Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 year old and puberty,help.

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2008 at 2:15 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 3053 Total Views

I recently noticed my 9 year old daughter has underarm hair,she is showing no other signs of puberty.I made her a doctors appointment. I really hope she does not get her period any time soon.I don't think she is mature enough to deal with that yet.Does anyone have any advice??
by on Jan. 5, 2008 at 2:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hollybtn
by New Member on Jan. 12, 2008 at 7:02 PM
My daughter is opposite she has the other sign of hair. I started my period when I was in the fourth grade and I have already told her the facts so if she does start she knows what to expect.  She understands and she said she is ready for it. She said it is just part of becoming a grown up.
adoredby3
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2008 at 10:51 AM
I just noticed this thread and joined this group today. My 9 year old daughter has had pubic hair for about a year. I bought her first training bra when she turned 8 and she started her period last Saturday. Ahhhh!!!!!!!!!! But she was calm and because she was calm, I was also. My mother bought her a book for Christmas called "Girl's Guide to becoming a Teen" . She took to the book very fast and had questions to ask and I answered them as honest as possible. I started my period when I was 8 so, I really didn't have time to freak out. But I do recommend that you purchase this book and read along with your daughter.
TxPunkChk
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2008 at 4:26 PM
I TOTALLY FEEL YA'LL I WAS IN A BRA BY 3RD GRADE AND HAD HAIR AND MY PERIOD BY 5TH GRADE.  WHEN MY SON WAS 9 HE NOTICED A FEW HAIRS DOWN THERE.......I WAS SADDENED THAT MY BABY BOY , MY 1ST BORN WAS GROWING UP. HE JUST TURNED 10 AND HAS DARK HAIRS GROWING AROUND HIS LIP (ITS NOT TOO BAD BUT WE NOTICED IT LOL)  ALL YOU CAN REALLY DO IS BE THERE FOR EM AND LET THEM KNOW IT NORMAL AND IT DOESNT CHANGE YOUR LOVE FOR THEM (I THOUGHT THAT WHEN I WAS YOUNGER)
Nikkidnn
by Member on Feb. 26, 2008 at 8:50 AM
I just replied ot a similar Post.. To help easy this and make her feel I guess the word is "normal" "everyone has to go thru this" I suggest a great book written at their level.. I got it for my daughter for Christmas and she LOVES it explains everything. I read it before she did so that when she asked about a certain area I would know what she was talking about. They explain medicall and scientifically what is happening and also the have stories from other girls their ages explaining what they went thru to show that everyone is different. ANYWAYS the book is
Ready, Set, Grow!: A What's Happening to My Body? Book for Younger Girls (Paperback)
by Lynda Madaras (Author), Linda Davick (Illustrator)
Highly recommend it
dini1976
by New Member on Mar. 18, 2008 at 1:10 PM
my son is starting to get stubbles in his pits.  he laughed and said  "well mom i am a pre-teen"  oh dear!
Honey1987
by on Apr. 14, 2008 at 11:11 PM
Hi ladies I'm new to this group and it good or bad? To hear some other 9 year olds are going through samething we are.We barely noticed the hair underarms.So asked her if we could use the Nads instead of shaving it.She agreed and she giggled the whole time.I hope period is not next???
andrea711ct
by New Member on Apr. 20, 2008 at 1:49 AM
I got my period when i was 9 also and I noticed my daughter getting a few pubic hairs but not underarm hairs yet.   We went training bra shopping a few months ago and she loves wearing them! :-) 

We have had several talks about her getting her period and it is best just to be open with them and let them know not to be scared and to tell the nurse if they are at school.  I remember getting it and not saying a word because I was so nervous.  I ended up telling my mom that I think I cut myself down there.  LOL!
TylerKeshasMom
by New Member on Apr. 20, 2008 at 3:22 AM
Thank god I'm not alone out there I'm so glad that my 9yr old is not the only one experiencing puberty...my son is started to get pubic hair and his voice is starting to change it was freakin me out for a while there but the I knew it was abotu that time I just didnt want to except the fact my baby boy was in the process of becoming a man
Dayumimlost
by Member on Aug. 23, 2008 at 11:10 PM

I was 10 when I started my period and I had no one to tell me or direct me as to what was going on. I literally thought I was dying lol It happened at my best friends house and her mother was like you need to go home and talk to your mother RIGHT NOW lol I was sooo upset cuz I didn't know what was happening! I thought, that will NEVER happen to my daughter. So since she has been able to understand, I have talked to her honestly about what will happen and made sure she knew it was ok to talk to me about it. I stressed it is totally normal to every girl and we have a very good relationship to where she can talk to me about anything that would otherwise be uncomfortable. She already has "nubs" as what I call them lol but so far so good on everything else. She is a bigger girl, and she has been wearing training bras for over a year now. I just knew my main goal was to make sure she was not afraid of what will eventually happen.

Angie_Momof4
by New Member on Sep. 24, 2008 at 2:06 PM

OMG, this whole thing scares the snot out of me....I am so not ready to have a teenage daughter!  Buuuut....it may take a while...i was 11 when i started to get hair, but 16 when i got my period!  I wouldnt worry too much, especially if there are no other signs! :)  HTH..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)