Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daily Prompt - June 14th

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2008 at 6:12 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 631 Total Views
Now that I've been pointed to the calendar on Toated Cheese...  Here is the actual June 14, 2008 prompt!

The fallout from calling someone by the wrong name
by on Jun. 14, 2008 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ontheroad
by Group Admin on Jun. 16, 2008 at 2:03 PM
(Okay, it was really hard to find something to write around this prompt. Dont' be too critical. LOL)

I guess you could say it was a case of mistaken identity.

I was in a bar the other night with a good friend when I spotted this sexy cowboy standing near the entrance as though he was waiting for someone. The more I stared, the more I realized that I just had to get his name. I nudged my friend and aimed my nose in his direction. She followed my gaze and froze to her spot like a deer in the headlights.

“We have to find out his name,” I whispered in her ear. All she could do was nod enthusiastically, the whole time taking stock of his slim jeans, boots, and cowboy hat. We both took deep breaths simultaneously.

Just then his anticipated companion arrived. It was not a woman! As if drawn by a magnet, we both started inching our way in his direction. The cowboy and his friend settled at a table across the room. We turned to each other as though synchronized and said, “What if he is gay?”

As we looked at him, our brains tried to wrap around the idea of his being gay. NAH!! We had been slowly creeping forward and it had brought us within three feet of our intended target. Close enough that we could overhear their conversation. We heard the newcomer say the name “Tucker” and our cowboy responded.

“His name is Tucker!” First or last, we wondered. As we watched, he joked with the waitress and shouted a friendly comment to the bartender. They must know him, I decided. So I made my way to the bar and got the attention of the bartender.

“Hi,” I smiled brightly at him. “Can you tell me the name of that good looking guy over there?” I gushed uncontrollably, pointing in the general direction of my cowboy. He was surrounded by a ton of other men , all different in the looks department.  But the object of my desire stood heads and shoulders above anyone else in physical attributes.

The bartender’s expression reflected disbelief, but he said, “Why, that’s Jim Tucker."

We had a name. Now what? By now, he had been joined by four other male friends. I did not have to courage to approach him in the midst of all of that testosterone. We decided to leave a note with the bartender suggesting a meeting the next night at this same bar. I had never done anything like this before and I was nervous about the outcome.

I spent the next day in excited anticipation of meeting “the man of my dreams.” I chose the most feminine outfit I owned and fairly flew out the front door. The bar where I saw my cowboy was halfway across town. Traffic was just bad enough that I was becoming exasperated with how long it was taking to get there. By the time I found a parking space, I felt frazzled and impatient.

It took a few minutes for my eyes to adjust to the dim interior of the bar, and a few more minutes of scanning the room to realize that my cowboy wasn’t here. Only half of the tables were occupied and three bar stools were in use. My disappointment must have been sitting like an albatross on my shoulder, obvious to all who looked at me. The bartender was the one from last night.

“Excuse me, I was supposed to meet someone here named Jim Tucker. Has he been here tonight?”

“I’m Jim Tucker,” came the reply from the man sitting two bar stools away.

I turned slowly in his direction. He looked to be about 60 years old, with snow white hair that was brushed to the side from a part that started an inch above his ear. Not what I was expecting. I looked at the bartender. He merely shrugged his shoulders and went back to wiping and stacking glasses.

With a sigh, I introduced myself to ‘Jim Tucker’ and ordered a Scotch Rocks - a double. It wouldn’t kill me to have a drink. Besides, he looked nice enough. And it turns out he is my cowboy’s father and had been at this bar last night. My cowboy’s first name is Jordan.

This is what I get for trying to do something totally against my nature, and it’s the fallout from calling someone by the wrong name.

syuratick
by on Jun. 17, 2008 at 4:51 AM

Quoting ontheroad:

(Okay, it was really hard to find something to write around this prompt. Dont' be too critical. LOL)
That was cute!  I enjoyed it.  At least you were able to come up with something, I couldn't think of a darn thing!!!

~~Sarah - No Longer a Religious Debate Moderator....

Please assume that what I type, unless backed up by sources and facts, is my opinion. Also, the word "Some" proceeds anything you perceive as a generalization.

We are prepping for NaNoWriMo 2008.... Come Join Us!!!

Tolerance - Support it! - www.insupportoftolerance.org

FictionalGypsy
by on Jun. 17, 2008 at 12:43 PM

“Andrea!” Someone shouted. A few people looked around, but no one answered the call. “Andrea,” the someone said again. No one paid any attention to the person trying to get attention. After a few more shouts of “Andrea”, a man pushed through the crowd and grabbed the woman’s arm standing next to me. “How could you do that to me?” He began to call the woman many unattractive names.

The woman next to me spun around to face him. She pulled back her right fist and socked him in the eye. “My name is Susan, and the next time you want to call someone names, make sure it’s the right girl.” She said to the now prone man, holding his bleeding nose. I stood there watching her, my jaw down around my toes. She looked at me and smiled. “Andrea’s my twin sister.” She shrugged and turned back to the stage.

This was very hard for me. I had trouble coming up with something. It's sort of silly and unclear. But I'll give myself a C- for effort. LOL

ontheroad
by Group Admin on Jun. 17, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Quoting FictionalGypsy:

“Andrea!” Someone shouted. A few people looked around, but no one answered the call. “Andrea,” the someone said again. No one paid any attention to the person trying to get attention. After a few more shouts of “Andrea”, a man pushed through the crowd and grabbed the woman’s arm standing next to me. “How could you do that to me?” He began to call the woman many unattractive names.

The woman next to me spun around to face him. She pulled back her right fist and socked him in the eye. “My name is Susan, and the next time you want to call someone names, make sure it’s the right girl.” She said to the now prone man, holding his bleeding nose. I stood there watching her, my jaw down around my toes. She looked at me and smiled. “Andrea’s my twin sister.” She shrugged and turned back to the stage.

This was very hard for me. I had trouble coming up with something. It's sort of silly and unclear. But I'll give myself a C- for effort. LOL

I enjoyed it.  You were able to get your point across in two  paragraphs - and it made sense.  One of my problems was that I started at the end and then had trouble getting to where I wanted to be.  It was fun to try though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)