Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

irritating?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:14 AM
  • 19 Replies

what is one thing that irritates you that you wish you could change while visiting the parks??

for me its the strollers......i hate how people feel they have the right of way because they have a stroller....i have been run over, bumped out of the way or just plan pushed off a curb while waiting for a parade due to a parent feeling their child/stroller has the right of way. when my kids were in strollers we always stayed off to the side and if we needed to stop we would go away from people as to not block their way and we would try to stay far from the people in front of us. No Im not say ALL with strollers are like this and I have had people apologize to us if they hit our ankles and whatnot,  but there are plenty out there that are like this and my ankles dont appreciate it!! :0)

I wish there was a pathway (or special places for them while watching the parades) in the parks for strollers.

Cat...mom to: Steve (22) AD Army  Andy (21) Jordan (18) Kyle (16)

married to Steve (5-2-86) retired AFNG Msgt (23 yrs of service) and a deputy sheriff

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlefoots
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I have to say.. I have to use a scooter.. and folks can be so cruel.

My children were berated with insults and sticking up for me..while I was being loaded onto busses. Riding in parks..I have had folks who walk and crash into me.. and then I get yelled and cussed out since I apparently am in their way. 

I personally am upset that my back wont cooperate and allow me to walk the parks like I want too(my back locks up and my legs go numb).. but that doesnt mean my ears dont hear the comments, the noises and see the looks/stares. 

I wish Disney had a different way of loading us on a bus..so that those of us with mobility assistance dont have to be paraded in front of the waiting others..   I know its frustrating waiting for a bus... but I think Disney could possibly improve on their bussing system..allowing busses for those with mobility issues and strollers to be seperate. This way its the best of both worlds.

krazeerosie
by Jamie on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:32 AM

You mentioned parades. I was irritated when in Dec 2007 we were on the right side of the castle that night for the fireworks. When the fireworks were over we were trying to get over toward Pirates which means of course to cross mainstreet. We had 2 seperate strollers for 2 kids so it made it easier to move around. But I was irritated with DISNEY trying to get us to follow the rope around and it was leading us behind the shops to the front of the park, I was irritated by people not following the arrows on their side and walking on my side of the rope wanting me to move my stroller and banging into my kids legs. These people didn't like how slowly their lines were moving so they crossed over heading into the wrong direction.

In 2009 I was irritated by a cast member who told us at the Contemporary to go to the elevator with our double stroller when we got to the elevator from the front of the monorail that cast member told us we could not use the elevator. I had to unload 2 kids and stuff from the double, hold one child( 10 monthold) and the folded double which is not easy and ride the escalator with 4 kids and a husband, we were wet from the rain and I thought we were late. I just wish the workers would get their stuff together there.

I hate when people bring all their family drama to disney especially at Christmas time. Travel with different people then.

krazeerosie
by Jamie on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:35 AM

With the safari in AK somehow we ended up riding with those in wheelchairs,lol. But we were directed to do that since we had 2 strollers. We unloaded the kids out of the strollers and enjoyed the ride. It did allow us the extra time to get 2 kids out etc.

Quoting littlefoots:

My children were berated with insults and sticking up for me..while I was being loaded onto busses. Riding in parks..I have had folks who walk and crash into me.. and then I get yelled and cussed out since I apparently am in their way. 

I personally am upset that my back wont cooperate and allow me to walk the parks like I want too(my back locks up and my legs go numb).. but that doesnt mean my ears dont hear the comments, the noises and see the looks/stares. 

I wish Disney had a different way of loading us on a bus..so that those of us with mobility assistance dont have to be paraded in front of the waiting others..   I know its frustrating waiting for a bus... but I think Disney could possibly improve on their bussing system..allowing busses for those with mobility issues and strollers to be seperate. This way its the best of both worlds.

littlefoots
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Quoting krazeerosie:

With the safari in AK somehow we ended up riding with those in wheelchairs,lol. But we were directed to do that since we had 2 strollers. We unloaded the kids out of the strollers and enjoyed the ride. It did allow us the extra time to get 2 kids out etc.

The one nice thing about when they do load us onto the rides and busses is that they do give those extra few minutes to get our bearings together.  Strollers/wheelchairs/scooters..  can be an issue if everyone isnt mindful of where they are going etc..  but its a part of life that folks use them.   Hopefully in the future Disney will improve methods to accomodate everyone..

krazeerosie
by Jamie on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:18 PM

In 2004 we went to Disney with some in Laws( my husband's family). One sister n law and my mother n law used scooters. I think the main issue for those waiting based on our situation was the fact the other family members get on as well first.  If they always had 2 busses going to MK for example from Pop Century at a time then they could load one with the scooters etc and start loading the other with walking guest. That would cut down on the ill will of others. But patience is a virtue most have lost today.

Quoting littlefoots:

Quoting krazeerosie:

The one nice thing about when they do load us onto the rides and busses is that they do give those extra few minutes to get our bearings together.  Strollers/wheelchairs/scooters..  can be an issue if everyone isnt mindful of where they are going etc..  but its a part of life that folks use them.   Hopefully in the future Disney will improve methods to accomodate everyone..

cat323
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:24 PM

I also dont like those who speak a foreign language ontop of English but PRETEND they dont understand you when you say someone is sitting here or excuse me.....

littlefoots
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Quoting krazeerosie:

In 2004 we went to Disney with some in Laws( my husband's family). One sister n law and my mother n law used scooters. I think the main issue for those waiting based on our situation was the fact the other family members get on as well first.  If they always had 2 busses going to MK for example from Pop Century at a time then they could load one with the scooters etc and start loading the other with walking guest. That would cut down on the ill will of others. But patience is a virtue most have lost today.

So very true!  Yeah our exp was POP as well in Sept..  I think it would really work out for everyone if they did that..  I know what you mean too about the family loading.. 

Its interesting too.. when you come across someone who had those same feelings until they had to use a device .. and then they understood.

Oh well, this is why its America.. and we are a group of people with all kinds of thoughts/opinions. Just makes life interesting..esp in Disney!  lol

mom_of_3_angels
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I feel your pain (well not literally!) Buses are my biggest issue.  I was in a wheelchair when I went for our last big vacation and I noticed how pissed off people get with it. We were told we had to go to the front of the line or to a seperate section so that the bus driver would see us and load us first and people would get really pissed off. They thought that we were jumping the line.

The first time we loaded the wheelchair there was a big commotion. We had 9 people in our party. They put me on with the wheelchair and someone pushing. As soon as the bus driver removed the lift and made it back into stairs, people started pushing and shoving and getting on the bus pushing my family out of the way. Luckily the bus driver stopped them and had me point out who was in my party so that they could load with me.

I also noticed in the parks that jump right in the way of strollers and wheelchairs cutting them off from moving. When they would catch their legs on the chair they would turn around pissed off even though they caused the problem.

Quoting littlefoots:

cat323
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:26 PM

as for those who use scooters, I always feel bad for them, esp loading up on the buses, its almost like they are put on display for all of us to watch! it might be a big expense for Disney but i bet worth it for those who need it , to have buses just for those needing special assistance. maybe they would feel less like they are being singled out?

krazeerosie
by Jamie on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:37 PM

We will always drive and not use busses and trams as long as we have strollers due to 2004 as well. I would always get a seat since I had our 14 month old but my husband would get the GO TO H--- look if the stroller moved an inch. The bus was crowded and he tried his best for it not to move but it's not a easy ride and there are people standing, butts in face etc.

FOR MY HUSBAND I buy the AAA DIAMOND PARKING PASS so he has a more enjoyable vacation. The bus was so stressful to him that I will never put him through it again. We had a blackout day in 2007 with the pass so we had to use the tram. Kids loved it but they didn't realize the adult situation going on. DIsney does a great job of having rails that match up to the seats on the tram but unfornately people are not smart enough to realize it. I told my husband lets sit in the back with 2 kids, 2 strollers and I was pregnant. The family in the next aisle ran for the back seat when they were suppose to be in the second to last. My husband is a BIG shorter guy and a former highschool wrestler. WE GOT OUR BACK SEAT. Because of what that guy was doing, he lost his family seats to the people in the next row. The family ended up having to wait for the next tram.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)