Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Deciding Between Wordpress.org and Wordpress.com

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2009 at 5:49 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 371 Total Views

The essential difference between Wordpress.com and Wordpress.org is the 'flexibility' of your blog.

With Wordpress.com, setup is quick and easy.  There are really no costs...unless you decide to by your own domain name and point it to your Wordpress blog (Yourblogname.com).  You will not be able to use templates outside the few dozen they currently offer.  Most importantly, you WILL NOT be able to monetize the site using Adsense or selling ad space.

With Wordpress.org, setup requires some technical knowledge and you will have to find someone like Godaddy.com to provide hosting services for your blog...for a fee.  However, you will be able to do many things with your blog that you see on other high traffic blogs and monetize your blog by using Adsense or selling ad space.

We've chosen Wordpress.com because, though we are an online business, we decided our blog was informational and a marketing device.  Selling ads or otherwise monetizing the blog is not on our roadmap.  If likewise, you are using the blog exclusively as a fun thing to do, for informational purposes or another non-commercial reason...then Wordpress.com is probably a great place to start.

WordPress.com Benefits

• It’s free and much easier to setup
  • Everything is taken care of: setup, upgrades, backups, security, etc
  • Your blog is on hundreds of servers, so it’s highly unlikely it will go down due to traffic
  • Your posts are backed up automatically
  • You get extra traffic from their 'tags' feature and Blof of the Day
  • You can find like-minded bloggers using tag and friend surfer
  • Your login is secure (SSL) so no one can get into your account if you use wifi

WordPress.com Cons

• We provide 70+ themes (and adding more every day) which you can modify and edit the CSS, but you cannot run a custom theme*
  • You can’t hack the PHP code behind your blog*

Ability to upload themes
  • Ability to upload plugins
  • Great community
  • Complete control to change code if you’re technically minded

WordPress.org Cons

• You need a good web host, which generally costs $7-12 a month, or thousands of dollars per month for a high traffic site
  • Requires more technical knowledge to set up and run
  • You’re responsible for stopping spam
  • You have to handle backups
  • You must upgrade the software manually when a new version comes out ( with WordPress 2.7+ there is now an auto-updating mechansim )
  • If you get a huge spike in traffic (like Digg or Slashdot) you site will probably go down unless you have a robust hosting setup

Visit our married couples blog at Blog.ThePureBed.com

Married?  Join Angela at the Wife Spice group!

We don't just make love! We make love better!

by on Jun. 1, 2009 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
cabissa
by on Jun. 8, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Hi,

Thanks for sharing great info

I use Wordpress too, and love  it very much

CeiCei
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 1:27 PM

I wish I had seen this before I did my own comparision.  I have an account for both, but I have found that I like WordPress.org better with the flexibility to make it more like my business website. The only real block I have encountered is using cForms and making it so that I can email from my cellphone to my blog. WordPress.com makes it easy to do this. WordPress.org does not. You have to create an "empty" email account under your web host, but if your web host does not use ISMAP for their emails it is pretty useless. 

But I did find a great plugin that allows me to easily log into my account and post from my cellphone. Only downfall to it is that my phone doesn't give me editing options. So I have to use my scripting skills. I do,however, believe that if you have an iPhone or Blackberry (don't quote me on the phone type) you do have editing options. I have an HTC Touch Pro.

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/CeiCei
RedSeal
by Group Admin on Nov. 7, 2009 at 9:14 AM

I just jumped right into Blogger but I wish I had done more research because I like the layout of Wordpress better.  It feels more like a website and less like a blog.  It took me a long time to find a layout I was happy with in Blogger. 

Kim

DogsMom
by on Dec. 24, 2009 at 11:41 AM

So glad to find this post. It has information I need to know.  I signed up with a wordpress.com account this morning, not knowing I had the choice, but I am also considering other platforms.

Even some of the terms in this discussion are  beyond my technical comprehension, but I am trying to learn.  Should anyone want to mentor me, I would love assistance.

GypsyFlower
by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I tried to do the WordPress thing, I don't really like it, Everytime I try to give it a chance again I keep going back to blogspot. I dunno I just like the flow of Blogspot better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)