Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In Search Of........The Muse

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2008 at 11:12 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 553 Total Views

While adding a post on my blog today with this same title, I got to thinking, what can I say to everyone here that will help them with that one final push?

I'm sure some of you are thinking you're not going to make it to the finish line. You WILL!! Just sit back and let your subconscious take over. Don't stop to say, "well, this isn't what I wanted to happen." So? Don't like it there...cut it in DECEMBER. :-) This isn't about how good your story is, this is about getting 50K worth of words down. Don't be afraid to write garbage.

Maybe close your eyes and type...so what if you spell things wrong..again: DECEMBER.

Get your kitchen timer and set it for anywhere between 10 to 45 minutes. Hit start and start writing. You're not allowed to stop writing until that timer goes off. Okay, I'll accept the house falling in around you as a reason to stop writing but other than that....don't stop!!

Play the "What If?" game. Sit down and think..."What if my character did this here...or what if they did this?" Write down ALL OPTIONS! This not only gives you MORE words but also gives you more ideas to work with when you edit.

Little cheats:

Remove any and all contractions (may sound funny to read it but it's easily fixed).                   Type out all numbers (1999, becomes one thousand nine hundred ninety nine).                  Delete all hyphens (see ninety nine).                                                                                                Seperate compound words (whatever becomes what ever).                                                               Go to Getlyrics.com and have your hero sing a sappy love song to your heroine...INCLUDE THE LYRICS!!                                                                                                                                               Maybe your hero or heroine gets an urge (maybe because of a spell) to read Beowulf (or any other book) aloud to strangers on the street...INCLUDE THE TEXT!!                                          Write down everything someone says to you while your writing or how irritating it is when they do interrupt you (Saw a NaNo Novel with this exact thing in it my first year.) 

I hope this stuff helps.

*Waiting at the finish line with Champagne*

~~~~~~
I do it because I can. I can because I want to. I want to because you said I couldn't. ~~ NaNoWriMo 2008
by on Nov. 25, 2008 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
justanotherjen
by on Nov. 26, 2008 at 1:14 AM

Says the person that finished a week ago, teehee.

I was thinking earlier that I just wasn't going to make it but now...now I'm feeling a little more confident.  I'm exhausted but I pushed out 3500 words today (most of it in the last 2 hours, as usual).  I'm at just under 40k with 5 days to go.  And I still got 2 pumpkin pies and an apple crisp cooked today.

Tomorrow I have more prep cooking to do but I'm sure I'll stay up writing tomorrow night and try for another 3000 word night.  I don't think I'm quite at the "writing numbers out" stage (I remember those tricks from writing essays in school, lol) but I might use some of those tricks in the last days.

I already used the "alternative scene" one.  I wrote one emotional scene one night but it really didn't go how I had envisioned it so the next night I wrote it again more the way I wanted originally and left both scenes in (I colored the second one orange so I could find it again).  I might do that with another scene that I just wrote because it could have been more...intense.

day 25...39951words...(-1724)

ontheroad
by Group Admin on Nov. 26, 2008 at 2:21 AM

Today was my best day this month, no idea why. My muse comes and goes, when she is here the words fly but when she isn't here, I struggle.

Today I managed to get to 46,171 words.

You're right, ban contactions and compound words, and hyphenated words are treated as one, not two - but a space before and after the hyphen may be counted as an extra word.

I never thought about writing numbers the long way. that would really add a lot of words, I need to go back and check for numbers.

Good tips!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)