Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

newbie with florida questions

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:15 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 296 Total Views

Hey gys! My dh and I are considering moving to Fl.  We are currently looking at Sarasota, Naples and Tampa.  We're in PA now and don't know much about the state.  What the schools are like, work availability and neighborhood info would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you know of any other cities that are safe, quiet and have good schools, that'd be great too.

Thanks much!

Alli
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Dino-Playground
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:05 PM

I live in Naples - I grew up here and am now raising my kids here. I love it. I think it is a wonderful community for families and Naples is so beautiful. It is a little more expensive to live here, but prices are going down quite a bit so you could find a nice house for cheap. There is very little crime and more and more young families are making Naples their home.

In Florida we have school choice so you can choose where you want to send your children. The schools vary, but I am happy with my daughter's school in Naples. I went to college in Tampa and the crime there is through the roof! It is nice there, but I didn't like hearing about someone getting shot or raped everyday. 

Dinosaur Playground

An indoor playground with fun for all ages and abilities.

Promoting activity, education, and creativity.

4910 Tamiami Trail N

Same plaza as Outback, Naples

www.dinoplayground.com

(239) 430-PLAY

Sucy
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Sarasota, naples or cape coral are great places. Don't even consider Miami or tampa, the crime is horrible.

Good luck

Alli5169
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Cape Coral has tons of houses for sale. Does anyone live there?? 

Quoting Sucy:

Sarasota, naples or cape coral are great places. Don't even consider Miami or tampa, the crime is horrible.

Good luck

Alli
supermom2kp2
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 9:29 AM

I work in Cape Coral (live in ft myers.)   Most of my coworkers live in the cape & they love it.  I'm new to the area & wanted to rent first to get to know my surroundings, but i'm considering buying here when my lease is up.  There are tons of houses for sale in the cape, and you can get a nice, and most likely NEW house for great prices! 

btw, school choice is a west coast of FL thing.  Its not statewide, and it's not even up in Sarasota area.  Lee & Collier counties only I believe, but not positive.  I've lived in FL all my life, but had never heard of it til this school yr when we moved here.   It's definitely different.  I was very hesitant about it coming from another county,(it just sounds very intimidating) but i've had a good experience so far.  Just do lots of research on it if your kids are school age!    =)  
Quoting Alli5169:

Cape Coral has tons of houses for sale. Does anyone live there?? 

Quoting Sucy:

Good luck

Alli5169
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Thanks guys.  Does anyone know anything about the neighborhoods in Cape Coral?  Anything I should avoid?

Alli
kylielayne
by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 12:25 AM
I was looking at the houses online in Cape Coral...as we want to move to Florida in the next few years. They are nice and cheap. What's the deal? My dh says that the town must be "going down"....is there a catch or just good deals?
craftykidsclub
by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 6:46 PM

I live in Cape Coral, its a really nice town.  I love i here.  The house are so cheap because we do have a high forclouser rate.  Sad to say.  But if you are looking for a house at a good price, this is the time to find it.

mamastevens
by on Mar. 29, 2009 at 1:19 AM

I've lived here two years and Cape is definitely not dying... Before the 'recession' it was one of the most booming areas for new people weekly! Its slowing down a bit but still seems to be getting new families...

It's a nice 'big' small town... Things that you need, and things that you like to have close by.... Lots of school choices and close to bigger cities to shop and get away...

My husband and I moved from Minnesota and its quite a bit different down here from where we grew up, but we have adjusted and like it quite well...

Don't have children school age but I have a couple friends who are teachers... Florida's school system is not the best in the U.S., the state is quite low on the list... But if you research the area schools there are some that are great!

Job market isn't the greatest... Especially now, so I'd be hesitant to move unless jobs are already lined up... But that's pretty much moving anywhere these days... Our county has a 12 percent unemployment rate though and the state's average is around 11 percent?! Kind of scary if you plan on moving and then looking for a job...

mommyofchase
by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 9:11 AM

I live in cape coral, and I'm a recent transplant.  I think its a great town.  The main info I will pass on is the areas I would stay away from....If you are strictly looking in the cape I would try to avoid the NE.  I think the crime in that area seems to be a little higher.  If you are looking at fort myers I wouldavoid north fort myers and anything close to n. tamaiam trail and n. cleveland.  Again mainly due to the crime rate in this area and specifically on these streets.  As far as the other "sections" of the cape, everything is broken down into NE, NW, SW and SE, I live in the nw and t is still kind of undeveloped.  You get a few houses on a street and then just open land.  I actually like it, I'm big into the peace and quiet.  The actually shopping and stuff in the nw does seem to be expanding still...I know we have a chick-fil-a coming along with a bed bath and beyond.  I have also seen numerous other business open recently.  I cant say too much about the other areas. My dh and I did rent in the sw for a year before buying in the nw.  We rented in a gated community called sandoval and it was really nice.  The only reason we didnt buy in their was the high hoa fees and the STRICT rules.  I'm a bit of a free bird and I dont like being told how long my holiday decorations can stay up, where my guest can park, or what type of trees I'm aloud to plant.  As far as the SE I know nothing.  One last thing I will advise is to make sure that if you are looking at short sales or foreclosed properties to make sure that you look at the in person and check on all the essentials.  When my hubby and I looked we found MANY homes that the owners had pilferidged, taking whole a/c units, water softeners, light fixtures, and leaving behind trash and complet dissaray.   Good luck on your move and if there's anything else I can help with feel free to send me a message!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)