Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Westfield's Big (Bad) Adventure

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:12 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 526 Total Views

I don't know how many of you have been to this joint but what a mess this place is. And I don't mean didn't pick up after the kids mess. I took Caitlyn there today with her 18 month old cousin and I was so disapointed words cannot desribe. We weren't even pointed into the corect direction of where the "toddlerland" was and when we did find it, come to find out its a pass though for the party rooms and the stupid staff cuts through there with hot pans of pizza. Everything in that room was so dirty and gross I couldn't even imagine the amount of germs hanging out in there. There was gum stuck on the inside of the slide except now its gone because its stuck to my jeans and the ball pit was filled with pizza crust and just all out dirty. The toddlerland was a joke-JOKE! There were 2 "slides" and thebigger kids still came in there and just pushed Caitlyn and Connor out of the way when they wanted to be wherever they were. One of the bigger kids (maybe 6 or 7 who would definatly know better) came sliding down the slide while Caitlyn was still at the bottom of it. There is ZERO support from the staff and the other parents are too busy gabbing with one another to watch their own kids.

Anyone got any suggestions of where to take Caitlyn for fun in the winter?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bigred1058
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Oh that sucks! My cousin took her two kids there once and raved about it! She has an 11 yr old and  a2.5 yr old. She kept wanting me to bring my son who is 2.5 also. But those in door places sketch me out!! I don't know where to go. maybe the Y? depending on where you live there's the dr suess museum here in springfield, Eric Carlisle museum in hadley and the science museum in Holyoke off of Main. or my son loves Barnes and Nobles!! They have a train set and cool books shaped like trucks and cars. Good luck!

Photobucket

woodswalker
by Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:03 PM

When my kids were that age I used to practically live at the Holyoke Children's Museum.  I got the yearly pass, so we could go whenever we wanted and not have to pay everytime.  It was definately worth it.  So many different play areas and very clean, too.  There's also a parent's library where you can pick out books to browse through while your kids play.

aprilmh
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 1:30 PM

We have been there. It was not quite so dirty at that time. We were huge fans of Discovery Zone when it was still in w.springfield, and were sadly disappointed when it left. There is no comparison of the two. The kids were done being there after fourtyfive minutes. We do frequent the holyoke childrens mesuem, other then that we are limited in good play areas around here.

MaryjoF
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Discovery Zone was AWESOME!!  When I was a Nanny, I used to take the kids there all the time.  I live in Westfield and was not impressed with the Big Adventure place at all when I took my daughter.  Granted she was only 18-20 mos old at the time.  Now she's 3 yrs old and might be able to handle it better, but I'm not so sure I want to chance it.  There is an indoor play place in South Hadley that I went to once with a friend of mine and her kids that was really great.  I'll have to find out the name.  They had a full service daycare in there, as well as a restaurant.  It was a little pricy, but worth it!  There was a little area gated off that said under 2 only, then there was a much larger play area that said 2 and up.  So the babies were seperated which was nice.  Then there was a HUGE open room with mirrors on all the walls for them to run around, big balls to play with, mats to run and jump on like in a gym.   My daughter LOVED it.

PlayDoh
by Member on Feb. 22, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Sadly the playplace in Hadley closed last year.

Sorry you had a bad experience at Big Adventure.  Its NOT a place for kids under 4.  I have 2 year old twins and would never bring them there.  My 6 year old went to a birthday party last year there and we ended up in the ER with stitches from a piece of metal sticking out on one of the slides.  The place is a wild zoo and with 4 boys I could never watch them all at the same time.   My older two do like it there though and we visit about 2x a year.

We sometimes go to the Buckland Hills mall or enfield mall and play inside in the toddler areas.  I heard there was a fun place called kid city in connecticut that everyone raves about.  I'd also check out the amelia park childrens museum or holyoke childrens museum.  The enfield mall had a really cool, huge, toddler, indoor sandbox last week but I think it may just be there for the winter vacation.

JDaFonte
by New Member on Feb. 25, 2009 at 3:27 PM

If your child has a local library pass you can obtain all the local museum for free. Just ask for the specific museum passes you are going to. I do recommend calling the library ahead of time to make sure that they are available...but some of the libraries are linked, we have a southampton card, but can use it at forbes, williston,etc.

My 2 year old loved the eric carle museum as well as the holyoke one!

kavoo
by Member on Feb. 25, 2009 at 5:58 PM

I have been to the place you mentioned, and while it was fun for the kids, I was mildly horrified.  A couple good places:

holyoke childrens museum.  ona  weekday morning, not too crowded so much easier to keep track of little ones

kidstuff in springfield, over by Allan and cooley.  Nice place, clean, has a snack bar with organic treats

westfield childrens museum.  they love the ball room.  it is pricey though. 

I have never been, but I hear mention of Universal Kids in Northampton. 

Aidansmom22
by New Member on Sep. 29, 2009 at 8:23 AM

I know it's a haul for most of us that live up here in Western Mass, but the drive would be well worth it...In Canton CT on Route 44 there is place called JumpZone. It's awesome, and the kids love it (the parents are able to play on everything as well!)

It is essentially a HUGE room full of those Big bounce houses, but each of them has a different theme. Some of them are just for bouncing, some of them are like big obstacle courses(the parents usually LOVE this one) My son has been to 2 different birthday parties there, and I know lots of parents that will bring their kids there on cold/rainy days.

~*~Nichole~*~
Mother to Aidan 8/15/05

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)