Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Switch to Fresh Milk or Still Formula Milk?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:35 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 321 Total Views

Hi guys! Nathan's pedia advised us that he may drink fresh milk starting 1 year old instead of formula milk. Do you know which one is more beneficial or better and why? Thanks a lot!

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyNikkiWA
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:41 PM

We are doing whole milk becuase Jacks doc said it was best.

schenelle3
by New Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 1:13 AM

most drs will tell you whole milk because of the fat that is in it but i have used skim and it was just as good

marbear98
by New Member on Apr. 15, 2009 at 9:50 PM

At one year, we switched all our kids to cows milk.  Formula does have more nutrients in it because it is what you give them until a year old if you are not breastfeeding. But once you have established a good healthy diet of solid foods for your baby, you really don't need the formula anymore. Our son turned 1 on the 14th and the only reason he is still getting formula is because we have an open can.  Once that is gone, he'll go to milk.

postivemom
by Member on Apr. 17, 2009 at 6:44 AM

At 11 months we started her on milk and a sippy cup bottle at bed time but out wic program here in fl only allows 1% or skim cause they have to many over weight kids

she took to the milkwith no problem likes it room temptoddler girl

ragamuffins
by New Member on Apr. 17, 2009 at 10:49 AM

My lil one turned 1 on the 15th and I plan on keeping her on the second stage formula for a few more months...she only has 2 teeth so we are not soley on solids yet and I feel she needs te vitimans...Really it's a personal decision and some babies may be getting all the vitimans they need on Cows milk but mine still on baby food needs more teeth before i will switch!!  

tina

www.ragamuffinsdirect.com

PitBullLoverNYC
by Member on Apr. 19, 2009 at 12:33 AM

we are not big milk drinker in our household. we only but it f we are making mash but we buy fat free milk or soy.

im want to know if he can have soy milk or not 

Icpjuggalette
by on Apr. 19, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Give em cows whole milk cus its high in fats and they are eating table foods now And dont need all that formula anymore cus the food are feeding them are giving them those vitamins and other good stuff.

mjbsmommy
by New Member on Apr. 20, 2009 at 2:55 PM

I was also told that whole milk is the best for them...I am using half whole milk and half formuls until I run out...Then my daughter will be on milk...

Icpjuggalette
by on Apr. 26, 2009 at 3:13 AM
Quoting mjbsmommy:

I was also told that whole milk is the best for them...I am using half whole milk and half formuls until I run out...Then my daughter will be on milk...

I did that with my daughter a week ago, she ran out of formula, now its all whole milk, now i have to work on sippy cups, again, for the third time, grrrrr!!

juggalette
Glitter Graphics

Jamiegee321
by New Member on Apr. 30, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I was told at my daughters 12 months appt to switch completely to cows whole milk and no more formula, but I'm still doing a little formula(enfimil next step 9-24 months), but instead of doing all formula I'm doing half formula half whole milk. I had asked the pediatrician why whole milk and she said because it promotes brain development by increasing the fat in the brain. And I get it all through WIC here in MO.  I'm just going to finish up the can of formula I have now and then try to switch to only whole milk. And I've already started giving her enfamil liquid vitamins to kind of substitute what she would be missing from the formula. I think it's just really up to you and what you think is best for your child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)