Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kid is almost 3 1/2 and does'nt know his abc's

Posted by on May. 18, 2011 at 4:34 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 231 Total Views

I teach him his abc's all the time. He does not know these.

I teach him his numbers all the time. He can count to five.

I teach him his colors all the time, he knows like a few of them. Like maybe 3.

I feel like I am wayyyy behind. Am I accurate in this??

by on May. 18, 2011 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mamadowns
by on May. 18, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I don't know about you but part of the reason I homeschool is so my children can learn at their own pace.  Some kids get things quicker than others. 

micheledo
by Member on May. 18, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Relax and let me make you feel good about yourself! :D  Ha ha.

My 5 year old DOES know what all the letters look like and can write them, but there is NO way he can tell you his A,B,C's.  My 4 year old recognizes his letters but can't say them (the song) and can't write all of them accurately.  However, I am in awe at my 2 year old.  She walks around singing/trying to sing her ABC's.

Based on how my 5 year old learned to talk (NEVER repeated things, never parroted us, didn't talk until 3), I am convinced he is soaking it up.  When he is ready he AMAZES me at what he knows, though you would have NO clue he knew it until he was ready to tell you.  I was sitting next to him in church and he wrote MOM and DAD on his paper.  I started crying and was ready to interrupt my husband who was preaching!!!!!!!!!!  Who knew!!!???  He had been paying attention all those years.

So, while sometimes I am a bit emberrassed to hear other parents talk about all their kids can do and know - I think my oldest is a brain and will reveal that to us in his time.  :D

twyliatepeka
by Admin on May. 18, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Quoting mamadowns:

I don't know about you but part of the reason I homeschool is so my children can learn at their own pace.  Some kids get things quicker than others. 

i totally agree :)

my dd is turning 4 this week..well tomorrow actually & she can't seem to get her abc's in order. she can identify them but the order is just not something she can get yet. her numbers are the same way. she can tell you 1-10 when she sees them but after 5 she just gets lost.

be paitent & he will get it. just relax & sneak it in in games so he doesn't realize he is learning them :)

Alimitch
by Admin on May. 19, 2011 at 7:57 AM

Did you ask because of out conversation? Don't worry about it. He will pick it up when he is ready. Take my suggestions and just stay consistent with it.

Quoting ohgodimamom:

I teach him his abc's all the time. He does not know these.

I teach him his numbers all the time. He can count to five.

I teach him his colors all the time, he knows like a few of them. Like maybe 3.

I feel like I am wayyyy behind. Am I accurate in this??

chicagoheather
by Member on May. 19, 2011 at 10:16 AM

I agree with what everyone has said -- children develop at their own rates.  That's one of the the biggest benefits of homeschooling.  You can work them exactly at their level.  To help guide you as you work with your son there is a great article with tips for how to introduce the alphabet to young children.  Also I've used some printable worksheets that focus on letter awareness.  Maybe those would be helpful for you to.  I think just by continuing to work with him, he will eventually master it.

melyen
by New Member on May. 19, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I had 5 year old twins, one could read and the other couldn't recognize all their letters. Some kids learn at a different pace and I wouldn't be worried about those things just yet.

He may be color blind, not like to or be good at telling what he knows on command, he may be just fine and is learning less tangible things right now.

lvaughn26
by Member on May. 19, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Every child learns differently. My 3yr old is an auditory learner. Put something to a song and she has it memorized in 3 days. I was doing letter of the week with her for about 10 wks and she was not remembering anything. My husband suggested the Leap-Frog DVDs. In about a week she could recognize all the letters in any order and could tell you their sound. Through music she has learned to count and is learning her days of the week. I've used art to help her learn her shapes and colors. The most important thing is to make it fun and make it a part of every day life. We look at letters at the grocery store. We count the number of apples we put in a cart. We look for shapes and colors at the park. She does not realize that she is learning. You have to be willing to change. If something is not working, take a break and try a different approach. Just observe your son for a while and see how he picks up on things. Use this in your teaching.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)