Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DISNEY! DISNEY!

Disney Planning! Share Your Tips.... Favorite Restaurants and Resorts! (links included)

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2011 at 11:31 AM
  • 50 Replies

How do you plan your Disney vacations?

Do you book directly through Disney or do you use a travel agent?

How do you get the best rates?

What time of year do you like to visit?

See these posts, too:

by on Mar. 6, 2011 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe Robin
by Robin on Mar. 6, 2011 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I like to use the Disney World Travel experts!

You can talk to them by calling 407-W-DISNEY - they'll hold reservations for you and answer any questions that you have.  You can call again and again to ask more questions as you think of them.

You can also get online with them and start pricing out trips:  http://www.disneyworld.com/

They list their special offers at the bottom of that home page.  You can start plugging in dates and price out your trip with different hotels and options. 

For airlines, I go to http://travel.yahoo.com/ plug in the cities (Orlando's airport code is MCO) and find which airlines have the best airfares and times available.  Then, I go directly to the airline's website and book it directly with them.

Feel free to post your Disney planning questions on this group!  We love to talk Disney!

Cafe Robin
by Robin on Mar. 6, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Ideally, you want to go when the weather is moderate and the crowds are low.

Disney states:

The Lowest Attendance --

• January (except New Year's Day) until just prior to Presidents' Week in February
  • The week following Labor Day until the week prior to Thanksgiving
  • The week following Thanksgiving until mid-December

More Moderate Attendance:

• After Presidents' week in February through early March
  • Late April through early June (except Memorial Day weekend)
  • Columbus Day Weekend (October)
  • The first part of Thanksgiving week

Highest Attendance:

• Presidents' week in February
  • Mid March through Late April ("Spring Break")
  • Memorial Day weekend
  • Mid June through Labor Day
  • Thanksgiving Day and weekend
  • Christmas week through New Year's Day
nova.mommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2011 at 9:01 AM

We booked this trip(May 2011) through the online site.  In the past, DH and I went with his family and they made the arrangements with a travel agent.  When I was younger, my grandparents lived in Ocala, FL, about an hour from Disney World and we would go visit them and goto Disney one day.   

TheJerseyGirl
by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Last time we used Mousesavers...the time before it was thru Disney. We've driven each time  and have actually stayed at Fort Wilderness with our camper!

romalove
by Member on Mar. 7, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I have used Magical Journeys and they were helpful, but I didn't like that by not booking directly every change I needed to make had to go through them, and that particular trip I had to make a few changes (I changed which hotel, and then which room I wanted, for instance).  I usually just call Disney direction and book my vacation.  I just today made my online dining reservations, and got everything I wanted (I booked dinners at House of Blues, Le Cellier, Teppan Edo and a breakfast at 1900 Park Fare) without any time or fuss.

MedicMommyAnne
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2011 at 3:10 PM

I booked through AAA.  But 1st I went onto http://www.disneyworld.com/ and priced out the package I wanted.  Then went gave all the info to AAA to see what they could do for me.  Pricing was the same, but I added travel insurance. But I get a free gift card to disney and a AAA diamond card that gives extra disounts on stuff that I wouldn't have gotten if I booked myself.  Plus It made life really easy when the flight I was supposed to take was changed.  They were able to get me a better flight without an increase in fair.  Airline went from 1 flight a day to 2 flights a day and switched us to the less desirable time slots, but she was able to get us the better flights which ment we get to spend 8 days in the parks instead of the 6 we expected to

bayliesmommy
by Member on Mar. 24, 2011 at 5:45 PM
3 moms liked this

I am planning our first trip and have no clue where to start!

heathermichelle
by Heather on Mar. 24, 2011 at 6:43 PM

I booked through Disney for this trip. I have also been researching and trying to get as many tips as I can for our trip.

mommato2boys79
by New Member on Mar. 25, 2011 at 10:25 PM

My Family and I are planning a trip to Disney next year so here's a Bump and I cant wait to see my boys faces when the get to see all the Disney people they love

bmwmom
by Stephanie on Mar. 26, 2011 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

How do you plan your Disney vacations? -- Figure out our budget, how many days, which park we'll be in each day, what are the must-do's, if we have the dining plan (which I don't think I will ever go without again!) - which rest.s do we want to try or definitely eat at...,

Do you book directly through Disney or do you use a travel agent? --- I use a travel agent. In fact, she is a member of this group (I found her in here!). It is Diana, screen name littlefoots. She is wonderful!!!! I've booked 2 trips through her so far :)

How do you get the best rates? -- I try to watch out for some kind of deal. If multiple offers are being offered, I get the one that saves me the most.

What time of year do you like to visit? -- I like to visit early March (1st-2nd week)...great weather and the crowds aren't too bad. This year, I think Spring Break started early for some colleges, plus Mardi Gras, made it super crowded, which really stunk. I'd like to go late September sometime, too.

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

jumping rope20lbs lost!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN