Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

christmas ideas for extended family...

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2007 at 10:10 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 282 Total Views

Do you all buy for your extended family for example: parents, siblings, neices, nephews, etc...  Hubby & I are on a very tight budget & all I would really like to buy for is our daughter.  Is that selfish?  I was thinking of just getting pictures of our family or just our daughter & maybe giving that out as a gift to everyone, but is that rude?  & then, how do you deal with receiving gifts when you're not buying gifts for everyone else?  It makes me feel so guilty.  Anyways, I was just wondering if you do give gifts to the extended family & if so, what are some of the things that you give. 

Thanks,
Melissa

by on Sep. 2, 2007 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
dye
by on Sep. 2, 2007 at 10:21 PM
We cut down to buying for our kids and our parents (and each other, of course).   I explained to my family that we just couldn't swing buying for everyone anymore(mainly neices and nephews).  Told them to take whatever they would have spent on our kids and buy something extra for their own.  They all understood and most agreed to it.  I have one brother and sis-in-law that still buy for my kids, but I still don't buy for theirs.  I just figure that it's their choice and I can't change their minds.
nixpix
by Member on Sep. 2, 2007 at 10:41 PM
I have a huge family, so i try to keep gift giving mainly for the kids....if you have a Christmas party/family reunion, you could always suggest a White Elephant gift exchange, or pulling names....to help ease the burden on everyone.
Most of my family will be recieving at-a-glance calendars, or photo magnets, which i have just added to my inventory at my photo studio....it still costs me, but the items are much easier to mail.....and are a little less expensive!

www.nixpixstudio.net

angel4eternity
by New Member on Sep. 3, 2007 at 6:12 PM
Oh i know all to well how hard that can be. I only have one family member that we buy for and that is my mom. He has both parents, a brother and a sister and their spouses and their kids. We have a ton of people that we buy for each year in his family. We do end up getting something for them all. I had to learn to start shopping pretty much all year to be able to do it and get nice gifts for them all. You could also suggest that the family draw names before everyone starts to do the shopping.

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/angel4eternity
Cinder_E
by New Member on Sep. 9, 2007 at 7:47 PM
One suggestion I have is to give an ornament along with the picture of your family.  You can often find very good ornaments for a dollar or less. 

Another thing you could do is put together a little candy bag, kind of like the goody / loot bags you'd give away at a kids birthday party or a baby shower and tie it off with an inexpensive ornament.  They make those little decorative Christmas baggies that you can get like 20 for a dollar.

If that's still undoable you can add a news letter type thing with the picture and include jokes and recipes in that news letter.

mama.smith
by on Sep. 11, 2007 at 2:21 PM
I did the picture thing last year (my son was 6 months old) and people loved it.  It doesn't have to be an expensive gift for it to make an impact.  I personally think a photo or homemade gift is much better than a store bought one.  Everyone understands when money is tight, it is the thought behind the gift that means the most... I say go for it!!!!

My husband and I both have decent sized families and it get very expensive to buy for everyone.  With a 1 year old and another on the way in November/December we really can't afford to go all out this year.  That is why I am getting started early and planning on homemade gift baskets.  I am brainstorming ideas now but what I have come up with so far is....
apple butter with biscuit recipe in a jar or scone mix.... strawberry syrup with waffle mix.... pickled asparagus with bloody mary mixins.... homemade soaps or lotions.... layered cocoa in a jar with homemade chocolate dipped spoons... maybe a homemade Christmas Ornament... and that is as far as I have gotten.  I would love anyone elses ideas or baskets they have made in the past.  I was going to try and go with a "themed" basket but everyone in my family is so different I would be making a million different things.  The hard part will be the kids.  I think I am going to have to still go shopping for them... but that is what it is all about, right?
Mommy4two
by Member on Sep. 16, 2007 at 11:11 AM

Last year we had pictures of the kids taken our daughter was born on Nov. 7,06 and was in the hospital until Dec. 1 due to hypo thyroidism so I figured I wanted pictures and it would kill 2 birds with one stone. We didn't buy for any kids last year except for my husbands nephew b/c we went to a xmas party but we didn't see the others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN