Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We Recycled Our Old Broken Crayons!!

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 1971 Total Views
3 moms liked this

If your home is anything like my childhood home was, you have more than a few broken and lackluster crayons hidden away in various drawers and craft/art boxes that no one uses, but that you just cannot bring yourself to throw out. Well, my own home was starting to acquire such a collection (thanks, in large part, to my darling toddler). What to do? Well, you could always recycle them into newer and more fabulous crayons!

I made mine multi-colored, but you could certainly color code the mold instead. Also, feel free to experiment with other shapes. I once saw a blog where a lady used this method to make heart-shaped crayons as Valentine's gifts for her son's class!

1) Gather up all the crayons, peel away every little shred of paper, and chop them up into little pieces (no too little, of course, or all of your new crayons will be brown/black!). I used one of my cheap flexible plastic cutting mats so that my bamboo board wouldn't get all waxy:

2) Fill the spaces of a silicone baking mold with the pieces. Don't be afraid to pile a little high, as it will melt down lower than you think. I didn't consider this, and so my crayons are a little thinner than I had hoped (they still work fine though)

3) Melt the crayons in a 250F oven for 15 minutes. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING FROM OVEN!!! Remember, this is a wobbly silicone pan full of hot melted wax. This should go without saying, but...well, you know how thoughtless some people can be!

4) Set the pan on a rack or wooden cutting board and let cool for at LEAST an hour. Please note that the tops will appear set within the first 20 minutes or so, but that the bottoms will still be quite the opposite! Once the crayons are set up, just pop them out. I set mine on a plate for a little while longer before testing them, as the bottoms will still be a little soft until they air dry. ENJOY!

My daughter loves how the color on the paper "magically changes" as she draws with these multi-hued creations!

In a nutshell, I am....a hippie-dippie; music craving; picture painting; story writing; kitchen loving; nature loving; vegetarian meal diggin'; OCD having; semi co-sleeping; non-spanking; big family wanting; homemaking; wife of a soldier; SAHM to the beautiful Lucy Rose!

by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Feb. 27, 2012 at 5:40 PM

We also made candles out of old crayons! Same process but poured the melted wax into a candle mold w/ a wick. We've never tried burning them though..lol..

KarmicChild
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

We also made candles out of old crayons! Same process but poured the melted wax into a candle mold w/ a wick. We've never tried burning them though..lol..

I didn't think of that!  I will have to try it when these get too stubby to work with. :)

In a nutshell, I am....a hippie-dippie; music craving; picture painting; story writing; kitchen loving; nature loving; vegetarian meal diggin'; OCD having; semi co-sleeping; non-spanking; big family wanting; homemaking; wife of a soldier; SAHM to the beautiful Lucy Rose!

livingmydestiny
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 11:27 PM

How awesome!!!  I just ordered some dinosaur silicone baking molds to make these.  Thanks so much for sharing.

twyliatepeka
by Admin on Feb. 28, 2012 at 11:08 PM

made them for christmas year before last & they were a big hit! going to make more soon.

metooo
by Bronze Member on Feb. 29, 2012 at 9:31 AM

My kids love doing this too. :) 

Mandy121907
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I love this idea!!!  Will have to try it this weekend!!!

twyliatepeka
by Admin on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:35 AM
I need to do this again. We have so many crayons & dd only likes the long sharp ones.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lisemicheal
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:02 AM

going to have to try this. 

metooo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:13 PM

We did drip candles using crayons. Just keep dipping the wicks in the. The kids enjoyed it. :) 

Quoting KickButtMama:

blessedhappymom
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Those lil broken pieces are great for helping young writers hold the crayon properly. I was tossing mine out until my son's occupational therapist told me how to use them :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)