Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else using (or plan on using) Sonlight?

Posted by on May. 18, 2011 at 9:26 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 767 Total Views

When I start homeschooling in August, I will have a just turned 3 year old DD and a just turned 4 year old DS.

After ALOT of research and reviews I have decided to go with Sonlight as the core curriculum. My DD is pretty smart for almost 3. She knows her letters and their sounds, most of her shapes, can memorize songs, knows her colors, animals and sounds, a lot of fruits and vegetables, and have a vocab of over 500 words. DS can do all that, plus can write his name, his sisters name, does word and graphic indentification, and basic addition and subtraction using items, of course... not in his head yet. I am going to put both kids on Core P4/5 and see how it goes....

Is anyone else using Sonlight?

by on May. 18, 2011 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
twyliatepeka
by Admin on May. 18, 2011 at 10:42 PM

i am not using a box curriculum yet. dd is 4 (may19th) & i use a lot of free online resources as well as inexpensive workbooks.

girlsclubmom
by New Member on May. 19, 2011 at 7:15 AM

Quoting twyliatepeka:

i am not using a box curriculum yet. dd is 4 (may19th) & i use a lot of free online resources as well as inexpensive workbooks.

Can you share the online resources?

lvaughn26
by Member on May. 19, 2011 at 1:37 PM

I like http://www.abcmouse.com/. My DD just turned 3 in March and she asks everyday to get on this website. We also do handwriting practice so she is learning to write her name and some simple words that she knows. Both of the girls are doing the Your Baby Can read series as well as learning sign language and some basic French and Spanish words. For the French and Spanish we have a DVD that we use and have some books that we read. I know French, but not Spanish so I'm having a friend help me with this.

twyliatepeka
by Admin on May. 20, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Quoting girlsclubmom:

Quoting twyliatepeka:

Can you share the online resources?

i will make a seprate post just for that :) its kind of a long list...lol

LuckyLeslie
by Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:27 AM

My DS also plays abcmouse!  He turned 3 in Feburary and has been doing it for several months at this point.  It was hard for him to control the mouse at first so I would just have him point and I would do the clicking.  Now he can do it all by himself and I can even go take a shower while he plays on it. :)  He also knows a lot of sign language and is learning Spanish through a class that is offered here (Bilingual Beginnings).

Quoting lvaughn26:

I like http://www.abcmouse.com/. My DD just turned 3 in March and she asks everyday to get on this website. We also do handwriting practice so she is learning to write her name and some simple words that she knows. Both of the girls are doing the Your Baby Can read series as well as learning sign language and some basic French and Spanish words. For the French and Spanish we have a DVD that we use and have some books that we read. I know French, but not Spanish so I'm having a friend help me with this.

Mommy2Phenley
by Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 3:35 PM

We use Sonlight. We're on P3/4 this year and doing P4/5 next year. With a 3 & 4 year old, have you considered starting with P3/4? P4/5 is considered to make a great Kindergarten year. And if you stick with SL, you don't want to move to Core A too quickly. Sonlight core level has a lot more to do with maturity level than academic level. It's generally not recommended to do core A until at least 5.5. The concepts are just more than a younger child is ready to deal with. Even if they can listen through the stories, they won't really get as much out of it.

We're doing P4/5 next year when she'll be 4, but then we'll be taking a year with something else to hold off core A until she's 6. Unless I don't feel she's even getting enough out of P4/5 this coming year, in which case I'll do a repeat of P4/5 and mix in all of P3/4 as well for her K year. While advancing her in other subject areas like math and phonics, of course.

And I also have a bright child, so I know where you're coming from on that. When I first started looking into SL a year ago, I was looking at doing P4/5 (she'd have been newly 3 when I started) because of how advanced she was and was encouraged not to jump so fast. I'm glad we didn't. P3/4 has been a lot of fun.

metooo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 7:07 AM

I don't use a curriculum but I've heard what mom2phenley said about sonlight before too. Stick with the age it reccomends. I'm a big proponent of play in preschool even for "bright" children.  Skills are improtant, but learning how to think and learn on their own is more important. When they play with open ended toys that is what they are learning. They are discovering new ways of doing things, they are learning on their own.  I had this really neat article a while back on why we shouldn't  "teach" preschoolers and how much more they learn when they are the ones to make the connections.  I'm precoffee here so don't mind me haha. Just be careful it's easy to get really excited to start homeschooling with your oldest and push to hard. There really is nothing wrong with just letting them play and saving curriculum for kindergarten + :) 

jen7232
by Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

No, but I did use their reading books list to see what my library has available. I'd like to order Sonlight, but think I'll have to pass since I plan to not homeschool preschool next year. I'm not using any set curriculum right now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)