I don't think it would.  Although those guidelines may depend on the publisher you are submitting to.  Stories change shape and format all the time, I I think it'd be more of a problem after getting a publishing contract to still post the work from that point.
Groovyflor
by on Nov. 29, 2007 at 4:36 PM
Thanks ladies.  I was pretty sure that it was untrue (the person who told me is not a writer, so it was pretty much hearsay) but I wanted to know if anyone else had heard this before.  I just want to put it on my blogspot blog, which is free for anyone to use, so I didn't think it would really be a problem.  I will check with the publishers though to make sure. 

Thanks again!

-Jen-

syuratick
by on Nov. 29, 2007 at 7:09 PM

Quoting Groovyflor:

Thanks ladies. I was pretty sure that it was untrue (the person who told me is not a writer, so it was pretty much hearsay) but I wanted to know if anyone else had heard this before. I just want to put it on my blogspot blog, which is free for anyone to use, so I didn't think it would really be a problem. I will check with the publishers though to make sure.

Thanks again!

-Jen-

I have a Writer's Market book, and there is all sorts of information in there regarding stuff like copyright and all that.  I'll take a look at it a little later tonight and see if it says anything about this.  k?

~~Sarah

Never to early to prepare for NaNoWriMo 2008! Join Us Here!!

Groovyflor
by on Nov. 29, 2007 at 10:20 PM

Quoting syuratick:

I have a Writer's Market book, and there is all sorts of information in there regarding stuff like copyright and all that.  I'll take a look at it a little later tonight and see if it says anything about this.  k?

~~Sarah

Never to early to prepare for NaNoWriMo 2008! Join Us Here!!

Awesome, thanks.  I was looking at the book at our local bookstore the other day.  Do you think its worth the money?

-Jen-

nikihampton
by Member on Nov. 29, 2007 at 11:32 PM
To answer the question about the Writer's Market, it is absolutely worth the money! It is the bible for getting your work published and lots of other good information. There are a few different Writer's Markets to choose from, the original has book publishers, consumer magazines, trade journals, contest and awards, and small presses. There is also a Writer's Market for finding an agent, for short stories, and a few others.

Another good thing I recommend is a subscription to Writer's Digest, they are a great magazine for us writers. I love every issue, there is so much information I save the issues and go back to them later.

wordcount widgets

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)