Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To Go On or NOT

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:59 PM
  • 20 Replies

DH and I were talking tonight and invited my parents (b4 we told them we invited his parents too) to join us on the cruise for R&R and basically said "HEY WE ARE RENEWING OUR VOWS" w/o actually saying it...we said things like "We want to get all the family on the cruise for something special."  Well, my mom, dad, and sister are all like "No we arent going."  Making up excuse after excuse...whatever.

So, here I am all ready to try to schedule a vow renewal after scheduling the cruise in a few months...DH is into it (actually he is turning into groomzilla and is all about it)...ITS GOING GREAT... and now my family wont join us.

Would you all go on as planned or not do it at all????

He said "Yes lets do it...its about us."  I'm like "but I dont want everyone upset from my family because they missed it."  UGH

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom_of_3_angels
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:01 AM
Maybe you should tell one of them and swear them to secrecy and get that person to convince the others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tooshear77
by Member on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:43 AM

If his family is going...you should try to find a way to make yours...otherwise I would just make it an intimate family thing with hubby and kid(s)

matofour
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:47 AM
I would just tell them you are doing it.
Honestly it's a renewal the most important people will be there, you and your husband.
My husband and I just did a renewal in Vegas with my mom and kids (and Elvis). Would I like for others to be there, sure....but we were on vacation, not everyone can afford or wants to vacation the same time I do. So they can watch the DVD, my kids and me and my husband loved it. That's all that mattered
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ambear72
by Amber on Aug. 8, 2010 at 1:41 AM

Your Dh is right, it is about you and your love for each other.  Im sure it would be really nice to have your family there, but if they are not willing to then thats their issues.  Go have a GREAT time bask in your LOVE. 

krazeerosie
by Jamie on Aug. 8, 2010 at 2:20 AM

Tell them what it's really for so they know all the details ( vows renewal) and then if they choose not to do it.... that's on them ... then Do it for you and your husband.

Skyecaitlin88
by Member on Aug. 8, 2010 at 3:46 AM

Quoting krazeerosie:

Tell them what it's really for so they know all the details ( vows renewal) and then if they choose not to do it.... that's on them ... then Do it for you and your husband.

BabyFruit Ticker
cat323
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 7:31 AM

Go...I wouldnt cancel my plans because others dont want to be involved....their loss.....

twnkedee
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2010 at 9:05 AM

If your family is anything like mine, they'll say "you didn't tell us it was for.....(insert occasion) or we would have gone". So I say tell them its for your vows and then if they don't want to go you've done your best.

Jbean603
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 10:39 AM

It is about you. Video tape it and if they want to watch later, let them.

AndBabyMade5
by Member on Aug. 8, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Tell them - it would be more important for me to have my family at my vow renewal than it would to make it a surprise.  Maybe they're thinking that they don't have a TON of extra money for that and they don't want to spend an entire vacation with in-laws, etc. but they WOULD do it if they really knew why they were going.

If they don't come after you tell them, you have to respect that too.  If you want to do a vow renewal that everyone can come to and afford to be there and enjoy it, you need to do something local because if you choose to do it on an expensive cruise, etc. you have to accept that not everyone you want to be there will be there due to sheer expense and inconvenience.

However, I would think you could still have a FABULOUS time with just your hubby and children if need be - it's about your commitment to each other and the renewal of that should be special no matter who comes!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)