Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

?? Quick Service Dining Plan

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:58 AM
  • 12 Replies

ok, we are going to WDW Dec.27 til Jan1. We will be staying at the Boardwalk Villas. We are a family of 5.    3 girls ages 12,9 and 5.

I was wondering about the Quick Service dining Plan?  I am not sure what to do about eating there.  I plan on bringing food and drinks with us so that will save us money.

I wasn't sure about the other dining plans because we aren't sure where we are going to start or where we are going to be on any given day. Because of this being the busiest time of year I haven't made reservations to eat any where. I really wouldn't know where to begin.

Because this trip is a gift we didn't make the reservations. Can I still add a dining package? If so what is the latest date I can do this?

Thanks for reading my post!! 

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Megara
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I have heard you can add the Dining Plan up until 24 hours before your arrival date.

The Dining Plan is only going to save you money if you plan to use every credit, so if you think you will bring your own food and not use credits, it will not save you money.  If you plan on getting the Quick Service Plan, you will not need to make reservations.  Read Disney Dining Plan Explained for more information about the other Dining Plans.  If you go with any Dining Plans that include Table Services, you will need to make reservations ASAP.

The Quick Service Dining Plan includes, per person per night, 2 counter service meals, 2 snacks, and 1 refillable resort mug (per person). The cost is $29.99 per adult per night, and $8.99 per child per night.

A counter service credit includes 1 entree OR 1 combo meal, 1 dessert, and 1 non-alcoholic beverage. Children must order off of the children's menu, if available.

A snack is usually defined as edible non-alcoholic non-merchandise under $4.

Here is a sample day I wrote out for Disney Dining Plan Explained:

Is the Quick Service Dining Plan worth it?

When I heard about the new 2009 Quick Service Dining Plan, I thought it was a fantastic idea! The convenience of having your meals pre-paid at a discount, without having to waste 2 hours of your day at a table service restaurant! Now let's see if it's really worth it. For a family of four with two children ages 3-9, you would spend $77.96 plus tax per day. I'll take the lunch and snack from the mousemisers article above, and add a breakfast-type item snack and a counter service dinner:

Breakfast - 4 muffins from the food court at your resort ($2.59 each) - $10.36

Lunch - Tangierine Cafe, Epcot

Chicken & Lamb Schwarma platter - $13.99
Lamb Meditteranean Wrap - $9.99
2 soft drinks - $2.09 each
2 desserts - $2.50 each
2 kids meals - $6.95 each
Total cost with tax: $50.12

Snacks - 4 Mickey head ice cream bars ($2.50 each) - $10

Dinner - Columbia Harbour House, Magic Kingdom (I believe this restaurant is more indicitive of the average price for a counter service than the Tangierine Cafe.)

Fried Fish Basket - $7.09
Anchors Aweigh Sandwich - $6.69
2 soft drinks - $2.09 each
2 desserts - $3.59 each
2 kids meals - $4.49 each
Total cost with tax: $36.64

Add this day up and you get $107.12 for the whole family of four. Makes that $77.96 look pretty good, huh? And don't forget, our family of four would also get 4 refillable resort mugs to use during their stay. At $12.50 each, this adds another $50 to the savings.

I think the Quick Service plan is a fantastic value, and especially good for families with small children who would rather be playing than sitting down to dinner every night.

Sammybea
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:42 PM

You should still be able to add the meal plan and with the quick service plan you don't need reservations.  The quick service dining plan is Counter service dining only....you get 2 counter service meals (entree, side, snack and drink)

2 snacks

1 mug from your resort for free refills there.

This is a lot of food.  We used this plan this past summer and had plenty of snack credits left over to buy snacks for the trip home. 

Here is what we did....

Ate breakfast in the room

bought a bottled water with a snack credit

lunch at a quick service place...got the entree, snack (saved it for later) and a drink.

dinner at a quick serv. place...same as lunch except we saved the snack for breakfast.

A tip...we found that the luxury resorts have much MUCH better quick service meals than the parks or lower resorts....I have pictures of different meals we ate if you wanna see just let me know.

myrtlebeach
by Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Would love to see pics of meals

Quoting Sammybea:

You should still be able to add the meal plan and with the quick service plan you don't need reservations.  The quick service dining plan is Counter service dining only....you get 2 counter service meals (entree, side, snack and drink)

2 snacks

1 mug from your resort for free refills there.

This is a lot of food.  We used this plan this past summer and had plenty of snack credits left over to buy snacks for the trip home. 

Here is what we did....

Ate breakfast in the room

bought a bottled water with a snack credit

lunch at a quick service place...got the entree, snack (saved it for later) and a drink.

dinner at a quick serv. place...same as lunch except we saved the snack for breakfast.

