Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

About to move to Florida

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 465 Total Views

Hi all, long story short, we are about to realize a dream we have had for a long time.  With this year's tax refund, we are able to find a rental home, pay a deposit, and move there over the course of the next few months.  So we are going to do it.  The hard part will be finding something big enough, within our price range, that accepts cats and dogs (one dog, six cats) and is in a decent area.

So far, I've found ONE rental I like.  It's in a new subdivision; it says cats and dogs are okay (have emailed for more info); it has four bedrooms (there are six of us); it's less than $800 a month (our initial budgeted amount); and it has a fair amount of square footage (about what we have here).  I don't know how much deposit they'd require but I can't see it being over $1000; and we can easily provide proof of my husband's employment status.   The nice thing is, I could take this rental now, and we could slowly go through our stuff and move things over the next several months; having an address down there would enable my husband to find a job down there (one of the stumbling blocks he's had prior to this), and being able to remain up here for the time being would allow my children as well as myself to finish the school year, and I could have the entire summer to get us all transferred to schools down there.  My kids are 15 (freshman), 13 (7th grade), 10 (4th grade) and almost 3.

The only two problems I foresee at this time are:  1) its proximity to Orlando International Airport; and 2) the maximum number of pets allowed by the owner.  Airport noise is not a deal-breaker, as we both grew up right by Chicago-O'Hare; but it would be VERY hard for me to give up my furbabies (though if I must, I must).  Like I said above, getting my DH a job down there is not going to be difficult once we have a physical address; he's a truck driver and that is a high-demand job in just about every area of the country.  I would have to find out about local nursing schools though, as that is my intended major in school.

So...without really getting into a long, drawn-out explanation, who can tell me something about the area bordering the south side of Orlando Int'l. Airport?   Thanks!

by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
TAG_ur_it
by Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 8:49 PM

i don't think you'll have the issues you think you will with the airport.  the airfield is surrounded by ACRES of land.  i do want to warn you, check the neighborhood.   in orlando, you defintely get what you pay for.  we downgraded from a 4/2 that was 1600sqft and only 895/m to a 2/2 that's 1200 sqft that's 675.  both areas are horrible.  smack in the middle of the worst crime areas.   we're trying to get the hell out of orlando. it's just a shitty place to raise kids and the unemployment rate is ridiculous.  forbes just listed orlando as the 4th worst city in the country for jobs available/unemployed ratio.   on another post, i put up some extremely helpful links.  they are good for the whole state so please use them.  that tells you about the schools, the niehborhood etc.   for the last place we moved to, the 4/2, they required 2 months rent as a deposit.  not counting the 300 for the first pet and 100 per additional pet.  non-refundable.  be very careful when dealing with a property management company.   prime example. do NOT use Rental Home Management Services.  they are horrible horrible horrible.  we had fluxuating power in half our house for 6 months.  it wasn't until i went over our managers head and threatend to leave that they finally came out and fixed it.  there was a caulking problem in the master bath that we pointed out before we even signed the lease.   we ended up with mold in my son's bedroom.   and since it wasn't listed on the move out, i assume it never got fixed.  i did the best i could but it certainly wasn't professional job

cythina208
by New Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Only reason staying orlando because of family and great school for austism. The public schools are not so great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kat569
by New Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 11:58 PM

TAG-ur-it, thank you.  I will look at the other threads for those links (think I saw them earlier, will look tomorrow).  I'm not worried about airport noise, since I grew up around it.  This house is a 4/3, 2200sf, $800/mo.  Being a new subdivision I'm thinking it'll be an okay area for a while at least, hopefully long enough to get me out of school and bringing in some income.  As for jobs, we really need to be somewhere between Daytona and Orlando as that is where most of the jobs are, for Jim at least.  No worries on property management or renter's rights - I was a Realtor in two different states so I have a pretty good idea of what should or should not be done, as well as where to look to get info when I have an issue (but I'm hoping this is a private party, not a management company LOL).

cythina208, please tell me about the school for autism.  My older son is in the process of being diagnosed - right now we know he has mild ADD, and his doctor has also put PDD-NOS on his chart.  We're working with neurology to eliminate other causes of his issues; and will soon be referred to a psychiatrist for further evaluation (thinking Asperger's or SPD, or possibly the very edge of the autism spectrum).  Personally, I'd rather put them into a charter school - I'll have to do some research this week on that front.

Thanks again!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)