Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How clear and developed is your toddler's vocabulary?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2009 at 5:45 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 582 Total Views

My son is 14 months and 3 weeks old.  He can understand some directions and knows a lot of words when I say them.  When he talks, I can tell what he is trying to say but it isn't that clear.  He can say "Uh-Oh", "du" (duck), "do" (dog), and dada.  Mama is only said when he is really upset and rarely happens.  He communicates by pointing, which I know is a good sign but I feel like his language should be more clear and should be reading more.  I am a teacher and I know the importance of reading and talking, which I do.  My son did have tubes put in his ears back in February and before that was sick for 8 weeks with ear infections.  I am thinking that had an imapct on his vocabulary.  Anyways, just wondering how far behind he is if he is behind at all with vocabulary.  Thanks!

by on Jul. 2, 2009 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
troysmama08
by Member on Jul. 2, 2009 at 6:58 PM

My son is 14 months also and he isn't saying a whole lot either at this point.  He says mama, dee dee (for daddy), he was saying giggy for dog but he hasn't said that in awhile.  He also tries to say Diana, which is his aunties name.  That is pretty much the extent.  I know he understands much more though, and responds accordingly when I talk to him.  I'm just hoping his vocabulary will start to pick up more as we go along.

Bedelina
by Member on Jul. 3, 2009 at 2:11 AM

Nathan is 14 months. He says mama, dada, dade, nana, ho, ha, tata, baba, sasa, blu, do, etc.  He also points things and able to choose. 

tomkat3
by on Jul. 3, 2009 at 1:25 PM

My daughter is also 14 months and has limited vocabulary. I think it can be normal to be delayed in speech if your otherwise active physically. She's so busy keeping up with the older two. I don't know if your sons delay is due to the tubes or not, but my little one has never had tubes and she's in the same boat speech wise.   Kat

Aprilmama101
by New Member on Jul. 6, 2009 at 12:31 AM

My 15 month old son mostly says "Dada" and "at" for cat.  He will sometimes say Ma.  He still babbles a lot.  He understands a lot.  He is able to choose and follow simple directions.  We use Baby signs so he will use those and babble.  I don't think he is behind.  We read everyday as well.  Usually around three books spread through out the day.

CafeMom Tickers
devore512
by New Member on Jul. 7, 2009 at 2:02 PM

My daugher has a pretty wide vocab but she definitely does not pernounce the words correctly. She does point a little but she does try to use her words. My friends son is 17 months and all he does is point. Every child is different and I would not worry about anything until he is older.

My old bosses son would not pernouce the end of the word and she had tubes put in a a couple months alter he was speaking a lot clearer... so hang in there

0WhatsKickin
by New Member on Jul. 9, 2009 at 11:59 AM

My daughter is saying Mama, Dada, sometimes she will say Bubu, bye, hi..and maybe one or two more..but ONLY when she wants to. lol! It doesn't sound like there is a problem..My son is 3 and when he was two we noticed he wasn't really where he should be because he pointed but NEVER wanted to say the word. He would trow fits if we didn't give him what he wanted until he said it..he refused to talk. I don't think it sounds like a problem but you can always check with Early Childhood intervention if you really think there is a problem they can help with all sorts of delays..or just reassureyou that things are going as normal development. I am glad you asked the question though bc I was kinda wondering if my daughter was doing about the same as all the other kiddies out there.

RebeccaAxeRosa
by New Member on Jul. 10, 2009 at 10:02 AM

My daughter is 15 months old. She calls all food "nana" (I suppose because we feed her a lot of bananas), and all people "dada" (I suppose because my husband is a work-from-home-father). She calls our cat, and any she sees in books or on TV, "meow." She calls bunnies/rabbits "boing boing boing" when she sees them in books or is playing with her toys because I used to make that noise whenever I would show her this type of animal. She also says "no" a lot.

She rarely says "mama," so when I hear anything even close to this come out of her mouth I get so happy. It's tough always being called Dada! :-) 

CallaLily08
by Member on Aug. 9, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Lily's vocabulary is pretty large, and you can understand the pronunciantions clearly. She's up to abt 17 words, but on the flipside, she did all physical things fairly late. She didn't crawl until she was almost 11mons,she's finally walking now, she didn't pull up until she was abt 10mons. All babies are different, and they excel in different areas at different times. I wouldn't worry too much. Sounds like your son has a foundation, and can express himself, and that's important. You're doing the right things by reading, and keeping open conversation with him. He'll be just fine, and soon enough he'll be talking and you'll be wishing for the days when he was a bit more quiet, haha.

Blueliner
by on Sep. 12, 2009 at 3:31 AM

DD just turned 17 months this week and probably says a few hundred words clearly, she also forms 2 to 4 word sentences regularly. We stopped counting her words something in her 12th month, she was at over 30 and starting to add new words daily. She can hear a word once, say it clearly, and then it's usually part of her permanent vocabulary. It's pretty crazy, but my mom said that my 2 sisters and I all talked early. 

I'm totally going to brag, but I know, and I hope any of you with late talkers know, that some kids don't really start talking til age 3 and end up geniuses! I have two close friends that didn't talk til 3 yrs and they are to of the smartest people I know! (One's getting her masters right now and the other is in med school :))

Some examples off the top of my head of things she's said:

Dogs (and their names: P.J., Lucius, Diva, Cuba), kitty, plane, chopper, boat, truck, bike, hold it, open it, close it, help, "up chair eat please", "park fun", "hamburger bite please", "Truck big, truck heavy", "all gone",  "all done", "daddy funny, goofball", "mommy coffee hot", Starbucks (horrible I know!), patient, pine cone, it hot, it cold, what's that?, grass, table, "quite guys no!" (to the dogs lol), happy, sad, hug, kiss.  Names: Mama, Daddy, Gigi, Pops, Grandma/grandpa, Nana, Papa, Sam, Patty, Julius, Matt, Cami, Micheal, Zach, Travis, Jessie, Dave, George, Patty, Katie, (and a ton more, I think she remembers every one she meets! Dave is my parents handyman lol) She also knows TONS of animals, some colors, 1-2-3-4, body parts and names of clothing items. BUT the best thing she's said yet, "I love you"! She definitely seems verbally gifted to me.

I'll stop cuz I'm sure you get the idea! It's just exciting and I'm constantly amazed by her growing vocabulary! Thanks for letting me share!

fluud7
by on Sep. 12, 2009 at 3:48 AM

He sounds perfectly normal to me. Every child is different.

Our first child (boy) didn't speak hardly a word until he turned 2 years old, but he understood everything just fine.

Our second child (girl) started speaking around 1yr and was speaking in complete, understandable sentences by 18 months.

Our third child (girl) is just about to turn 2. She seems to understand everything perfectly but only has a vocab of maybe 20-30 words.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN