Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you taught your preschooler a second language?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:46 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 784 Total Views

I want to start teaching DD the basics of Spanish, but I'm not sure how to approach to concept of languages.  Has anyone done this who can give me some ideas?

by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
metooo
by Bronze Member on Feb. 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I never have, only because I don't know a second language. I really wish I did though. I would just go with immersion and start speaking as much in spanish to her as you can. :) 

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Feb. 29, 2012 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Honestly, we just start using words and phrases. Think about how you taught her to speak English. At this point you won't be doing grammar lessons and such. I used to count w/ my boys in English, Spanish & French. I would do the same w/ common phrases... "yo no say, je ne sai pas, mean I don't know!" (btw these were written phonetically, not accurately.)
lisemicheal
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I speak french (actually i read and understand it better than I speak it) and know some spanish and german.  We are doing our best to teach our daughter hello, goodbye, where is the restroom, etc right now.  She is really good about being able to say hello and goodbye in 6 languages.  But that is from a card game we play called Hello Friends.  She also knows a bit of chinese from watching Kai Lan.   I also read books and we look at picture books from Usborne Books which are in french and spanish.  

Lise, mommy to Jea Come join the fun to read and play games with your whole family.  Check out our blog!

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Feb. 29, 2012 at 3:19 PM
Quoting metooo:

I never have, only because I don't know a second language. I really wish I did though. I would just go with immersion and start speaking as much in spanish to her as you can. :) 

I spoke German as a very young child, but sadly refused to speak it when we moved to the US for fear of being different. I only took 2 years of Frenk in high school and really only remembered'i don't know'. One thing. Love about HS is when the kids wanna learn something, I can learn it as well! LOL

Ask me how you can make money sitting on your couch enjoy books with your children! It's the most amazing opportunity I've ever seen!!    Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education / The Usborne Learning Fairy

Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

twyliatepeka
by Admin on Feb. 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM

we plan to i just have not gotten the courage to start yet. she wants to learn sign language, we watch Swithched at Birth & she is starting to pick up a few signs.

Joellen3797
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Quoting KickButtMama:

Honestly, we just start using words and phrases. Think about how you taught her to speak English. At this point you won't be doing grammar lessons and such. I used to count w/ my boys in English, Spanish & French. I would do the same w/ common phrases... "yo no say, je ne sai pas, mean I don't know!" (btw these were written phonetically, not accurately.)

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Feb. 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM
Quoting twyliatepeka:

we plan to i just have not gotten the courage to start yet. she wants to learn sign language, we watch Swithched at Birth & she is starting to pick up a few signs.

Check out the vids at www.signingtime.com

And the boys and I teach early sign and have out together vids at www.signingspot.webs.com

Ask me how you can make money sitting on your couch enjoy books with your children! It's the most amazing opportunity I've ever seen!!    Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education / The Usborne Learning Fairy

Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

twyliatepeka
by Admin on Feb. 29, 2012 at 9:40 PM

thanks!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting twyliatepeka:

Check out the vids at www.signingtime.com

And the boys and I teach early sign and have out together vids at www.signingspot.webs.com

Mommy2Phenley
by Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 4:39 PM

We do ASL. We use a lot of Signing Time, but also teach it by just using sign throughout our day. Signing Time is great for getting started and for vocabulary. You can pick up a bit of grammar here and there if you watch closely, but it's not taught. So DD gets that mostly through me signing with her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)