Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First the back story (not trying to brag). - My DS is 3 as of 2 months ago.  He has always been a very bright child.  He really excells intellectually.  I was trying to take things slowly with what I was teaching him, but when he picks it up so quickly it is hard.  Plus he ASKED to learn to read "all by hisself."  How could I say no to that.  So as of now he can read on a very beginner level.  He can sound out most words if they follow the normal rules.  He doesn't always want to sound out though and those times he just tries to guess.  He can also recognize a good many site words.  He can count to 100 by 1's, 10's, 5's, and 2's (looking at the chart for this one).  He can add on his fingers or other objects and can do a little subtraction with manipulatives as well.  He knows all his basic colors and shapes.  He has a very advanced vocabulary.  He can sign a lot of different words, but doesn't really sign phrases just individual words.  He is learning Spanish.  He knows how to count to 10, his alphabeto, some feeling words, trasportation words, etc. 

So the problem is that we are not sure if we want to homeschool once he gets old enough for conventional school.  I go back and forth.  I am worried that if he continues learning at his current rate he will be WAY ahead of his peers in 2 years.  On the moments I want to continue to homeschool him I am thinking he needs to go ahead and move up to kindergarten material since he has already learned a good bit of the things covered in kindergarten.  Then there are the days I am leaning towards putting him in public school and I worry that I am setting him up for boredom and therefore misbehavior.  But like I said he ASKED to learn to read and most days he is asking me if it is time for preschool long before it is time (we wait for dd's nap).  I do NOT want to hold him back, but don't know if there is such a thing as him learning too much too early. 

Thoughts?

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:42 PM
Replies (11-19):
lisemicheal
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Whree are you located?  Check out the homeschool conferences in your area?  Many of the curriculum providers attend these and have books setup for you to puruse and/or buy. 

I am in SC and there is one coming up here Jun 7-9th in Beaufort.  And there is another one in Charlott in August.  Let me know if you would like the links.

Thanks

Lise

Quoting LuckyLeslie:

Thanks so much!  I have so much to learn!  We have done Signing Time since he was about 5-6 months old and he uses Kumon workbooks now (and loves them).  I have heard of Sonlight and Little Pim, but I need to read up on the other things you listed.  I really just wish there was a place I could go pick up each of these things and look through them. 

Take 2 of my reply :)

Thanks so much for all the words of encouragement and advice!

Mommy2Phenley - What Curriculum do you use?

metooo - I think he is behind socially.  How exactly do I teach that?  He does have friends, but he just doesn't seem to get it when they want him to not be in their personal space.  I know that is a skill kids have to learn, but it seems other kids his age have learned it and he has not.  I am not sure about emotionally, after all he is 3 and I am pretty sure at that age they are all (or close to) on short fuses emotionally.

Currently we're using (3yo)

Sonlight P3/4
Math U See Primer
Elemental Science: Exploring Science
Kumon workbooks
Little Pim French
Signing Time

For next year (4yo), I'm getting:

Sonlight P4/5
Math - Singapore Earlybird, which I think she'll fly through. After which we'll either go back to MUS, or use MEP for a while. I'm not sure, yet. We're also getting Inchimals. I like the look of Right Start, but it's spendy.
Phonics -  ETC online (automatically adjusts through books 1-6), BOB books, ReadingEggs.com
Science - Big bag of science, continue with ES
Geography - Geopuzzles, States & Capitals Songs
Critical Thinking - Building Thinking Skills, Can You Find Me?, Mind Benders (all from Critical Thinking Co)
Languages - Song School Latin, Signing Time
Also using: What your Kindergartner needs to know, Kumon workbooks, and lots of crafts!

For shelf activities, you can see what we do on my blog: Seeking Squirrels

For science, I plan on going to NOEO and R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey after she turns 5. If we finish ES well before that, I may get SL Science A. I might go for that soon anyway, we're not loving ES. I want to wait to start NOEO and RSO until she's a little older even though I think she'd love it now. I want to make sure we get the most out of them. SL might make a fun filler, but I'm not wanting to go with them full time for science.

We might do Winter Promise Animals and their Worlds next year (5yo) to hold off SL core A until she's 6. (SL level should be based off maturity level, not academic)

Lise, mommy to Jea Come join the fun to read and play games with your whole family.  Check out our blog!

LuckyLeslie
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Sadly I thought about this last night and looked it up and the one here was this past week!  And I am in the Memphis area.

Quoting lisemicheal:

Whree are you located?  Check out the homeschool conferences in your area?  Many of the curriculum providers attend these and have books setup for you to puruse and/or buy. 

I am in SC and there is one coming up here Jun 7-9th in Beaufort.  And there is another one in Charlott in August.  Let me know if you would like the links.

lisemicheal
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Did you check surrounding Cities ... within an hour - two hours from you?  We are about 4 hours from Charlotte NC and would not normally attend but are vending there this year with SimplyFun games, a direct sales company.   The one in Beaufort we are also vending at but we attended last year and it is an hour from us!

Also check out the websites for hte curriculum you are interested in, I know Abeka does smaller meetings with just their sales reps in just about every major city.   I am sure Sonlight might too.

Lise

Quoting LuckyLeslie:

Sadly I thought about this last night and looked it up and the one here was this past week!  And I am in the Memphis area.

Quoting lisemicheal:

Lise, mommy to Jea Come join the fun to read and play games with your whole family.  Check out our blog!

LuckyLeslie
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I completely understand what you are saying about the worksheets not being best.  That is part of why I originally posted this post.  I don't want to burn him out on learning.  That being said I would like to add a little more detail about our lives.  We are members of both Children's Museum and the Zoo here and attend both fairly often.  DS LOVES puzzles and he got tons of them for Christmas.  He can pretty easily do the 48 piece Melissa and Doug ones and I have a 100 piece one waiting to give him.  He has duplo type of blocks, but since he has a little sister who puts EVERYTHING in her mouth I have not done the legos yet, but I am thinking about getting him some to only put out while she is napping.  He does have a sensory tub, but I really need to make him a new one.  I have a friend who just showed me an idea she got from a blog (Play to learn or something like that) where it takes little balls that are used for plants and they absorb water and make a sensory tub out of those.  I am way excited to go buy some of those this weekend.  We do art projects some, but that doesn't seem to be either of our strong suits.  Also we are in several play groups so we often are meeting friends at the park and things like that.  I know you were not accusing me of anything, but I did want to point out all the more hands on things we do. :)  Oh and he doesn't watch any TV except for if he has time between clean up time and go to read before bed time.  That is at the most 20 minutes a day.  He is also in kindermusik and Spanish class which is all singing and fun stuff like that.  He was also in Soccertots, but we were not able to do it this session.  This summer he will also do swim lessons. 

Basically he is a child that requires a lot to keep him from getting bored.  He thrives on a full schedule.  I on the other hand tend to be worn out. :)

Quoting metoo

From what I know of ABeka I would RUN away for a preschooler. Worksheets and direct instruction are NOT the preschoolers learn best!  There is a ton of research out there about how we can speed up the learning processes in young kids but the connections they make when they learn things on their own through discovery are much better connection's.  There are always exceptions to the rules, but the vast majority of 2-4 yr olds are really not ready to read/write/do formal math.  Yes they can be taught, and yes some may even really enjoy the time mom spends with them teaching them these things. It doesn't always mean they are truly ready though.  That's why the studies done on  academic preschool vs play based show no long term gains in the kids that attend academic preschools.  

Your son sound very bright. There are plenty of ways to engage him in deeper thinking with out adding a ton of academics to your day. I highly doubt einstein was using workbooks at four haha. Give him puzzles, give him challenges like Tanagrams. Let him explore toys like cuisenaire rods. There are a lot of math discoveries he can make with those.  Give him lot of different building toys to work with. Lego's are a powerful learning tool that kids can explore all on their own. Take him outside often, let him observe nature and the rythms of the seasons. Visit the library, visit museums, do art projects, make sure he has some type of sandbox/sensory bin to dig in.  He will learn what his little brain is ready for and he will make the connections on his own which is so much better in the long run. 

