Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

afraid hes going to be behind

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:43 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 316 Total Views

hello! im deciding to teach my 4 yr old the basics before he reaches kindergarten next year. im so afraid though that ill do a lousy job and hell be behind. anyone have any advice on what i should be doing? is this feeling normal?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
azmom2boys
by Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 5:33 AM

It is normal for you to be worried about doing the right thing for your preschooler. There is so much pressure to put kids in preschool and that if they are not they will end up behind.

But the reality is that moms can do a fine job providing preschoolers all of the intellectual enrichment they need before kindergarten. Read to your child pointing out letters, colors, or other things as you read. Take your child on field trips to the museum, zoo, etc. Teach your child with everyday activities such as cooking, gardening, or other activities. Play regularly with your child. Join a playgroup with kids similar in age to yours for social interaction.

Renee, author of

www.thesmarterpreschooler.com

,Award winning book

4everInBluJeans
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 5:48 AM

If you are plann ing on letting him go to a public K class next year, chances are much higher that you will teach him more than he needs to know and K will seem boring to him.  I suggest that you go to your local library and pick up the Ed, Hirsch book called What Your Kindergarten Child Needs To Know.  That book should be all you need.  However, you could also go to your local school and ask for a list of their K objectives. You might also be able to get that online since most schools post that nowadays.

If you want more fun and educational ideas, you could go to http://www.letteroftheweek.com/ and http://www.starfall.com/

Remember that the same mom who taught him how to speak a foreign language is the mom who can successfully teach him preschool objectives.  Yes, you taught him a foreign language. Think about it.  He did not come forth from the womb knowing how to speak your native tongue, yet you taught him how to speak it fluently in about three years.  You never sat him down with a book or a teacher's manual. You had no lesson plans.  You just taught him naturally.  Preschool at home need never be much harder than that.  You can do this!

Sharon

camsmom2
by New Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 8:20 AM

thanks..that makes me feel better and i appreciate the advice!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)