Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ideas for ABCs

Posted by on May. 8, 2011 at 1:59 PM
  • 21 Replies
  • 808 Total Views

dd (shes about to be 4)has trouble keeping the letters in order. she knows them when she ses them but as far as saying them in order she flubs it everytime. she is smart & i know she can get it.

so i need some tips on how to get her going in order :)

confused

by on May. 8, 2011 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
silk72
by New Member on May. 8, 2011 at 10:35 PM

LOL... I thought my dd was the only one with that problem. She can recognize all of them anywhere, for now I just decide to let her be then come back to it.

looking forward to see what respond you get.

twyliatepeka
by Admin on May. 8, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Quoting silk72:

LOL... I thought my dd was the only one with that problem. She can recognize all of them anywhere, for now I just decide to let her be then come back to it.

looking forward to see what respond you get.

its so funny to me that she knows them all but not in order. we play games where she pics the correct letter to finish the words & she can get them right but ask her to sing her ABCs & you are just outta luck.

abcd f and g hyj lnmo srt uyv wxyz :)

thundersky
by on May. 9, 2011 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this

she sounds like a visual learner so may be have her line up flash cards in order and say them. try just working with groups of 5 at a time  then putting the groups all together. then if she can see them she might be able to remember and say them.

twyliatepeka
by Admin on May. 9, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Quoting thundersky:

she sounds like a visual learner so may be have her line up flash cards in order and say them. try just working with groups of 5 at a time  then putting the groups all together. then if she can see them she might be able to remember and say them.

that is a good idea! thanks :) i will try this & see what happens.

chicagoheather
by Member on May. 12, 2011 at 8:32 PM

We taped letter cards up along a long hallway in our house (in alphabetical order, of course!) so each time my son walked down the hallway he could touch the letters as he said them.  I think that helped reinforce the proper order since he could actually see the letters as he said them.  I do think remembering all the letters in order is something that will come with time, but maybe something written would make it happen even more quickly?

Alimitch
by Admin on May. 12, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I bought the letter cards from the $ store and have them taped to the door in the playroom. I also sung the alphabet song to him a lot when he was a baby (it was what calmed him)

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on May. 13, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I also highly recommend the Leap Frog Letter Factory video - my boys LOVED it when learning letters and letter sounds! Then I hung flash cards up on the wall, so they could look at them, sing the songs, etc several times a day...I think they became confident with letters in like 2 weeks with that video.

twyliatepeka
by Admin on May. 13, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

I also highly recommend the Leap Frog Letter Factory video - my boys LOVED it when learning letters and letter sounds! Then I hung flash cards up on the wall, so they could look at them, sing the songs, etc several times a day...I think they became confident with letters in like 2 weeks with that video.

we rented that when we had netflix & she loved it, i had totally forgot about it.

thundersky
by on May. 14, 2011 at 6:03 PM

yea that is a great video. they have one called numbers ahoy that is really good too. my dauhter asks for them all the time. they have them streaming on netflix.

Quoting twyliatepeka:

Quoting KickButtMama:

we rented that when we had netflix & she loved it, i had totally forgot about it.

twyliatepeka
by Admin on May. 15, 2011 at 1:38 AM

Quoting thundersky:

yea that is a great video. they have one called numbers ahoy that is really good too. my dauhter asks for them all the time. they have them streaming on netflix.

Quoting twyliatepeka:

Quoting KickButtMama:

we have math circus. i wanted to get numbers ahoy it looks so cute.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)