Almost all children are going to learn reading, writing, math in the country. And in about 98% of cases, by third grade you can't tell who learn what when. Which kids started kindergarten reading and which didn't. It really doesn't matter. It's like potty training and walking. By five you generally can't tell which kids walked early/late and it really doesn't matter. As long as we are getting our preschoolers ready by reading to them, giving them long stretches to play, using art materiel's, playing outside, etc. Then they will be ready for school. It doesn't take some big curriculum. These compainies are just playing on mothers worries that their kids won't be ready for school, and trying to sell their product.  Preschool has become much to complicated these days! Just keep the TV off , talk , and read to kids and they will be fine! :) 

Check out this site she has a ton of good info and studies on there.  Best homeschooling  

Sorry i get all rambly. Just had to say. lol :)  i totally won't judge if you want to buy a curriculum either. I'm just not like that. I just had to say my peice heehee. :) 

LuckyLeslie
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I will have to check into this :)

Quoting lisemicheal:

Did you check surrounding Cities ... within an hour - two hours from you?  We are about 4 hours from Charlotte NC and would not normally attend but are vending there this year with SimplyFun games, a direct sales company.   The one in Beaufort we are also vending at but we attended last year and it is an hour from us!

Also check out the websites for hte curriculum you are interested in, I know Abeka does smaller meetings with just their sales reps in just about every major city.   I am sure Sonlight might too.

Lise

Quoting LuckyLeslie:

Quoting lisemicheal:

LuckyLeslie
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I waas trying to look into more of the things you mentioned last night and realized I have no idea what some of it is.  What does MEP and ETC stand for?  Also I haven't had a chance to look yet, but just in case, what is NOEO

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

Math - Singapore Earlybird, which I think she'll fly through. After which we'll either go back to MUS, or use MEP for a while. I'm not sure, yet. We're also getting Inchimals. I like the look of Right Start, but it's spendy.
Phonics -  ETC online (automatically adjusts through books 1-6), BOB books, ReadingEggs.com

For science, I plan on going to NOEO and R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey after she turns 5. If we finish ES well before that, I may get SL Science A. I might go for that soon anyway, we're not loving ES. I want to wait to start NOEO and RSO until she's a little older even though I think she'd love it now. I want to make sure we get the most out of them. SL might make a fun filler, but I'm not wanting to go with them full time for science.

Mommy2Phenley
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:05 PM

MEP - Mathematics Enhancement Program It's all online and free. Much of it would need to be printed out, but not all. It took me a little bit of time navigating the site to get a feel for it. You'd start with Reception year.

ETC - Explode the Code. This is a phonics program. You can use workbooks or the online site. The workbooks start with Get Ready, Get Set, and Go for the code. Then you move on to book 1. The site starts at book 1. Online and workbooks

NOEO - A literature based science curriculum that also includes experiments.

Quoting LuckyLeslie:

I waas trying to look into more of the things you mentioned last night and realized I have no idea what some of it is.  What does MEP and ETC stand for?  Also I haven't had a chance to look yet, but just in case, what is NOEO

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

metooo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I wasn't trying to imply you didn't play or you are doing it all wrong.. :) I'm just a bit passionate about preschool. lol   What i was trying to get it is play is school, for preschoolers. It's obviously working quite well for him. :) If he is ready to read now, he will learn. You can't hold him back.  I have worked with a few kids over the years who learned to read as preschoolers (without direct instruction) and it's a really neat thing to watch. They ask, questions, they sit thumbing through books, and one day they are really reading them and you're scratching your head going when the heck did that happen. :)  

