Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How clear and developed is your toddler's vocabulary?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is 14 months and 3 weeks old.  He can understand some directions and knows a lot of words when I say them.  When he talks, I can tell what he is trying to say but it isn't that clear.  He can say "Uh-Oh", "du" (duck), "do" (dog), and dada.  Mama is only said when he is really upset and rarely happens.  He communicates by pointing, which I know is a good sign but I feel like his language should be more clear and should be reading more.  I am a teacher and I know the importance of reading and talking, which I do.  My son did have tubes put in his ears back in February and before that was sick for 8 weeks with ear infections.  I am thinking that had an imapct on his vocabulary.  Anyways, just wondering how far behind he is if he is behind at all with vocabulary.  Thanks!

by on Jul. 2, 2009 at 5:45 PM
Replies (11-15):
chena6
by New Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:20 PM

my baby girl is 18 months and she talks all the time, she say                  mommy,daddy,nany,tony,do,wow,why,eat eat, cereal,baby,go,to,dee,two,peekaboo, she just so amazing

kodymom17
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:00 PM

my son almost 19 months and is talking like crazy the past few weeks. he says alot of the words you ladies have already mentioned, but doesnt say daddy any more, he used to but i didnt really encourage it. His dad isnt in his life anymore so when he asked for daddy i would just say sorry hunny its mommy, and soon he only asked for me.

starting to put sentences together (2 or 3 words) haha example: he threw his food on the floor because i guess he was done eating and he does this when hes bored sometimes i looked at him and said "KODY we do NOT do that. why did you throw it on the floor?" he looked at me and calmly said "doggie did it" i was furious but i had to laugh because it was just to cute. lol.

the other day he ran across the house to tell the doggie "STOP IT!" because he was laying on his stuffed dog.... its like having three kids (kody and the 2 dogs haha)

TaysMom041908
by on Nov. 22, 2009 at 12:54 AM

my daughter is 19 months and saying full sentences but just 2 weeks ago could only sometimes say about 5 or 6 words it was weird how her vocab. just enhanced like that

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

pregnancy week by week

wedding ticker

JamnAsh
by New Member on Jan. 11, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Storie has been blabbin since before she could walk. shes getting to the point where she puts words together like her name along with her toy. Like "Storie's minnie mouse". But she talks soo much. everyone is always like wow! She can count from 1-10 in order, if you since the abc's she can finish it for you when you stop. she knows all of her colors. I dont know how i got such a smart baby. she teaches her friends how to talk too

JamnAsh
by New Member on Jan. 11, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Quoting kodymom17:

my son almost 19 months and is talking like crazy the past few weeks. he says alot of the words you ladies have already mentioned, but doesnt say daddy any more, he used to but i didnt really encourage it. His dad isnt in his life anymore so when he asked for daddy i would just say sorry hunny its mommy, and soon he only asked for me.

starting to put sentences together (2 or 3 words) haha example: he threw his food on the floor because i guess he was done eating and he does this when hes bored sometimes i looked at him and said "KODY we do NOT do that. why did you throw it on the floor?" he looked at me and calmly said "doggie did it" i was furious but i had to laugh because it was just to cute. lol.

the other day he ran across the house to tell the doggie "STOP IT!" because he was laying on his stuffed dog.... its like having three kids (kody and the 2 dogs haha)

lol thats cute! mine does that too. when i get mad at the dog and tell him to go to his cage she will say "DOG, NO--CAGE NOW!!" i cant help but laugh

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN