Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

AK/HS

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:56 PM
  • 11 Replies

How long does it take your family to get thru what you like to do in those parks? I'm seriously thinking that with the short list I have for AK that we will be able to spend the second half of that day back at MK. Because of how many are in our family and our varied interests I've had each of us choose 3 "top choices" for each park that they wil def. get to do and at points we wil split up since oldest is 10 and youngest is 2yrs. Of course some overlapped.

I have an autistic son who is 10 and deathly afraid of all things bugs/creepy crawly's and some other small creatures.....occasionally he gets worked up at the zoo it all depends. The only animal he truly loves are penguins :) And he gets very bored very easily(he is also adhd, ODD) but i have talked him into doing the safari ride. So the things that are on our to do list are:

AK:Kilimanjaro safari, kali river rapids, dinosaur, primeval whirl, triceratop spin, expedition everest, and of course any character interaction. We plan on being there for rope drop so can these things be done in half a day or 3/4 day?

HS: Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spec., Playhouse Disney, Rock/Roll Coaster, Star Tours, Toy Story Mania, Twilight Tower, and we have res. for Prime Time Cafe...and again character interaction.

I'm not planning a minute by minute schedule of course but i do like to have a general plan laid out i'm a bit OCD lol.......so I'm curious as to if we will have time to squeeze some things in at MK on the days we are at AK/HS. I'm not too worried about missing shows or animal exhibits as we plan on coming back in a few years when the baby and 22mth old are older and will be able to tour more leisurely.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustGail
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:15 PM

the only other reccomendations i would have in AK are the lion King Show (the Tumble Monkeys are awesome) and the Finding nemo stage show......they are really awesome shows.  Also the parade is short and fun. The boneyard is a fun park-like place for little kids too - and you can relax for a few minutes!!! Don't know how your son feels about BIRDS - but Flights of wonder is really cute and fun show.

IMO - even though the list is small for you at AK - if you don't start right in the morning - it could still bring you all the way to near the end of the day.  (my kidsare total animal geeks and we need 2 days to do it all there)

HS.......the muppets in 3D and the Beauty and the Beast show are both very very good.

flirtylingerie_2039_1041798643.gif picture by taratalnenetz

mama2mycuties
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Thanks! i would like to do more shows but worry about him sitting in one and having a meltdown so i guess we'll just keep it open and see how it goes :)  I was thinking about the muppets show i loved them as a kid!

Quoting JustGail:

the only other reccomendations i would have in AK are the lion King Show (the Tumble Monkeys are awesome) and the Finding nemo stage show......they are really awesome shows.  Also the parade is short and fun. The boneyard is a fun park-like place for little kids too - and you can relax for a few minutes!!! Don't know how your son feels about BIRDS - but Flights of wonder is really cute and fun show.

IMO - even though the list is small for you at AK - if you don't start right in the morning - it could still bring you all the way to near the end of the day.  (my kidsare total animal geeks and we need 2 days to do it all there)

HS.......the muppets in 3D and the Beauty and the Beast show are both very very good.

imthatgirl728
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:47 PM

I would never go to AK without seeing Lion King...make sure you see that. In fcat if it weren;t for Lion King I wouldn;t feel it necessary to go there at all.

If we make rope drop at AK we're out of there around noon. We do Lion King, Kali rapids, Everest...and maybe et the kids play in the playground. and thats it. Oh and my daughter likes to get her hair wrapped. So that park doesn't take much time. We don;t waste time on the safari...it was ok the first time but I never felt the need to go back.

HS we do take a lot longer. We like Tower of Terror, rockin roller coaster, toy story, the animation room where you can draw a disney character, the great movie ride, star tours(sometimes, and sometimes we skip it), Muppets, and the play area. Depending on the crowds this will take us till around 3-4ish.

mama2mycuties
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Thank you...do you think a 2yr old will sit thru the lion king show?
The safari will probably be the only animal 'exhibit" that we'll do in the park, not really interested in any of the animal walks....and figured it would be a nice way to talk a break and sit lol

is the movie ride interesting? our kids are 21mths, 5, 8, 10 so do you think it would keep their interest?

Quoting imthatgirl728:

I would never go to AK without seeing Lion King...make sure you see that. In fcat if it weren;t for Lion King I wouldn;t feel it necessary to go there at all.

