Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I know?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:55 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 259 Total Views
I guess my real questoin is what will hinder me from being a GS?  I need to know as much as possible I have time to think about it all I am in no huge rush to do this right now I still think we want more of our own and fromm what I hear it's not safe to do surrogacy and still try to have more of your own afterwards.  But anyways... I want to know what could stop me from helping some one have a baby?  Is there anything as far as medical past and present that could make them overlook me?  How much testing do they do to you?  Do they poke and prode on you alot?  How long do they normally take before figuring if you are a good candidate as far as your health and medical background.  Can my family medical history affect my being accepted?  Like my fathers and mothers medical history.  I have tons more to ask but can't think with my 6 year old asking thigns about what I am typing and why the smily is scratching her bow LOL.
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MomtoMandJ
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 12:08 PM
I can tell you what made me skip surro candidates if it would help.

Smoking, no family support, drug use, more than casual drinking, not having health insurance, refusing any of the tests, refusing to sign a contract, unhealthy children/pregnancies, not being able to talk, wanting to have a home birth, and anything I picked up on conversation that told me she was not mature enough to do this.

I'll see if I remember anything else.

Ana 
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

First bday pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thekurlands/sets/72157600625513178/
Have books to trade? Join Paperback Swap:
http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php?r_by=morijorasmom@yahoo.com

JennWittig
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 6:09 PM
Thank you!  It actually does help and probably better that I hear it from the IP's about their reasons.  If you can think of anything else please let me know.
JennWittig
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 6:11 PM
Ok now what about past things like if they smokers in the past or have done drugs int he past or um... what else... medical thigns they have grown out of like seziurs(sp?) I can't think of much more but do you get the idea? 
WhirledPeace
by on Aug. 2, 2007 at 11:44 PM
Things that will almost always disqualify you are:

Current or long-term dependence on certain drugs, including (but not limited to) anti-depressants, drugs for hypertension, diabetes.

Current smoker or heavy drinker.

Certain sexually transmitted infections.

Obesity.  Most clinics will not work with surros with a BMI over 30 and almost none will work with a surro with a BMI over 35.

Heart problems, usually.

Serious complications with previous births.

More than 3 or 4 c-sections.

Fibroids, endometriosis.

History of cancer.

Anything specific you're looking to rule out?  You can message me if you don't want to post it out in the open.

The medical screening isn't bad.  Usually an ultrasound that involves filling the uterus with fluid to get a good look, cultures (including a PAP), a check of your previous medical records, and some bloodwork.  That's it.  There is also psych screening, which isn't bad either.  Usually, the longest part is getting the bloodwork back, which takes about 2 weeks.  Some clinics will go as far as requiring a mock cycle/transfer - which my RE thinks is stupid and a waste of time unless there is an issue.  If you are looking to be GS, you family history won't matter much since you won't be related to the child.  If you want to do TS, then it could matter a lot.

Lynlee
JennWittig
by on Sep. 1, 2007 at 2:12 PM
Sounds like I woulndt have a single issue with the medical checks!  Yay lol Thanks so much!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)