Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our 3 yr old preschool goals for 2010-2011 school year

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2010 at 2:10 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 1014 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Math and Art:

Drawing shapes (currently can draw circles, recognize all shape)

Begin to color in lines (somewhat)

Play memory

Counting amounts (how many pigs are in the picture, etc)

Comparisons (bigger, smaller, longer, shorter, fast, slow, loud, soft)

Music time with mommy (asher "plays" his guitar or drums or recorder while i sing)

Reading, writing, spelling:

Letter tracing

Typing own name on computer with mom's help

Working on more phonics sounds (st, sh, ng, etc)

Geography:

Work on learning states on US map (currently knows IL, TX, NV, CA, and SK in Canada)

Science:

Working through the Flip Flap Body Book

Gardening, learning about how plants grow (need water, sunlight, etc)

Cooking (helping me bake, cook, how hot and cold change things)

Bible:

Read children's Bible story every day

Learn fruit of the Spirit (currently have done lessons on love, joy, and peace...)

Celebrate Biblical Holidays

Start learning 10 Commandments

by on Jul. 1, 2010 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
asherraifsmom
by on Jul. 1, 2010 at 2:14 PM

* Asher just turned 3 on June 13th *

What Asher currently knows as of his 3rd birthday:

alphabet and most of their sounds

1-20 recognition and counting

shapes

picks out instrumentation in a song

plays keyboard, guitar, drum

rinses dishes, sorts laundry, helps me cook

plays w/ blocks and puzzles

plays geometric shape memory game

several songs

has memorized his favorite books and "reads" them to me

all the common nursery rhymes

knows loud, soft, fast, slow, forward, backward

draws circles and ones

colors

takes photos with my old camera

types; we use the keyboard to sound out short words and spell them as he types them out.

asherraifsmom
by on Jul. 1, 2010 at 2:16 PM

With regard to me raising Asher, these are the books I want to read this year:

Positive Discipline for Preschoolers

Life Skills for Kids

Raising Emotionally Intelligent Children

kquad
by Member on Jul. 2, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Konnor is just 20 months, but we've been working on the alphabet and counting....

twyliatepeka
by Admin on Jul. 2, 2010 at 2:14 PM

these are things i will mpst likley be working on with grace as well, in one form or another anyway since in some of these areas she is not as advanced as asher. thanks for for posting this list!

vnfsmama
by Member on Jul. 2, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Sounds like you are ready for full steam ahead! How structured do you plan to be? I am less concerned with specific skills with dd and more about working out how we will focus on learning daily beyond spontaneous play and talk.

asherraifsmom
by on Jul. 2, 2010 at 9:19 PM

I'm less structured in how it is presented to him, and more structured in getting it all organized in my head. i'm a VERY structured, organized, left brained individual, but I don't want to put too much structure on my son who is only just turned 3.  Though, he asks every single day now to "do school"...sometimes even over going outside to play...I incorporate the goals i have in mind for him throughout his play time all day long, but he considers "school" to be the sitting at the table part, writing letters, working in the work book, colors, crafting, etc...which we usually do the writing and work booking in no longer than 15 minute increments.

Quoting vnfsmama:

Sounds like you are ready for full steam ahead! How structured do you plan to be? I am less concerned with specific skills with dd and more about working out how we will focus on learning daily beyond spontaneous play and talk.

vnfsmama
by Member on Jul. 3, 2010 at 2:33 PM

So you get out his stuff, say "It's time for...", let him go a while till he starts to lose steam, or do you set a timer, stop when the lesson is learned, what? I have no idea how I want to set up the more structured part of dd's learning...

V & M's mama

busy mom

twyliatepeka
by Admin on Jul. 3, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Quoting asherraifsmom:

I'm less structured in how it is presented to him, and more structured in getting it all organized in my head. i'm a VERY structured, organized, left brained individual, but I don't want to put too much structure on my son who is only just turned 3.  Though, he asks every single day now to "do school"...sometimes even over going outside to play...I incorporate the goals i have in mind for him throughout his play time all day long, but he considers "school" to be the sitting at the table part, writing letters, working in the work book, colors, crafting, etc...which we usually do the writing and work booking in no longer than 15 minute increments.

Quoting vnfsmama:

dd is that way too. she will say she wants to do school & if i pull out a puzzle or game she says "not that!!"

asherraifsmom
by on Jul. 3, 2010 at 4:56 PM

yeah, i'll say, "Hey buddy, want to do school? Or It's time for school," or whatever...sometimes i ask, but at least at this age, its not like he'd ever turn me down. Usually he's beggging all day to do school.

I don't set a timer; I try to pick a time when he'd had a nap and is well rested and has a full belly so he can focus better, and I get out the workbook and i try to pick pages that i want to work with him on, and we go from there....and when he starts getting restless or isnt paying attention or wahtever, then i close it up and say "okay, school time is over, how about we play ball?" or something more active...it just tends to be around 15 minutes at a time because that is what he can handle right now before getting restless. I dont force it if he's not in the mood, which is what i'm afraid might happen with an abitrary time set with a timer (but i suppose not necessarily if you just dont set the timer for too long)...I figure we'll just  slowlly expect more the older he gets....ya know?

Quoting vnfsmama:

So you get out his stuff, say "It's time for...", let him go a while till he starts to lose steam, or do you set a timer, stop when the lesson is learned, what? I have no idea how I want to set up the more structured part of dd's learning...

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Jul. 4, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Quoting asherraifsmom:

yeah, i'll say, "Hey buddy, want to do school? Or It's time for school," or whatever...sometimes i ask, but at least at this age, its not like he'd ever turn me down. Usually he's beggging all day to do school.

I don't set a timer; I try to pick a time when he'd had a nap and is well rested and has a full belly so he can focus better, and I get out the workbook and i try to pick pages that i want to work with him on, and we go from there....and when he starts getting restless or isnt paying attention or wahtever, then i close it up and say "okay, school time is over, how about we play ball?" or something more active...it just tends to be around 15 minutes at a time because that is what he can handle right now before getting restless. I dont force it if he's not in the mood, which is what i'm afraid might happen with an abitrary time set with a timer (but i suppose not necessarily if you just dont set the timer for too long)...I figure we'll just  slowlly expect more the older he gets....ya know?

Quoting vnfsmama:

We always did something similar. We do school at the same time every day. That way the kids always know when it's happening and it's no surprise. For preschool we always did 23-30 minute lesson followed by 30min of snack/playtime (I have 2 very active boys). If they hadn't finished the lesson in that time then I know one of 3 things happened - I overplanned (too much for that time), the kids didn't know the material well enough for the assignment, or they are ready to move on to a new lesson as they were bored outta their gourd. Now that my youngest is 5 we're a bit more structured, but I've always had their workboxes ready for the week. The kids pull out their box and can do one or more lessons- if they complete all weeks work on Monday, then no more school that week, or they can spread it out all week long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)