If we make rope drop at AK we're out of there around noon. We do Lion King, Kali rapids, Everest...and maybe et the kids play in the playground. and thats it. Oh and my daughter likes to get her hair wrapped. So that park doesn't take much time. We don;t waste time on the safari...it was ok the first time but I never felt the need to go back.

HS we do take a lot longer. We like Tower of Terror, rockin roller coaster, toy story, the animation room where you can draw a disney character, the great movie ride, star tours(sometimes, and sometimes we skip it), Muppets, and the play area. Depending on the crowds this will take us till around 3-4ish.

imthatgirl728
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:14 PM

All of my kids saw it at two. My two youngest were a little scared of the fire...but they got through it. The show is loud and very entertaining. I wouldn't miss it.

We love the movie ride....but it can be intense for little ones. All of my kids saw it as young as two and my youngest two were both a little shaken up by it. The "gun fight" and highjack can be very realistic.

Quoting mama2mycuties:

Thank you...do you think a 2yr old will sit thru the lion king show?
The safari will probably be the only animal 'exhibit" that we'll do in the park, not really interested in any of the animal walks....and figured it would be a nice way to talk a break and sit lol

is the movie ride interesting? our kids are 21mths, 5, 8, 10 so do you think it would keep their interest?

Quoting imthatgirl728:

Today I can say I am PROUD to be from Massachusetts!!

Hey Mr. President....Can. You. Hear. Us. NOW!!!!!

matofour
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:47 PM

yes, a two year old would LOVE the lion king show, and the nemo show too.  Both are amazing.

We love animal kingdom, and easily spend 2 full days there, but we don't rush.  My kids will sit and play in the dinoplayground for hours.  Plus we LOVE to take the train back to the conversation station.  My kids love to harass (pet) the goats.  Silly, but they love it.  They also do all the kids stations, they get the little book they give out, and do all that stuff too.  (I forget what its called at AK).

If your older is scared of bugs, DO NOT do the bugs life show.  We saw it our first trip, my oldest was just 3.  I really honestly didn't think it would scare her.  I have NEVER seen my kid so scared in her whoe life.  Plus, at almost 9, she still won't sit through a 3D movie without complaining.  (we just got her into seeing real 3D this winter, and I think that will make a difference).

We usually spend a day and a half, maybe 2 at MGM.  Once again, my kids will spend hours in the honey I shrunk the kids playground.  Plus, the beauty and the beast show is amazing.  We love the new parade too.  So fun!  We always do fantasmic.  Love that show. 

The parade at AK is a not to miss in my opinion, so much fun.  And, the floats are so unique for a parade.  My kids love the character interaction at AK too.  Back by the lion king show, there is about 5 character meet and greets, so much fun.  Plus, we usually find Kenai, and koda back there, and some other different characters too.  (not in the lines, but wandering around)

Also remember Ak is the most spread out of the parks, its HUGE!!!  So,its lots of walking from one end of the park to the other. 

antoinettecd
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:50 PM

my DD was 2 1/2 exactly...and loved it and joined in with the zebra!..lol

mama2mycuties
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:55 PM

Thanks ladies!

CorbinsMomma
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 1:47 PM

We take a full day or sometimes 2 at DHS.  AK we usually spend 1/2 a day.  We MIGHT go for half a day there this trip in a couple weeks, but that is a big MIGHT.  We never were big fans of it, but it does have EE, KRR, Dinosaur.  Those are the only things getting us to thinking about MAYBE going back for 1/2 a day.

Dawne98
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2010 at 2:26 PM

I love AK so much we have done two days in it b4 and that was great to see and do it all. I have same family that went with us one year and they told me they had so much fun b/c I gave us time to see the little things other just pass by. (B4 going with me they did not care for the park..lol). I can not say how much I LOVE the Finding Nemo show!!! It is done like the Lion King Broadway show! To me it is the best show they have going on in ALL the parks!!! The Lion King is also a good show. We love all the rides but make sure to get on the Safari ride right in the morning when the it is not so hot so you'll see the animals. As for you son in the shows just let a CM know your needs for him. So if you need to get out you'll know what to do. As far DH I don't care for it too much at all...lol most trips we don't go to it. But we like the shows and the two big rides and the night time show.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)