Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling a child under two?

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:52 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 627 Total Views

Anyone in this group homeschool a child under the age of  two? My daughter will be 22 months tommorrow. I can't afford to put her in preschool or a MDO. Can anyone give me ideas on what to do with a child that age?

by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
metooo
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:08 AM

I started setting up M's shelf for her around 19-20 months. It was when my older kids started back to school because she would wander around lost and just want to watch TV all day. I truely do not believe you need to do anything more with a 1/2 yr old than live life though. I was not trying to "teach" her more trying to fill some time with something more constructive than Dora. lol As always she choose what to do and how long to do it. The only requirment was she clean up what she was using before moving on. That said.....

We did only three items a day to start. We did not do the shelf every day either. Mainly when we were home all day. We did one art project (completely process based art) or one Sensory activity everyday, then we did a lot of transfer activities. She was really into these! We used all different items (beads, gems, acorns, etc) lots of different bowls/spoons/tongs to keep it interesting. She also loved pouring activities. We started out only pouring a small amount of dry ingredients then we moved to Wet. We also did things like simple puzzles, stringing large beads, peg boards, play dough,  bins with different toys in them (blocks, magna tiles, little people, etc. ).  ummmmmm her play dishes and a small sponge for her to "wash".  I should put up a page with the stuff we did then. I know I had blog posts on my private blog......

She also "helped" me around the house. A ton of learning can happen from a toddler helping you clean! motor skills, listening skills, sorting, classifing, langugage, social skills, life skills, etc etc. We played outside everyday! Did a storytime at the library, read of course daily. :) Cooked together.....can't remember what else...lol I

extremelibrary
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Yes, it's pretty much play based here too. She loves going to story time at the library!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)