This is off and rambly so feel free to ignore ;) but it's weird because I'm not anti teaching. I believe in being a facilitator and I do teach my kids many things. I believe it's my job to help get my kids thinking it's just the way I go about it I think it different. lol  A lot of my teaching with all three of my kids involves asking them questions that they can figure out. Like my oldest loves nature. When she was younger I would ask her things like "why do you think the bee is landing on the flower? or Why are those ants marching in a line?" Just to get her thinking. Now  at nine, she makes some awesome discovery's about nature and researches the answers to her questions all on her own (checking books out of the library, etc).  Sha has learned to learn.  Not sure if it makes any sense. Curriculum has it's place particularly in 1grade plus. But I honestly believe out education system would be much better off if our young kids were encouraged to think and explore in the preschool/kindergarten years and academics didn't get formally taught until 1st grade.  

now all that said my kids are currently in public school so I realize that is not real life in many case lol. But even though I know my children are going ot need to know letters/numbers/sounds/etc. It's still not something I push. If you look on my blog most of what we do is quite open ended (Well, that's what I strive for anyway.lol) M still knows, I think all her letters at this point (I don't quiz her so I don't know), she can write well enough to play tic tac toe and draw the game board, her verbal skills are great. She often "reads" her books to herself,  she can rhyme words, she builds letters out of different toys and objects quite often, she can count, count objects, sort, match.....the list goes on.  The reason I'm saying all this is because while I've facilitated things, and talked about things i don't really do any direct instruction and she still knows most of what she needs for k.  She knows her letters, so I could start teaching sounds. Logically that's the next step, but she has not given any indication she is truly ready to learn that yet.  While she is rhyming words, she hasn't begun to point out how "mom and mop" both sound a like. I know M is bright and capable and I'm sure I could teach her in short order sounds, but why? It's powerful for kids to pick it up on their own. As a preschool teacher that's when I step in and say something like "you're right mop and mom bot start with the M sound, mmmmmmm".  She discovered it. She made the connection. It's a sure sign of readiness and it's much more powerful. I have seen preschoolers learn to read this way. It takes no direct instruction, other than answering their questions. It takes no curriculum.  :) 

I'm totally getting so long here, but this big push to get kids learning young is really backfiring. It sounds like your son is really bright. I'm not trying to diminish that or say he isn't ready. He might be rip roaring to read and reading at a 2 grade level in 6 months. I don't know your child, you do. I'm just encouraging caution with direct teaching and loads of curriculum.  :)  

Also something to your OP, many times young kids learn to read by sight and the sounding comes later. Their brains are more wired for sight words, decoding takes using both side of the brain simultaneously. Personally I wouldn't discourage sight reading at his age. You can always go back and do phonics, when he starts school offically if you feel he needs it. I think a lot of very bright young readers (who aren't directly taught) are sight readers and never really need phonics. They just figure it out....... 

I completely understand what you are saying about the worksheets not being best.  That is part of why I originally posted this post.  I don't want to burn him out on learning.  That being said I would like to add a little more detail about our lives.  We are members of both Children's Museum and the Zoo here and attend both fairly often.  DS LOVES puzzles and he got tons of them for Christmas.  He can pretty easily do the 48 piece Melissa and Doug ones and I have a 100 piece one waiting to give him.  He has duplo type of blocks, but since he has a little sister who puts EVERYTHING in her mouth I have not done the legos yet, but I am thinking about getting him some to only put out while she is napping.  He does have a sensory tub, but I really need to make him a new one.  I have a friend who just showed me an idea she got from a blog (Play to learn or something like that) where it takes little balls that are used for plants and they absorb water and make a sensory tub out of those.  I am way excited to go buy some of those this weekend.  We do art projects some, but that doesn't seem to be either of our strong suits.  Also we are in several play groups so we often are meeting friends at the park and things like that.  I know you were not accusing me of anything, but I did want to point out all the more hands on things we do. :)  Oh and he doesn't watch any TV except for if he has time between clean up time and go to read before bed time.  That is at the most 20 minutes a day.  He is also in kindermusik and Spanish class which is all singing and fun stuff like that.  He was also in Soccertots, but we were not able to do it this session.  This summer he will also do swim lessons. 

