Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We Recycled Our Old Broken Crayons!!

Posted by   + Show Post

If your home is anything like my childhood home was, you have more than a few broken and lackluster crayons hidden away in various drawers and craft/art boxes that no one uses, but that you just cannot bring yourself to throw out. Well, my own home was starting to acquire such a collection (thanks, in large part, to my darling toddler). What to do? Well, you could always recycle them into newer and more fabulous crayons!

I made mine multi-colored, but you could certainly color code the mold instead. Also, feel free to experiment with other shapes. I once saw a blog where a lady used this method to make heart-shaped crayons as Valentine's gifts for her son's class!

1) Gather up all the crayons, peel away every little shred of paper, and chop them up into little pieces (no too little, of course, or all of your new crayons will be brown/black!). I used one of my cheap flexible plastic cutting mats so that my bamboo board wouldn't get all waxy:

2) Fill the spaces of a silicone baking mold with the pieces. Don't be afraid to pile a little high, as it will melt down lower than you think. I didn't consider this, and so my crayons are a little thinner than I had hoped (they still work fine though)

3) Melt the crayons in a 250F oven for 15 minutes. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING FROM OVEN!!! Remember, this is a wobbly silicone pan full of hot melted wax. This should go without saying, but...well, you know how thoughtless some people can be!

4) Set the pan on a rack or wooden cutting board and let cool for at LEAST an hour. Please note that the tops will appear set within the first 20 minutes or so, but that the bottoms will still be quite the opposite! Once the crayons are set up, just pop them out. I set mine on a plate for a little while longer before testing them, as the bottoms will still be a little soft until they air dry. ENJOY!

My daughter loves how the color on the paper "magically changes" as she draws with these multi-hued creations!

In a nutshell, I am....a hippie-dippie; music craving; picture painting; story writing; kitchen loving; nature loving; vegetarian meal diggin'; OCD having; semi co-sleeping; non-spanking; big family wanting; homemaking; wife of a soldier; SAHM to the beautiful Lucy Rose!

by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM
Replies (11-18):
vnfsmama
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Cool! I don't have any silicone pans... crying mini

LuckyLeslie
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:02 PM

We made square crayons just like this before even seeing this.  Funny that we both made the same shape. 

Platinum_Mommy
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I've heard of this before but never tried it... This looks really great though!

RhineAndShine
by New Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:31 PM
They look great!
katinahat
by New Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:34 PM

You can also shave them into tinier pieces (or use a food processor), then sprinkle them between two sheets of wax paper and iron them :) It turns them into "stained glass" that you can cut into specific shapes and hang in the windows.

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, homeschooling, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

stampingdimples
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Sorry, but how do I stop getting the preschooll messages?  I now have an 8 year old and fine them in my emails daily.  Great site just don't need anymore.

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

On the right side of the screen, clich on 'more options' and change settings

Quoting stampingdimples:

Sorry, but how do I stop getting the preschooll messages?  I now have an 8 year old and fine them in my emails daily.  Great site just don't need anymore.

Home Educators Toolbox / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / KBM Creations / Pintrest / ETSY

Albert Einstein --
"It is, in fact nothing short a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom."
"Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid."

3kidz123
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Thanks! I'm buying some dino trays and hello kitty trays to make these for stocking stuffers! The kids are going to love it :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN