Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

numbers

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 555 Total Views

Well I know many preschoolers know numbers but do they understand numbers? I have a preschooler (3 1/2) and also teach at his co-op once a week with 2 other kids. We did a numbers lesson last week where you have numbered pieces of cardstock (1-10), and clothespins with #, dots and on the opposite side the number spelling and dots and you are supposed to match the clothespin with the cardstock and clip it. I read a couple of counting books and then we did our lesson. This didn't turn out well with any of the kiddos. I am not sure if this is too advanced or if I should work on it more? I spent one-on-one time and tried to explain to count the dots, match the numbers but it just seemed to be too much. My son is the one who tells me "you're not my teacher, you're my mom" so basically he doesn't want to participate in anything.

Also, what do you think should be first - numbers or letters ? It is a "hands-on" class so I try to do things that are educational and fun but that is just a small portion of the class, we also do coloring, playing with toys, etc;  (for next week I have an "i" letter activity- for igloo - a couple books and then pasting white squares of paper onto a blue paper with an igloo).

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Sarahsmommy1008
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Unless they are advanced, I think the clothespin activity may be a little too much for a 3 1/2 yo. 

Depending on what they know, they might be able to match numbers to dots, or put a clothespin on every dot, but probably not match the correct number of clothespins to a number and definitely not the word. 

It sounds like the pasting activity you have planned is probably going to be a good fit.  Have fun!!!

metooo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:32 AM
2 moms liked this

It's important for them to understand numbers. Much more important than recognizing the number IMO. They understand numbers by playwith them though.  Things like erasers and Ice cube trays encourage 1-1 corospondence.  Lots of counting of objects. If your serving snack ask Do you want 3 or 4 crackers then count out what they say. Just incorperating into daily life, is the best way to go about it. If you want to do activities like the above, I would make them free choice activities and makes sure they can be used on multiple levels. For example the closepins with the dots is the hardest way to do an activity like that. It would progress like this. 

Number cards with Dots and an object to put on each dot. This is very very concrete for young children. 

Then you would Do number Card with no dots and objects to put on each card.

last would be the clothes pins. They are less concrete then objects plus they have the added fine motor challenge. 

If you make a "center" with all of these you could set it out during play time and the kids could progress through at their pace.  Centers are a great idea because they allow kids to work at their pace. I would avoid direct teaching as much as possible. Play games and follow their lead. HI-Ho cherry is a fun came and encourages counting/number sense. You can play guessing games (how many marbles are in my jar?? (or even better candy lol) and then count them. Got on shape hunts in your room. How many circles can we find? There are tons of fun games and if you're excited to play and keep it light and fun, then will most likely be thrilled. :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN