Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

FINALLY Made Our First Sensory Bin! (PICS)

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 4:39 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 1953 Total Views
3 moms liked this

So, I have had several bags of various dried beans in my cabinet for QUITE some time now, as well as some little plastic gardening tools, but I could never seem to find just the right bin for it all (okay, so I continuously forgot to get one...). This evening, however, I discovered that the perfect size plastic tote had been in our spare room (completely empty too!) this entire time.

I am so excited, and Lucy Rose LOVES it, as I hoped she would. The only issue? Well, let's just say that I now understand why one of my friends has her bins like these setting inside one of those cheap plastic swimming pools. Lucy Rose went to bed some time ago, and I am still stepping on beans and split peas. :)

In a nutshell, I am....a hippie-dippie; music craving; picture painting; story writing; kitchen loving; nature loving; vegetarian meal diggin'; OCD having; semi co-sleeping; non-spanking; big family wanting; homemaking; wife of a soldier; SAHM to the beautiful Lucy Rose!

by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 4:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarahsmommy1008
by Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:08 AM

How old is she - I've been thinking about doing it for DD but wonder if I've waited too long.

metooo
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Very fun!  

Sarahsmommy my two older kids ages 6 and 8 still play with our sensory bins. :) 

KarmicChild
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Lucy Rose just turned three on December 1, and while I wish I had gotten around to making it about a year ago, she has hardly touched her other toys (except, of course, to see what she can do with them in the bin...lol) since I introduced her to it.  Children as old as twelve have been known to play with similar bins.  If you think about it, it is the ultimate play center for families with children in a broad age range.  It starts as a tool for developing dexterity and introducing toddlers to new textures, and later can be used for everything from imaginative play to simple physics lessons!

In a nutshell, I am....a hippie-dippie; music craving; picture painting; story writing; kitchen loving; nature loving; vegetarian meal diggin'; OCD having; semi co-sleeping; non-spanking; big family wanting; homemaking; wife of a soldier; SAHM to the beautiful Lucy Rose!

twyliatepeka
by Admin on Feb. 27, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Quoting Sarahsmommy1008:

How old is she - I've been thinking about doing it for DD but wonder if I've waited too long.

mine is 4 & she still loves stuff like this so dos my 16yr old :)  never to old!

mynameismuerte
by New Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Ooh this is awesome!  We just colored rice today for a sensory bin!  Hopefully I get to put it together tomorrow!

KarmicChild
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Quoting mynameismuerte:

Ooh this is awesome!  We just colored rice today for a sensory bin!  Hopefully I get to put it together tomorrow!

We are going to a friend's house on Friday (my only homeschooling friend) to make a big batch of rainbow rice to split between our girls (she has three  with one on the way!).  I will also be getting a pool like hers! lol

bttrflyvld
by Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Looks like fun. We love doing these.  Both my 2 and 4 year olds love these.

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Feb. 27, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Whoot Whoot! What fun!!

livingmydestiny
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 11:09 PM

This looks so neat.  I would love to do something similar.  Thanks for sharing!!

Sarahsmommy1008
by Member on Feb. 29, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Thanks so much for posting - I made one for DD yesterday and she played in it for quite a while - it was great until she said "Mommy, I can make a rainbow!"  She grabbed handfuls and tossed it over her head and out to each side - we had stuff everywhere!!!  Technically, she was making a rainbow shape with her hands ... : ) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)