Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here!

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:19 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 414 Total Views
Hi, my name is Ashley. :)
I have a 15 month old little boy named Benji. Dh and I have really been considering homeschooling due school shootings, the possibility of teachers having guns and our own problems we had while in school.
How old were your children when you started homeschooling?
Where did (do) you get your curriculum?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
BramblePatch
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:34 PM
My kids were 3 and 4 when we started last year. My Pre-K uses Memoria Press Jr. Kindergarten and My K uses Christian Liberty Press 1st Grade and Memoria Press Literature. I am not a "later is better" homeschooler. I believe in starting education early so we delved right in with strong curricula from the get-go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wifeyy2Lette
by New Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:36 PM
I'm thinking about getting the alphabet to hang on his walls, numbers, days of the week, a small chalkboard, months of the year, etc.
I know he's only 15 months but I'm like you, I think the earlier the better. He already LOVES books, he brings me several 10-20 times a day!

Quoting BramblePatch:

My kids were 3 and 4 when we started last year. My Pre-K uses Memoria Press Jr. Kindergarten and My K uses Christian Liberty Press 1st Grade and Memoria Press Literature. I am not a "later is better" homeschooler. I believe in starting education early so we delved right in with strong curricula from the get-go.
BramblePatch
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Both my kids learned so much from Leap Frog DVDs.... both my kids knew their letters and sounds by 3. At 5.5 my son is reading at a 2nd Grade level. Another great series is Baby Faith. You have to find them on Ebay these days, but they are Christian Baby Einsteins. They teach colors, shapes, and such to little ones. My kids loved them. I was always anti-tv and still am, but I think these educational shows have amazing value.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wifeyy2Lette
by New Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:56 PM
I'll look for those!! :) thanks!

Quoting BramblePatch:

Both my kids learned so much from Leap Frog DVDs.... both my kids knew their letters and sounds by 3. At 5.5 my son is reading at a 2nd Grade level. Another great series is Baby Faith. You have to find them on Ebay these days, but they are Christian Baby Einsteins. They teach colors, shapes, and such to little ones. My kids loved them. I was always anti-tv and still am, but I think these educational shows have amazing value.
metooo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:37 AM

My  older two kids attend public school and my youngest will too when the time comes. Just to preface lol. I do a lot with my kids but I'm very big on self paced particularly in the preschool years. Children love to learn. They will naturally gravitate to what they are ready for. Also in the toddler/preschool years learning looks so much different than it looks in the elementary years, just like elementary learning is different from highschool learning.   At 15 months, the best way to "teach" is to expose him to many different things. You want to work on vocabulary, social skills (basically socializing him to our society I don't mean just limiting with peers), and motor skills. He needs a lot of time to explore his world in his way. Watch the ball roll, touch his sticky jelly, visit the grocery store, build a block tower, take a toddler paced walk outside. That's all learning.  

Don't get to hung up on rote memorization  (ABC's, shapes, numbers etc).  Basically at his age it's a monkey trick for the most part. Most children are really not going to use that knowledge to read/do math until  the ages of 4-7.  Vocabulary however is huge! The bigger the vocabulary at the start of K the better kids do. Google the studies.  It's one of the biggest predictors of school success. Not what age they recognized letters/numbers.  

When he is free to explore he makes the connections on the his own and they are much stronger connections.  He starts to understand cause and effect(when i hit my tower it falls down), critical thinking (gee the heavy  block needs to go on the bottom). Reading good books, going many places, having conversations with him all provide background knowledge to him which is another huge predictor of reading success.  Anyway I highly recommend reading  child development books and early years homeschooling books. I also love The Read Aloud Handbook.  

Some great learning ides for young toddlers

-painting with large brushes start with one color let him smoosh and explore the paint on his own. add another color to allow him to explore mixing once he is a proficient painter. 

-sensory play (the bath tub counts! lol)

-reading of course! 

-sing songs/finger plays (builds motor skills and language skills)

-simple puzzles

-peg boards

-let him help! self help skills are huge for toddlers. Let him mix the ingredients when cooking, put his own shoes away, teach him to flip trick to put his own coat on. Potty training, hanging up his own jacket, what ever he can handle doing on his own. I love montessori approach for littles. 

Good Luck! 

metooo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:47 AM

The calendar is a very abstract concept. It is not developmentally appropriate for a 15 month old unless they are a HIGHLY gifted child.   If you want to expose him to numbers the best idea is to count things.  I always focused more on the playing with numbers than recognizing numbers. Understanding 3 (as in I have 3 apples) is much more important to me than rote counting to 3 or recognizing the number three. You could also buy or check out a some counting books from the library. they have the added bonus of being able to add to his vocabulary (The ones I'm thinking of have the number then pictures of like 3 cars, so he is also learning the word car.) 

Quoting Wifeyy2Lette:

I'm thinking about getting the alphabet to hang on his walls, numbers, days of the week, a small chalkboard, months of the year, etc.
I know he's only 15 months but I'm like you, I think the earlier the better. He already LOVES books, he brings me several 10-20 times a day!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)