Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Insurance? (especially to those in Ca)

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:42 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 230 Total Views
I have Kaiser in Ca. right now, and have read it doesn't cover surrogate pregnancies. I can't find a copy of the policies though.  Does anyone know if Kaiser in Ca covers surrogate pregnancies? Also I was looking at Blue Cross of Ca does anyone know if they cover it (or exclude it)? What insurance is best, especially for those in Ca? Thanks!
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MsTexUSMC
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 4:11 PM
The first time I was a surrogate I had BCBS that my IP's had purchased for me, My own didn't cover it then in Ca, At the time BSBC was one of the FEW Insurance co's that still covered it. They did however stop in 2005 according to my agency which is why we had to use my ins this last time in Texas, which they too just stopped covering it as of May 1,2007.

Almost all agencies are putting a stop to covering it these days. Good luck on finding one that will cover you... when you do find one...let us know who you used in case another surrogate needs help.

Shawna
mommyjenn132
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 4:56 PM
So then what do people do for medical care? Do the IP's pay out of pocket for all the prenatal care and delivery? Sound like alot! How much does it even cost to have a baby without insurace? I am in the process of becoming a gs for a friend of mine, I am not with an agency at all. Thanks!
WhirledPeace
by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 9:12 AM
Lloyds of London underwrites a surrogacy-only policy that your IPs can take out.  It is put in their name, to cover your pregnancy.  You can find out more about it at http://newlifeagency.com.  The surrogacy agency I work with uses it for all of their surrogates to prevent any problems arising with insurance companies who don't want to pay.

Lynlee
mommyjenn132
by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 10:58 AM
Yes, I've heard of that. I have been doing lots of research on this insurance stuff and it seems like that is pretty much our only option if we don't want to take a risks with the ins. companies.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)