Basically he is a child that requires a lot to keep him from getting bored.  He thrives on a full schedule.  I on the other hand tend to be worn out. :)

LuckyLeslie
by Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Oh I didn't feel like you were saying I was doing it wrong.  Just wanted to give you some background info.  :)  Also we do both phonics and sight words currently.  I don't have a problem with him "sight reading" if he is actually reading it and not just looking at the first letter and guessing.  For example, he has seen the word "Rex" and read it as "remember."  Not a big deal really, just something I want him to learn to not do.  And I know he will, at some point.  Usually when he does this that is a signal that he is done reading for then b/c he isn't into it.

Quoting metooo:

I wasn't trying to imply you didn't play or you are doing it all wrong.. :) I'm just a bit passionate about preschool. lol   What i was trying to get it is play is school, for preschoolers. It's obviously working quite well for him. :) If he is ready to read now, he will learn. You can't hold him back.  I have worked with a few kids over the years who learned to read as preschoolers (without direct instruction) and it's a really neat thing to watch. They ask, questions, they sit thumbing through books, and one day they are really reading them and you're scratching your head going when the heck did that happen. :)  

This is off and rambly so feel free to ignore ;) but it's weird because I'm not anti teaching. I believe in being a facilitator and I do teach my kids many things. I believe it's my job to help get my kids thinking it's just the way I go about it I think it different. lol  A lot of my teaching with all three of my kids involves asking them questions that they can figure out. Like my oldest loves nature. When she was younger I would ask her things like "why do you think the bee is landing on the flower? or Why are those ants marching in a line?" Just to get her thinking. Now  at nine, she makes some awesome discovery's about nature and researches the answers to her questions all on her own (checking books out of the library, etc).  Sha has learned to learn.  Not sure if it makes any sense. Curriculum has it's place particularly in 1grade plus. But I honestly believe out education system would be much better off if our young kids were encouraged to think and explore in the preschool/kindergarten years and academics didn't get formally taught until 1st grade.  

now all that said my kids are currently in public school so I realize that is not real life in many case lol. But even though I know my children are going ot need to know letters/numbers/sounds/etc. It's still not something I push. If you look on my blog most of what we do is quite open ended (Well, that's what I strive for anyway.lol) M still knows, I think all her letters at this point (I don't quiz her so I don't know), she can write well enough to play tic tac toe and draw the game board, her verbal skills are great. She often "reads" her books to herself,  she can rhyme words, she builds letters out of different toys and objects quite often, she can count, count objects, sort, match.....the list goes on.  The reason I'm saying all this is because while I've facilitated things, and talked about things i don't really do any direct instruction and she still knows most of what she needs for k.  She knows her letters, so I could start teaching sounds. Logically that's the next step, but she has not given any indication she is truly ready to learn that yet.  While she is rhyming words, she hasn't begun to point out how "mom and mop" both sound a like. I know M is bright and capable and I'm sure I could teach her in short order sounds, but why? It's powerful for kids to pick it up on their own. As a preschool teacher that's when I step in and say something like "you're right mop and mom bot start with the M sound, mmmmmmm".  She discovered it. She made the connection. It's a sure sign of readiness and it's much more powerful. I have seen preschoolers learn to read this way. It takes no direct instruction, other than answering their questions. It takes no curriculum.  :) 

I'm totally getting so long here, but this big push to get kids learning young is really backfiring. It sounds like your son is really bright. I'm not trying to diminish that or say he isn't ready. He might be rip roaring to read and reading at a 2 grade level in 6 months. I don't know your child, you do. I'm just encouraging caution with direct teaching and loads of curriculum.  :)  

Also something to your OP, many times young kids learn to read by sight and the sounding comes later. Their brains are more wired for sight words, decoding takes using both side of the brain simultaneously. Personally I wouldn't discourage sight reading at his age. You can always go back and do phonics, when he starts school offically if you feel he needs it. I think a lot of very bright young readers (who aren't directly taught) are sight readers and never really need phonics. They just figure it out....... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN