Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wednesday - 9/19: Shadows

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2007 at 8:21 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 875 Total Views
New word - Shadows

~~Sarah

by on Sep. 19, 2007 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
syuratick
by on Sep. 19, 2007 at 9:10 PM
Jessie's story:

It's dark.  That means I can roam free!  I go around the room, staying clear of lights as Mama taught us to do before our holders were born.  I get bored though, so I reattach myself to Molly and go to sleep.

The next morning, she wakes up and goes outside to feel the warm air before getting changed and eating breakfast.  Then she cleans up and begins walking to school.  The walk is full of dangers for me.  Two boys are playing shadow war.  That game terrifies me.  They pick up long sticks and use their shadows to jab other kid's shadows.  Molly gets to school, and since I can't take notes, I hide under her where its nice, dark and out of the burning light from above.

When she goes home, I stay next to her on the desk while she does homework.  Then I detatch myself from where her feet move and jump along with her hopscotch game until she goes inside.  She eats dinner and I stay to her left.  Immitating her movements exactly, then she goes to the bathroom.  We go to her bedroom and pray, her for peace on earth, me for all the shadows forced to be jabbed with sticks.  We go to bed, and again I roam free.

~~Sarah

Attention writers! Join the challenge!!! Come check out my new group: NaNoWriMo

ontheroad
by Group Admin on Sep. 19, 2007 at 10:46 PM
Jessie, I'm speechless.   It took me a while to realize that the story is from the perspective of the shadow.  Very clever.  A perspective I never would have considered.

excellent story

My Home is Where I Park It

RainBabies
by on Sep. 20, 2007 at 1:00 AM
Wow, I have only been here for a second but I'm so impressed by everything that has been written. I am intimidated by NaNoWriMo, I'm scared to death, lol. I have never written besides on my blog.... So here is my first attempt ever. *eek*

His heartbeat is irregular. He's already told me so, but as I lay my head on his chest I am hearing the beat for the first time. Thump, Thump, Thump. The beat is steady and then suddenly- it dies- the excruciating moment before climax- and suddenly it beats again harder, faster and continues it's unsteady pace. Irregular indeed.

But so are we. We're not supposed to be here, hiding in the shadows of his wife's bedroom. I'm not supposed to be here. I'm trying to prolong the moment as the man that I love reminds me that I don't belong in his home, in his already unusual heart.

He sighs that familiar sigh, it's deep and steady- alarming. My own heart begins to race. I don't want to leave! I'm not ready to go! I want to plead with him- let's stay in the warmth of each other's caress!! But it's not part of our deal, he slides from under me and goes to clean up the mess we've made. I sit up, allow my heart's pace to even out and begin to re dress.

He's only mine when our erratic heartbeats join in this taboo union, and I will always return to him.

Holy monkeys- that was difficult.... :'(

♥☆♥Samara Elise Alexandrea 12.31.03 & Caesar Noel 08.29.06 & Trying for #3♥☆♥
Rain BabiesPunkhead RabbitMyspaceFacebook ☆Covenspace
MoChaMoTian
BUY -- Pixel Signatures & Other Web Design
JOIN -- Strong Women, Stronger Lve

ontheroad
by Group Admin on Sep. 20, 2007 at 1:32 AM
Okay - - good way to get the fiction side of your brain going.

congratulations!

ontheroad
by Group Admin on Sep. 20, 2007 at 2:37 AM

“Are you sure we aren’t putting you out,” asks Mom for the fourth time, “We can go to a hotel.”

“Don’t worry about it, Mom,” I insist with a touch of impatience, “Dan can bunk in with Billy, and I can sleep on the sofa bed in the guest room.  We want you guys to stay with us.”

“Well, If you’re sure ---,” the relief obvious in her voice.

It was July 4th weekend combined with Billy’s 10th birthday, and the grandparents had come to help us celebrate. The guest room is kind of a game room/sewing room/play room.  Most of our relatives lived too far away to visit often, so we had no need for a permanent guest room.  That means we had to make do.
            After a leisurely dinner, we cleared the table and sat down for an evening of pinochle.  We love to play cards when the grandparents visit.  One game became four, and four games became 8.  Soon we were all exhausted and went our separate ways in favor of sleep.   I headed down the hall toward the guest room.  We’ve lived in this house for five years and I’ve never slept anywhere but my bedroom.  So, it was with a little uncertainty that I tried to get comfortable on the old second-hand sofa bed.
            I am suddenly awake, staring into the darkness, and I don’t know where I am.   My heart is beating wildly as I try to see through the pitch-black around me.  My eyes search for any amount of light so I can get my bearings, but I can only make out shadows.  One of the shadows looks like a person standing across the room.  The more I try to see my surroundings, the bigger my eyes get until I feel they will fall out of my head.  Well, I can’t just sit here scared, I tell myself.
        Get moving!!  Slowly I feel my way to the end of the bed, hoping I am going in the right direction.  The end of the bed leads me to a small table and I suddenly remember the room I am stranded in.   With relief, I find the light switch and flood the room with light.  And there, in the corner, is the shadowy person I thought I saw -- a dress form that I had stashed away years ago and forgotten.  My sigh of relief was almost loud enough to wake the household.
     “Okay, now see if you can remember where the bathroom is,” I laugh to myself.

