Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Needing some Disney magic...

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:04 PM
  • 5 Replies

Well, we have 19 days until we arrive at the World and I'm just not into it. I just found out I'm pregnant and I am absolutely terrified to go to Disney World. I will be 8 weeks and considering I am high risk due to hypertension and PCOS I just don't want to pack up and leave home. I go to the doctor next Monday, so maybe that will put my mind at ease. And it is flu season as well, so now I have this fear of getting H1N1 while at Disney. We did purchase travel insurance, so that helps some, but I just can't seem to curb this awful feeling about our vacation. I don't really want to cancel, my kids are so excited and it's too late to cancel without losing money. My husband keeps telling me that we will have a magical time and he is so excited about our trip. I just feel so selfish about feeling this way. I really want this baby, and I feel like it's such a risk for even going on vacation. Our transmission already went out last month and we are strapped for money. My daughter's birthday party is this Saturday as well, which doesn't help the stress level. I just thought I would vent some... Anyone have any left over Pixie Dust?!

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:28 PM

I just wanted to say that I too got that "doom and gloom" feeling before we went to WDW last year. We went during Christmas season, and it was our first trip down there. I figured someone would get sick, (since it's peak flu season) or I would've planned everything wrong, or some sort of disaster would happen. I tried to just pack everything I could think of that would set my anxiety at rest (about flu lysol spray to spray down the hotel room before we unpacked!! LOL! and plenty of germ-x) and just tried to remember how much I wanted the kids to have a magical vacation- we all deserved it! Everything went pretty perfectly. No one got sick, and we all enjoyed every minute of it. All you can do is try to relax (probably not until the trip starts!) and try to enjoy it for the kids! Maybe once you go to your OB they'll put some of your fears to rest, and give you some good tips to help put your mind at ease. Make sure to ask any and all questions when you go, that might help you relax about it. Good luck!!!

by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Take a deep breath and relax. I know as the Mom you have to do everything and just finding out your pregnant adds another level of fear. Talk to your OB before making any decision to cancel the trip. If dr feels you are able to go then go and have fun. Take your time and don't worry about seeing everything. Do what you can and relax when you need. There are lots of places in all the parks where you can sit and relax or go back to the resort. Once you get there and see your kids faces, you'll have a blast.

by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Screw the need some Virtual Hugs!

by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2009 at 11:36 AM

I went to Disney when I was early pregnant, and I too had pregnancy  induced hypertension.  I was very anxious before we left, but I have to say it was one of the best trips.  Being preg allowed us to slow down and really enjoy the park.  I didn't do any of the risky rides, but there are a lot of "people mover" rides, and I didn't feel like I missed a thing.  We hung out at the pool and relaxed a bit on some days.  There wasn't any of the "hurry up" rush to deal with and we just strolled around and took many "ice cream" breaks.  I wish you the best in whatever choice you make, and if you decide to hold off for a while, Disney's not going any where, and you can re-book when you feel more ready. 

by Member on Nov. 17, 2009 at 6:00 PM

I think I would take things one at a time. Focus on the party thiis week. You can't do anything in the next couple days anyway.

At 8 weeks, I can't see the PIH causing a problem this early. I doubt your OB will tell you to cancel the trip (I don't however know your medical history so its hard to say).  What you may want to consider is how special this trip is going to be b/c it is going to be your last as just a family of 4.

I can understand why you are a little nervous. We went last week, were there 2 days and my kids were sick as dogs. I wish we all had crystal balls. The good thing is that you do have the insurance so if you do need a dr while you are there, you're covered.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)