A tip...we found that the luxury resorts have much MUCH better quick service meals than the parks or lower resorts....I have pictures of different meals we ate if you wanna see just let me know.

Sammybea
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2009 at 12:22 AM

Captin Cook's Snack Company at the Polynesian Resort

Polynesian Tossed Salad $8.19 w/ Dole Pineapple whip for dessert & soda.

Also at the poly... Multi Grain Grilled Cheese, coleslaw and dole wip....To call this just a grill cheese is a HUGE understatment....It has like 3 different cheeses mixed in...Super yummy.

Contemporary Resort....Spice Crusted Mahi - topped with citrus-apple slaw on a Kaiser roll w/ a chilled sesame green bean salad...& a caramel Dos Leches Cupcake...OMG SO GOOD!!

Black Forest Cup cake...wow!!! they also had a Pina Colada Cupcake that I bought for later....because the other two were so good I had to try the third one.

These are just some of the samples of Counter Service meals that are available.  My other suggestions for CSM are

Animal Kingdom - Flame Tree BBQ

Studios - ABC commisary

Epcot - Sunshine season & Tangierine Cafe in Morocco

Magic Kingdom - Cosmic Ray's & Main Street Bakery (for breakfast)

Also everything I had at the Pop Century was Great.

triplejmom35
by New Member on Nov. 11, 2009 at 7:54 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures.

I am still so undecided!! I just don't know what to do about the food.

Megara
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Well if it helps I don't know anyone who has regretted getting the Dining Plan.  Since you don't want to have to make reservations and plan your day around them, it sounds like the Quick Service Plan would be good for you.  Quick Service at Disney is so much more than a burger or chicken fingers, as you can tell from the pictures.  You can get some really good, filling, and healthy food.

Quoting triplejmom35:

Thanks for posting the pictures.

I am still so undecided!! I just don't know what to do about the food.

Sammybea
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:00 AM

We were there for 6 whole days and i didn't have chicken fingers or a burger not ONCE!!  We HATE sitting down for to long just to eat a meal and usually only do one reservation type lunch when we go...I will definitely do the Quick service plan from now on.  LOVED IT!! 

EPCOT - Sunshine Seasons -  Seared Tuna on Mixed Greens - with Sesame Rice Wine dressing $9.29 - Strawberry Shortcake $3.99

Ginger Mongolian Beef - with two sides $9.99 also with Strawberry shortcake.

good

Quoting Megara:

Well if it helps I don't know anyone who has regretted getting the Dining Plan.  Since you don't want to have to make reservations and plan your day around them, it sounds like the Quick Service Plan would be good for you.  Quick Service at Disney is so much more than a burger or chicken fingers, as you can tell from the pictures.  You can get some really good, filling, and healthy food.

Sammybea
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Just in case you don't know...You can find menus and prices on the www.allears.net website under Dining then Menus on the Left. 

after we got home I looked at all of my "food pics" and decided I would have spent much more without the Dining Plan because of the water and snacks that I didn't have to buy through out the day...YUMMY snacks like Frozen lemonade, Dole pineapple whips, Pineapple fruit bar, Fresh fruit and Frozen strawberry lemonade.  ALL priced at least $2.50 and up.  Not to mention the bottled water at $2.50 a pop!  

I am not trying to be pushy, I just wanted you to know that I was skeptical about the plan too and ended up LOVING it...The best part was knowing that the cash in my pocket didn't have to be saved for food.

disneychick
by Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:46 AM

We used the quick service dining plan when we were there in May. I had never used any of the dining plans before, never thought it was worth it but we tried it out. I will never go to Disney again without getting the dining plan. We had so much food, my DD was under 3 so she didn't get credits, but we had so much food that we were able to share food with her, she mainly shared with DS who is 4, he never finished any meals while we were there because he had so much food too!! I would definately reccomend getting the quick service plan, if you got any other plan you would more than likely have a lot of trouble getting reservations at this point, but the quick service plan is great for families that don't want to sit down in a sit down restaraunt. Oh and if you go to a book store that sells the Birnbaum book look for the Birnbaum Dining Guide, it tells you what places are sit down and quick service and what places participate in the dining plan, not every place accepts the dining plan, I bought that book last month because I am still not sure what quick service places take the plan. Hope that helps a bit. Have a great trip and a magical day!!!

Megara
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:15 AM

You can also look here for a list of restaurants that participate in the Dining Plan, and click on the restaurant name for a menu.  You will also get a brochure when you check in at your resort with a list of Dining Plan restaurants.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)