Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unit Study Method Resources?

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 504 Total Views

My daughter will turn four on December 1, and I plan to begin the more structured lesson plan stage of her education this fall.  I have spent the last nine months or so working more on her basics (letters, counting, etc) and sort of experimenting with what learning methods work best for her.  I have come to the conclusion that she will do best with unit studies, so I have been looking up ideas/lesson plans/etc centered around this method.  She is very interested in animals and gardening, so I am thinking an agriculture unit would be a good one to start with.  Any suggestions?

In a nutshell, I am....a hippy-dippy; music craving; picture painting; story writing; kitchen loving; nature loving; vegetarian meal diggin'; OCD having; semi co-sleeping; non-spanking; big family wanting; homeschooling; homemaking; wife of a soldier; SAHM to the beautiful Lucy Rose!

by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
metooo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

We do themes, which is kinda like a preschool version of unit studies. I tend to enjoy book themes, and do it similar to 5 in a row. We read our main book every day. This is great because M loves repition and can "read" the book herself by the end of the week. Some times I have go along books, but at her age (same age as your DD :) )  I try not to overwhelm her with to many.  We do things like act out the story (great language activity, we might make up our own version of the story. If it's a fairy tale we might read several versions and compare them. We do art project/sensory bins based on our books. Depending on the book, we will do a science experiment, cooking activitiy, songs, maybe take a trip somewhere, etc. It's a lot of fun.

Some of our Themes.  I try to keep preschool pretty discovery based unless the kids are asking for more, but you could easily add letters/sounds/math activites in with a book theme. Here's a few books that would work for gardening or animals. :) 

The Very Busy Spider

The Carrot Seed

Pumpkin Pumpkin

3 Billy Goats Gruff

3 Little Pigs

Old McDonald

Click, Clack, Moo

The Little Red Hen

Over In the Meadow

Watch me Grow series (non Fiction) Is a great series to use for Add ons. There is a book for many different animals. it shows the life cycle, has great pictures, and is written for preschool/kindergarten age kids. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)