Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone used the 4 year old curriculum from HubbardsCupboard.org?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 697 Total Views

At the suggestion of a friend, I was looking at the site last night.  I am thinking of using the 4 year old curriculum with my daughter beginning next month.  I will surely supplement other activities, games, crafts, etc. but with a new baby arriving in September, I need something that is easy to follow and planned for me (for the most part).  I was just curious if anyone else had used it or would be using it.  Thanks!

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
metooo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you think your daughter would enjoy it? Do you think she is ready for it? Does it jive with your belief's on preschool education?  Does it look easy enough for you to follow with a new baby?  :)

Personally, I would not doing anything.  Having a new baby is a big adjustment for everyone. And there is so much learning that goes along with a new sibling. :)  Read lots of good books. Set aside at least 3-4 a day, to read so you make sure you get to them. Get audio books from the library, for the times when the baby is fussy and you can't quite get to story time. Go places when you can, play outside, try to fit in a game (simple here like chutes and ladders) or a simple art project while the baby is napping. She will be fine. For a millennium preschoolers have been "just" staying home with mom, adjusting to siblings, helping around the house, etc. etc. Look how far we've managed to come. Focus on your new babies precious babyhood. There will always be time for reading lessons, but your baby will only be an infant for a short time. :) 

charla_r
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Thank you for your response.  :)

Quoting metooo:

Do you think your daughter would enjoy it? Do you think she is ready for it? Does it jive with your belief's on preschool education?  Does it look easy enough for you to follow with a new baby?  :)

Personally, I would not doing anything.  Having a new baby is a big adjustment for everyone. And there is so much learning that goes along with a new sibling. :)  Read lots of good books. Set aside at least 3-4 a day, to read so you make sure you get to them. Get audio books from the library, for the times when the baby is fussy and you can't quite get to story time. Go places when you can, play outside, try to fit in a game (simple here like chutes and ladders) or a simple art project while the baby is napping. She will be fine. For a millennium preschoolers have been "just" staying home with mom, adjusting to siblings, helping around the house, etc. etc. Look how far we've managed to come. Focus on your new babies precious babyhood. There will always be time for reading lessons, but your baby will only be an infant for a short time. :) 

mommyofnoah208
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I have never heard of that, but I just looked at it and it looks pretty neat.

Right now I am using the Five in a Row curriculum with my 4 year old.  Good luck and hope it goes smoothly for you

charla_r
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Thank you.  Siince we did not use the 3 year old curriculum, I think I am going to combine some of the activities or even substitute some of the 3 year old phonemic awareness/literacy activities for some of the 4 year activities at least in the beginning to build a solid foundation for early reading.  I have heard several people mention the Five in a Row program but I don't know much about it.  Good luck to you as well!

Quoting mommyofnoah208:

I have never heard of that, but I just looked at it and it looks pretty neat.

Right now I am using the Five in a Row curriculum with my 4 year old.  Good luck and hope it goes smoothly for you

metooo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Five in a row is a literature based program. I used it when I homeschooled my oldest for first grade. We had fun with it.  :)  We are doing literature based themes with M now, but I pull my own stuff together. She would not get much out of five in a row right now, IMO.  If she is still home next year (age 4 turning 5) I might use it. :)

Thinking Games for preschoolers is a neat book. Has tons of ideas and everything uses everyday items (or no items lol). Super easy to pull stuff from. Also this curriculum someone else posted on this board might interested you. :) 

twyliatepeka
by Admin on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:17 PM

nope. never head of it.

charla_r
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Thanks ladies. 

metooo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:22 AM

opps sorry, looks like that link I posted is no longer free.  :( 

Maridel
by Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I love hubbards cupboard. I used the 3 year old curriculum the year my daughter turned four. We just sped up the process of learning letters and sounds cause she already knew most of them and supplemented the second half of the year with Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. I also use the character traits from the 4 year old curriuclum every year.

charla_r
by Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Glad to hear it.  I debated on which to use with my DD since she turned 4 in June and we didn't use a curriculum at all prior to this point.  I think I am going to try the 4 year old curriculum with her but I may have to use some of the literacy activities from the 3 year old curriculum at first.  Thanks for sharing your experience!

Quoting Maridel:

I love hubbards cupboard. I used the 3 year old curriculum the year my daughter turned four. We just sped up the process of learning letters and sounds cause she already knew most of them and supplemented the second half of the year with Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. I also use the character traits from the 4 year old curriuclum every year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)