Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Neuter or not?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:45 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 365 Total Views

I have a male chi whom i adore and i feel terrible taking him in to be neutered however, my SIL recently found a stray chi that isn't neutered and he is marking ALL over her house. I could not handle this and if my baby starts i will be upset. So for those of you who have intact males do they all mark? He is 8 months old and has finally reached the weight requirement my vet prefers for neutering so i need to decide soon but i just feel guilty. I don't plan on breeding him so if it will help him physically and behaviorally i will just take him in.  Do you all prefer neutered or unneutered pets? I have only owned female dogs in the past and they were all spayed for the obvious reason.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sacdp29
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:53 PM

I have 3 male chihuahuas.  They are all fixed.  They do mark.  My youngest chi was awful at marking everything in the house, got him fixed and he stopped.

I would definitely get him fixed.

I LOVE MY FURBABIES!

Pledge to Fight Animal Cruelty

dichihuahua
by Group Owner on Jan. 22, 2009 at 10:42 AM

If i were in ur shoes, U have fixed females already.....I would get him fixed too.....ur not planning on breeding anyway....i definately would get him fixed.  JMO.... Diane :-)

chubbawub1
by Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Thanks! I will call and set up an appt. Do they keep males overnight or is it a same day procedure. I know they usually keep females overnight to watch them but i assume neutering is easier.

dichihuahua
by Group Owner on Jan. 23, 2009 at 11:14 PM

I have no idea.....some people i have talked to said theirs stayed the night at the vet's or animal hospital.....Diane :-)

chubbawub1
by Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:03 PM

I called and they don't keep them overnight. Now they offer a blood test prior to surgery and i don't know if to have it one or not. They say it checks their liver and kidneys to make sure they are functioning properly and can handle the anesthesia. I guess its better to be safe then sorry.

Quoting dichihuahua:

I have no idea.....some people i have talked to said theirs stayed the night at the vet's or animal hospital.....Diane :-)

dichihuahua
by Group Owner on Jan. 26, 2009 at 6:00 PM

I hear u on that.....better to be safe than sorry.....Diane :-)

ChiwowwowMom
by New Member on Oct. 22, 2009 at 2:52 AM

My Chi-boy is 5 years old & never been neutered. Is it too late to consider having him fixed????

dichihuahua
by Group Owner on Oct. 23, 2009 at 8:06 PM

To me it completely up to each person....our Mine & Faye's & Jackie's have been trained not to....none r fixed......they let u know when they need to go outside....pups grow up & some become territorial.....so far my kc hasn't......but he will mark territory outside.....all the males will....if they don't get trained not to...i guess they assume it's ok....they also do that when they smell another male in that area....some will mark if there is a female in the area too....Diane...

Momchipomkids
by Member on Apr. 30, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I take in rescues and they all mark if they aren't neutered but they say 'if they do it before they're neutered, they can do it after'.    An Italian Greyhound I adopted was neutered.  He never marked that I saw, my son said he did twice  in his room(also the Iggy's room) but when we found him a home with a larger yard, he marked in her house and I almost fell over! I was shocked b/c I had never seen him do that! But an Italian Rescue worker was there and said that they are making the home there's...so a bellyband was in order...he was adopted and very loved even if he tinkled here and there that first week.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)