To this day, I won’t sleep in a room without a small light to ward off unknown shadows in the night.

syuratick
by on Sep. 20, 2007 at 9:10 AM

Quoting RainBabies:

Wow, I have only been here for a second but I'm so impressed by everything that has been written. I am intimidated by NaNoWriMo, I'm scared to death, lol. I have never written besides on my blog.... So here is my first attempt ever. *eek*

Holy monkeys- that was difficult.... :'(

♥☆♥Samara Elise Alexandrea 12.31.03 & Caesar Noel 08.29.06 & Trying for #3♥☆♥
Rain BabiesPunkhead RabbitMyspaceFacebook ☆Covenspace
MoChaMoTian
BUY -- Pixel Signatures & Other Web Design
JOIN -- Strong Women, Stronger Lve

I've never written either, so don't worry about it!  You are not alone in that!  This is quite a challenge for me too, but some words seem to be easier to write about than others. 

I loved what you wrote!  Great first attempt!!

~~Sarah

FictionalGypsy
by on Sep. 20, 2007 at 4:48 PM

I am a strange sort of person. After all the kids are asleep and while my husband is at work; I like to turn out all the lights and listen to music. All lights that is, except the one light above the toaster in the kitchen. But this one night was probably the scariest of my entire life. Let me explain.
   I am somewhat of what some call a "sensitive". I can sense things others can't. One example while on a drive with my husband, we were driving down a back road near the town where he grew up. I began to feel a panic attack come on. I turned to him, "We need to get away from here." Then he told me the story of the house that used to stand in the area where a girl was murdered. I knew nothing of this because I was eight or nine when it occured and lived miles away. 
   Anyway, back to this one particular night. I was coming back into the living room from letting the dog back in. I stopped in the middle of the room because I heard something. As I tried to determine what the sound was, I turned to the doorway to use the light coming from the kitchen. Standing behind me was a black figure....a shadow....that I couldn't see any light through. I was not my shadow, for it would be behind me.
   This shadow was slightly shorter than I am, about four feet wide, and solid. I closed my eyes and said, "Go away." When I opened my eyes it was still there. Again, I closed my eyes and said, "Go away."

It was gone. I still turn off all the lights and listen to my music. This one shadow will not make me afraid of the dark.

FictionalGypsy
by on Sep. 20, 2007 at 4:50 PM

Quoting syuratick:

Jessie's story:

It's dark.  That means I can roam free!  I go around the room, staying clear of lights as Mama taught us to do before our holders were born.  I get bored though, so I reattach myself to Molly and go to sleep.

The next morning, she wakes up and goes outside to feel the warm air before getting changed and eating breakfast.  Then she cleans up and begins walking to school.  The walk is full of dangers for me.  Two boys are playing shadow war.  That game terrifies me.  They pick up long sticks and use their shadows to jab other kid's shadows.  Molly gets to school, and since I can't take notes, I hide under her where its nice, dark and out of the burning light from above.

When she goes home, I stay next to her on the desk while she does homework.  Then I detatch myself from where her feet move and jump along with her hopscotch game until she goes inside.  She eats dinner and I stay to her left.  Immitating her movements exactly, then she goes to the bathroom.  We go to her bedroom and pray, her for peace on earth, me for all the shadows forced to be jabbed with sticks.  We go to bed, and again I roam free.

~~Sarah

Simply AMAZING!!! GREAT JOB!!!!
Outnumbered621
by on Sep. 21, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Shadows

I have to think before I do this.

I approached my sister and gave her a quick squeeze.  Things had always been uneasy between us.  She didn’t know everything I had been experiencing lately either.  She turned around, giving me a quick smile as she continued talking with a friend of hers.  Cheryl had always been a bit difficult.  Always taking every comment made and analyzing it.  As I sat there on the sidelines of her conversation I reflected back on our relationship.  Together we had weathered a rocky childhood of divorce, moving from place to place.  Having little to eat and few things to call our own, we sometimes fought between ourselves. Coveting things and spaces over what we had.  Sisters. 

It had been a meandering road with turnoffs and steep cliffs.  But we had finally arrived.  A break in the hurt and neglect.  A copse of freshly planted seedling trees.   A place of quiet friendship.   I always treaded softly and thought before I voiced my words.  I understood now.  The words I spoke, uttered in thoughtless speech were so tangible to her. 

A shadow I leave on her heart with each encounter.

I have to think before I do this.

jacobelis_mom
by Member on Sep. 21, 2007 at 5:38 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if we could all find that special someone that completes us? We all want someone who will always there, and the things of their life never compete with you for their time. We all have that special friend that we can tell anything to. We all want that perfect partner who we share our thoughts with. I've spent so much of my life looking... looking for the the part of me that has seemed to be missing for so long. There is that little part of my soul that wants to let loose and be angry sometimes, but I don't. I keep my temper in check no matter the how my feelings rage. There is the small part that wants to go out with lots of men and not feel bad; but, I can't because my heart won't let me. There is the part of me that wants to be someone special and have my name in lights; yet, I enjoy my obscurity. There is that fraction of my soul that doesn't want to believe in God; and the rest of me that is appalled I could even think it. So, in this journey to find myself, I've found my complement-- that person that completes me. She's been here all along. The shadows of my soul cannot change who I am; the darkness doesn't rub off, and the evil cannot jump. And, yet, she is a part of me. Sometimes when the stress of trying to be perfect gets to me, I remind myeself that we all have that tiny part of us; and occassionally, just every so often...I relish dancing with my shadow.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)