Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stroller or no stroller?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:13 AM
  • 15 Replies

My youngest just turned 6...literally just turned 6. I am totally afraid that if I don't rend a stroller, she will be miserable and so will the rest of us...all 13!

She's that kid who gets so tired so easily. My son is the enrgizer bunny.

Should I rent a stroller? Or is it wierd to let a 6 year old ride in one?

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matofour
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:18 AM

do what is easiest for you? 

If a stroller will make your life easier, get a stroller.

We were down last year, for 2 full weeks, we had a 7, 6, 4 and 15 month old.  We brought one double stroller, and that was it.  My two oldest walked the entire time, and I figured we might be renting a stroller, and never needed to.

Except, the very last night, we had a xmas party the very last night, and my oldest was not feeling great.  We rented a stroller that night, and she sat in it most of the night.  But, had she been feeling good we would not of gotten it that night either.

I think, you could get there, and see what happens.  You might find out she is fine, but if you need to rent one, go ahead. 

mom2LandL
by Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:20 AM

My oldest son went about two weeks before he turned 5-with my stepdad- and he walked the entire time.  I guess my stepdad kept offering to get one and he kept saying he was fine.

Tara922c
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:44 AM

I would try the first few days without one. Make sure she gets plenty of sleep, food, and rest time. If you still think she needs a stroller, get her one. I think she will be having so much fun, she wont have time to worry about having a stroller.

mupt02
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:55 AM

I haven't been there yet with my kiddos, but from what you are describing and from what I have read on several other sites, I would say get the stroller.  Whether you bring your own or rent one, it will work either way.  If you bring your own, you could just keep it in your room the first day and see how it goes or find a place to park it and just get it if necessary.  If you want to rent one, you could see how it goes and hope that they don't run out if you end up needing one.  I would say though, that if you know she gets tired, I would plan on using one.  My friends who go still bring one for their 6 year olds.

blowing bubbles              toddler girl             expecting baby

Abigail 5/17/06    Isabelle 10/17/07        Baby #3 Due Dec

If you want to make a good investment, take the afternoon off and play with your kids. - paraphrased from Ben Stein

disneychick
by Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:33 AM

When we went in May our son was 4 and our daughter was 18 months, we only brought our umbrella stroller because we figured that our son would be fine, he has more energy than the energizer bunny, lol. By the 4th day I was wishing that I had bought a double stroller before I left because my son was so exhausted he couldn't walk anymore, and we took it slow the whole trip because it was my 41st trip, hubby's 5th, son's 2nd, and daughters 1st. We ended up renting a stroller 5 out of the 8 days that we were there. One of the days we got lucky and a member of management looked at my son and said he was too smal to be walking, he is small for a 4 year old and he had just woke up, and she gave us a coupon for a free stroller rental that day. For our trip in Feb. I am getting a sit-n-stand stroller so that I know if he gets a little tired of walking he has a place to sit. Just make sure that she gets plenty of food, water, and rest and ask her if she needs a stroller. If she does then get her one, just take it slow and make room for down time so that everyone can have some rest instead of constant go go go trying to get everything done, that will make for a better trip and better company to be with, everyone won't be tired and cranky and that leads to getting on each others nerves!!! I have been on a lot of trips growing up with large groups and small kids and most of those trips was hurried and rushed to get everything done and by the 3rd or 4th day everyone was aggrivated with everyone else and the kids, us, were exhausted and cranky which just made everything worse!!

Zookeeperof4
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:04 PM

We got a Sit and Stand for this trip.  My older daughter is 7 but she is L-A-Z-Y...LOL

Plus she is just recovering from a broken ankle.....so we are sayingyes to the stroller.

macmom3
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:29 PM

We're debateing the same with for our 6 yr old. We have the double stroller for the 2 little one who will be 4 and 2 in May. I'm thinking about bringing the unbrella stoller also. That way we have one for each kid. We always overpack clothes, why not overpack strollers :). When we were there last year she wanted a stroller because all the other kids had one and pitched a fit about having to walk. Needless to say we ended up renting one for her.

Sammybea
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:55 PM

We rented a double stroller when our kids were 10, 8 & 6.  They took turns riding in it and when they weren't in it, it held all the stuff we had been carrying around all day.  LOVE the strollers....I even have a picture of my Brother in law taking a cat nap in one!

ABNMommy
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:23 AM

A 6 year old is not a baby and old enough to walk.  Theres enough downtime when you're just standing around to re-coup.  If your little one is not used to walking around start taking family walks to start getting used to it.  We just hate seeing all these older kids in strollers because they're too lazy and parents don't want to deal with the complaining.  Medical reasons or injuries - that's a totally different story.

ABNMommy
disneychick
by Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Take into account the shear magnitude and vastness of the Disney property, even just think about the size of the Magic Kingdom. I was not a lazy kid and when I was a kid I had trouble making it all day at 6 or 7 years old. My niece who is 5 is not a lazy kid and she still gets so tired of walking that they have to get her a stroller on pretty much every trip they take. You are right a 6 year old is not a baby but you still have to take into account the fact that you can walk at least 5 miles in any given day of a trip, that is a lot of walking for a child. I would much rather bring a stroller or rent one than to make my child miserable walking just because I think he is more than capable of walking it. You need to do what is right for your child not what is right for you. I am not trying to be offensive or start an argument, I am just giving my point of view as a mother and a Disney veteran. I would do what you think is right for your child, stroller or no stroller, to make your trip more enjoyable not just for you but for her too. If you think she would have a better trip if she didn't have to walk the whole time than bring a stroller or rent one, if you think she would have a good trip walking then don't bring or rent a stroller. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)