Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm in a time crunch and need quick advice!

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2011 at 12:02 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 599 Total Views

Hi there.  My name is Dawn, and I've just joined this group.  I have a 4-1/2 year old (& a 13mo old), and we are moving to Angola, Africa in approximately 1 month, and plan to stay about 2 years.  There are only 2 schools there taught in English, and they are extremely expensive (around $20k/yr), so I am thinking I need to homeschool ds so that he will be ready for 1st or 2nd grade when we return to the US.  I am terrified of homeschooling bc I'm very undisciplined (although I went to college for 13 years).  I am assuming I can get some materials/curricula online, but feel I should gather whatever concrete materials I can before we leave.  What would you do if you were me?  Just getting book rec's for how to determine learning style etc. made my eyes glaze over and I started to panic....  Thanks so much for any advice!

by on Mar. 21, 2011 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
sunnymommy122
by on Mar. 21, 2011 at 3:52 PM

I am homeschooling my son for preschool using ABCmouse.com 

I have only been using it for about a month now and he really enjoys it.  He is only 3 years old.  It has programs through kindergarten.  They are currently working on getting 1st and 2nd grade. 

Again, I have only been using it for a month so I can't see it's the solution to your problem. 

Good luck and safe travels!

oahoah
by on Mar. 26, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Just saw this on another site, it lists what knowledge is needed at what age/grade. http://www.worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study.html. I think the experience of living in another country will be an enhancement to his life.  I would keep it to basics: math, reading/writing. I think as long as you will have internet wherever you are going you will be able to figure it out as you go along.  Enjoy your time.

LoreleiSieja
by Member on Mar. 27, 2011 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I would spend as MUCH time as possible, doing field trips around Africa. What a wonderful learning experience!  And I wouldn't worry too much about academics, preschool, or being ready for 1st or 2nd grade.  I'm a preschool teacher, too! 

Preschools are "extra".  They are not mandatory.  One of these days, parents are going to realize that.  You can teach your child everything he needs to know to start first grade without spending more than ten minutes a day in "formal" education.

Teach him his colors.  Teach him the alphabet, and the sounds the letters make.  You MIGHT teach him to print the letters, but young children lack the dexterity to write until  about age 5.  You can teach him to cut with scissors, to hold a pencil the right way.  Teach him to use the toilet and wash his hands.  Teach him to brush his teeth, dress himself.  To say "please" and "thank you".  Teach him to take turns, and to be thoughtful of others.  Schools need children to enter first grade READY to learn.  They don't need little know-it-alls who already read and write and add and subtract but are hyperactive, distractive bullies.

You might try reading anything by Raymond and Dorothy Moore, specifically "Homeschool Burnout" - which stresses that boys especially do far better if taught to read at an older age, than pushed in the preschool years. 

You have a rare opportunity, being overseas!  Travel, learning about different people and cultures, that is a kind of education other parents would give their right arm for!  Take advantage of it all, and don't sweat the small stuff. 

I wouldn't worry about being undisciplined.  Being spontaneous and fun and full of energy will make you a better teacher for the lower grades.  If you still feel you need a curriculum, I couldn't recommend KONOS curriculum enough.  It is a unit study approach, will cover everything EXCEPT math and learning to read, for several years.  There are several KONOS books, so you can do this curriculum from preK-12.  It was written by two moms with six boys between them, so it is especially popular for wiggly boys who don't want to sit at a desk. 

Good luck, and God bless!

www.raisingcreativechildren.com

Nurturning Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

LuckyLeslie
by Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:33 AM

My son LOVES Abcmouse.com!  I had not realized they were working on 1st and 2nd grade.  I am so glad to hear that b/c he is already on level 5 and I would love for him to be able to keep using it.

Quoting sunnymommy122:

I am homeschooling my son for preschool using ABCmouse.com 

I have only been using it for about a month now and he really enjoys it.  He is only 3 years old.  It has programs through kindergarten.  They are currently working on getting 1st and 2nd grade. 

Again, I have only been using it for a month so I can't see it's the solution to your problem. 

Good luck and safe travels!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN