Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips for using Twitter hashtags to get more blog traffic

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 1:56 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 581 Total Views

A few of us have been talking about Twitter hashtags and instead of posting a really long reply, I thought I would just start a new conversation.   (Hashtags are the words and phrases you see following the # symbol on Twitter.  People add these to their tweets when they want to be found by people searching for those phrases).  Here are some tips on how to use hashtags to help get blog traffic.

1.   To participate in a conversation about an event that is happening right then.  For instance,  if you followed the #balloonboy hashtag over the last week, you'd find people talking about that incident.  Sometimes when I'm watching a Rockies baseball game (I'm in Boulder, CO), I will follow #Rockies and end up connecting with other Rockies fans who are also watching the game.  I went to the Blogher conference in July and followed #blogher for the entire conference - I totally connected with people who were also at the conference that I hadn't met in person yet!

2.  If I am looking to share my blog posts with people who are interested, I might add #blogging to my tweet.  Or if my blog post is about teens (I have three teen boys), I'll add #teenagers or #teens to my tweet. I often blog about search engine tips and will add #SEO to the tweet when I tweet a link to my post.  That means the tweet shows up for people actually looking for tweets about SEO (search engine optimization).

3.  To follow new people.  Maybe I'm not posting a link to my blog but I just want to find new people to follow who might follow me back and see future links.  I might search #blogging or #parenting or #marketing or whatever topics I usually blog about.  When I see interesting tweets from people, I follow them.  I try to tweet info, articles, or activities that might be interesting to that group.  I also make sure I re-tweet their tweets (if they're interesting) and then those people usually start to retweet my links, too!

4.  Another tool for finding new followers is www.wefollow.com.  Its basically a huge Twitter directory and people can add themselves and assign themselves to three "categories".  You could add yourself under "blogging"  "mom"  and "technology".  Or pick from hundreds of relevant categories.  This way, you will show up for others searching for new people to follow!

5.  Bing is a new search engine recently launched by Microsoft.  They have just cut deals with both Twitter and Facebook that will integrate tweets and updates into search results.  This means if someone is on Bing and searches "parenting advice", your tweets or Facebook updates that include those phrases will show up in search results.  This could be another great way Twitter can help you get more exposure for your blog.  But this is really new so we'll have to see how it works out.

6.  Adding #blogfrog to your tweets.  BlogFrog is a huge network of bloggers and I add #blogfrog to some tweets because I know folks searching that hashtag are also bloggers and there is a culture with that community to retweet and help each other out.  But I don't add it to every tweet, just the ones I think are useful to bloggers.  I definitely get re-tweets when I add this.

I am one of the co-founders of BlogFrog but please know I include that last tip because it really does help generate traffic.  I work with thousands of bloggers and we are constantly discussing how bloggers can best use social technologies like Twitter, Facebook and many others to help their blogs. 

I hope these tips are helpful!  Do you have any to add??

Holly Hamann

TheBlogFrog

www.breadcrumz.blogspot.com

by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
busybee68
by Group Admin on Oct. 23, 2009 at 3:32 PM

I use hastags for my Giveaways.  Never thought to use them in any other way.  Great article Holly, I'm going to give it a shot....Thank You!

RedSeal
by Group Admin on Oct. 24, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Thank you so much for posting this Holly.  It will definitely help.  How much time do you spend on Twitter each day/week?  It seems like it would take up most of the day and I am limited on time right now.  I think that is why I am hesitant to commit to Twitter.

Kim

HollyHamann
by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 4:48 PM

You are both welcome for the tips - glad they are useful!  That's a great idea to use them for give-aways.

RedSeal - I probably send maybe 10-12 tweets a day (sometimes less, sometimes more).  I use an application called Tweetdeck, which is kind of like a dashboard for Twitter.  I can set up columns that track specific "groups" I set up.  For instance, I have one column for local friends (co-workers, friends, those in my professional network around Boulder), one column for BlogFrog users (so I can keep up with their blogs), one for mom bloggers, and even impromptu ones I set up for a particular topic (like "Wordpress").  I keep that Tweetdeck window up in the background of my screen and just go there every half hour or hour to check it.  So I'm not really on there a lot but it might look like I am to others.  Having the columns and tweets organized helps me scan and reply quickly. As I read articles online, I can quickly tweet them.

Holly Hamann

TheBlogFrog

RedSeal
by Group Admin on Oct. 25, 2009 at 9:44 AM

I can't believe how out of the loop I am when it comes to Twitter :)  I'm usually pretty savvy when it comes to this stuff.  Thanks again!

Kim

MotherTrekker
by on Oct. 25, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Awesome post! Thanks for the detailed info. I will definately be trying these techniques!

I have been confused by the different twitter applications that are available out there.

Which ones do you primarily use. I have been reviewing apps for my iphone (smartphones) and I'd love your feedback.

Thanks,

Jen@MotherTrekker.com

www.MotherTrekker.com
Trekking Thru Motherhood Together!

HollyHamann
by on Oct. 26, 2009 at 10:44 AM

There are a few Twitter apps that I use that I find really helpful. 

1.  Tweetdeck has been a HUGE help in making my tweeting more efficient.  Having a "dashboard" makes everything go ten times faster.  Its super easy to reply, follow, re-tweet, block, add a user to groups and track people I really care about.  I have over 4000 followers (which is not nearly as many as some) and its easy to miss tweets from people I'm active with.  Seesmic Desktop is another app just like Tweetdeck and some people like it better.  I got started with Tweetdeck and it was easier just to stick with it. Free.

2.  Tweetlater - I use this to set up auto-follow and vet new followers (I auto-follow everyone who follows me but I weed out the people who look like spammers).  I can also write tweets and schedule them to publish at a certain date. They also have an "alert" function that lets you create searches on certain keywords (like your own name or product) and it will send you a daily email with a of list of how often those keywords show up in tweets.  I don't use this at all because Google Alerts does this for me.   I think Tweetlater recently changed their name to SocialOomph. Free.

3.  Tweetie - this is the Twitter app I use for my iPhone.  I love it!  Makes it super easy to tweet, RT, follow, while mobile. Back when Twitter first came out, I would have tweets come to my cell phone as texts - that was a huge mistake - drove my family crazy. This does cost money - I think its $2-4 or somewhere in that range (one time charge).

4. Twitpics - I use this for sharing photos and images.  Some people use yfrog.com for this (no relation to BlogFrog).  I love Twitpic because I can just click on a photo I take with my iphone, send it to a special Twitpic email address that is unique for my account, and it automaticall posts that pic to Twitter for me (Tweetie can do this too). Free.

5.  Tweepular - I use this app get a quick snapshot of who is not following me back, and see if there are people following me that I should follow back but forgot to.  The biggest advantage of Tweepular is you can bulk follow and unfollow.  Meaning, they will show you the 56 people or so that you are not following back and you can click one button and follow them all. You can also bulk unfollow.  This is a great tool - but be wary about overusing.  New user guidelines for Twitter indicate they do not really like it when users bulk follow and unfollow because it means  you might be trying to manipulate your Twitter rankings, and Twitter doesn't like that.  I only play with this every month or so.

OK, I sound like a Twitter-addict but I'm really not!  Its part of my work to explore and be familiar with the latest social media tools so I have played with lots of applications.  Those happen to be ones I use personally.

Are their others you use?

Holly Hamann

TheBlogFrog

MeliMel1976
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 12:08 PM

I was wondering how to use those! Thanks for the tips I'll be sure to use them the next time I tweet!

you rock

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)