Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When does comprehension happen?

Just wondering when reading comprehension happens.  While reading stories to DD (4 yo), I'll stop during the story to ask questions - and she has no idea the answer to the question.

For example:  reading a story about a skunk who went looking for something to eat.  He first went to the berry patch, but the berries were too green and bitter, so he wandered over to the picnic area to see if there was anything left in a trashcan.  When I ask her where he went first, her first guess is I don't know, when I re-read the passage and ask her again, she guesses the picnic area.  I've re-read the passage up to 4 times before giving up and going on. 

Should she be able to grasp this yet, or do I need to table it for now and just drone on?

Note:  Her favorite books are Mo Willems books and this is one of our first attempts at reading simple chapter books.  Each night we re-cap what we've read up until our current selection, but I'm only asking questions about what we read that night. 

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Replies (11-17):
metooo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

ahhh, she might not be ready for Chapter books. There is a TON of value in picture books particularly when compared to the "early" chapter books. Part of the value is the pictures help the kids grasp the story. Also early chapter books are made for kids to read on their own at fairly low reading levels. The plots are generally not to complex and the vocabulary isn't there either.  Pictures books are desgined to be read by and adults so the vobularly is much richer.  There are ton of really high quality picture books. Look for top 100 lists for k-2nd grade. You will find some really good titles! Try the five in a Row book list too. A few I like are:

Velveteen Rabbit

Babbar

Bertrix Potter

Cloudy with a Chance of Meat Balls 

Aesop"s Fables

Dr. Seuss Books but not the first readers.

A Bad Case of Stripes

Winnie The Poo (still has pictures and each "chapter" reads like it's own story so they don't have to follow the same plot for days.).

uhhh can't think of any more off the top of my head but 5 in a row has a great book list! Go check some of those out. 

lisemicheal
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I like Usborne First Reading Series and most of their later picture books are wonderful.  Especially check out the ones from Kane-Miller.  My DD (5) who is just beginning to sound out and read on her own, loves the history books and the Jack Russell Terrier Series (we read these and it is an early chapter book that still has some line drawings for her to be able to follow the story).

Check it out at http://www.startkidsreading.com/

Lise, mommy to Jea Come join the fun to read and play games with your whole family.  Check out our blog!

metooo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Oh and if it helps at all. M turned 4 in Dec, and is no where near ready for chapter books. My oldest was about 5.5-6ish before she really wanted to hear chapter books, and My son was about 3-4. I know sites like The Well Trained Mind. Reccomend only "High quality" books, and starting chapter books really early, butpersonally I love Jim Terlese (sp) ideas from the read aloud hand book.  If you haven't read it yet I highly reccomend it. :) 

lisemicheal
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Quoting metooo:

Oh and if it helps at all. M turned 4 in Dec, and is no where near ready for chapter books. My oldest was about 5.5-6ish before she really wanted to hear chapter books, and My son was about 3-4. I know sites like The Well Trained Mind. Reccomend only "High quality" books, and starting chapter books really early, butpersonally I love Jim Terlese (sp) ideas from the read aloud hand book.  If you haven't read it yet I highly reccomend it. :) 

Hubby and I reccomend it highly!  We only started the Jack Russell Series because DD wanted to.  We have a number of friends who have jack russells so it interested her.  We alternate with picture books during story time (which can be anytime of the day not just bedtime reading)!

Lise, mommy to Jea Come join the fun to read and play games with your whole family.  Check out our blog!

Sarahsmommy1008
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for all the feedback, I think I'm going to back off and enjoy the picture books for a while longer.  I'm going to check the read aloud handbook from the library :-) 

metooo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Quoting lisemicheal:

Hubby and I reccomend it highly!  We only started the Jack Russell Series because DD wanted to.  We have a number of friends who have jack russells so it interested her.  We alternate with picture books during story time (which can be anytime of the day not just bedtime reading)!

Just some I'm clear (the Internet is funny like that) I see nothing wrong with following a childs lead, whatever it might be. . Whatever they want to hear is fine by me. My son was obsessed with these crappy superman chapter books for the longest time when he was a preschooler. I hated those things! lol But whatever he enjoyed them and that's all that matters.  Right now he is obsessed with Captain Underpants. Not great literature by any stretch of the imagination, but he's reading and that's all that matters to me. lol 

lisemicheal
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh I completely understood where you were coming from.  As for "not great literature"?  who cares, one of my nephews learned to read because he loved comic books.  His mom hated that but he today at 29 he has a Master's degree and is gainfully employed and still loves to read!

Quoting metooo:

Quoting lisemicheal:

Just some I'm clear (the Internet is funny like that) I see nothing wrong with following a childs lead, whatever it might be. . Whatever they want to hear is fine by me. My son was obsessed with these crappy superman chapter books for the longest time when he was a preschooler. I hated those things! lol But whatever he enjoyed them and that's all that matters.  Right now he is obsessed with Captain Underpants. Not great literature by any stretch of the imagination, but he's reading and that's all that matters to me. lol 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN