Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hey, roadtrippers...

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:31 PM
  • 11 Replies

For those who drive long distances.... any must see places to stop?

We are coming from Chicago and I am wondering about any good places to sightsee while en route? I would like to make a stop and go to Mammoth cave which is in Kentucky (I think).

Any other good places to go?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadiasMomma
by Joanna on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:05 PM

if youre going to pass south carolina, i was just googling "South of The Border"... lol its really interesting. its in dillion SC

we just passed it on our way home but DH opted to skip it, because in all honesty, it looks kind of creepy at this time of night!! we saw huge neon signs and lots of buildings but not ONE person. sure its 11pm but its still creepy lol

enjoy your ride!

cmy3kids
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Ruby's Falls in Chattanooga, TN is where we are stopping on the way back from Florida (we live in MN). My husband and I went there several years ago when he took me to a concert in Nashville as a surprise. We LOVED it!

christina0607
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 6:50 AM

South of the Border used to be a fun place, it's run down and almost desserted now.

Honestly I don't know if I would suggest stopping there with kids. Last May we had to stop there to pee and were back in the car as soon as possible....and this was around 3ish in the afternoon.

OP...we never stop for more thena  pee stop. But I hope you find some fun places.

Quoting SadiasMomma:

if youre going to pass south carolina, i was just googling "South of The Border"... lol its really interesting. its in dillion SC

we just passed it on our way home but DH opted to skip it, because in all honesty, it looks kind of creepy at this time of night!! we saw huge neon signs and lots of buildings but not ONE person. sure its 11pm but its still creepy lol

enjoy your ride!

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
FabDarling
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 7:25 AM

we drive from NJ to FL in about 17 hours.  straight thru.  we stop to use the potty and to grab some food/gas.....but that's it.  we leave around 5/6am and get down there usually by 11pm

angeldud
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2011 at 7:47 AM

I agree... we drive from central pa to florida at least once a year and we usually leave at midnight and get to south carolina before the kids wake up=) then we stop at mcdonalds with play places and rest stops to blow bubbles and play wiffle ball to get some excersise. We usually make it to disney by night time =)

I'm not sure of the ages of your kids but in Georgia there is the Cabbage Patch "farm" that is very cool. My grandparents took me there as a kid. There is also a place where you can go and pay a price and mine for your gems like diamonds and gold and what you get you keep no matter the price.

In Virginia off of Rt 81 there is a place called the Natural Bridge and that is pretty cool, natural place to stop and see. They have a little zoo there and just a natural quiet place.

In Florida there is the Space Center if you go down 95 and of course the beaches along the way.

crazybones27
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Quoting FabDarling:

we drive from NJ to FL in about 17 hours.  straight thru.  we stop to use the potty and to grab some food/gas.....but that's it.  we leave around 5/6am and get down there usually by 11pm

We drive from NJ also except we drive through the night and stop when the kids wake up in the morning so they can stretch and have breakfast.  I wish we could leave at 5am and get there around 11.  Unfortunately with our kids being so young while they're sleeping is our only option, but I am shooting for this one day LOL. 

We'll be driving down in a week or so.  We don't plan on stopping except for pee breaks till we hit Savannah.  Then we're going to stay the night there and head out the next day. 

amzbrznjz
by Heather on Mar. 29, 2011 at 10:40 AM

we are driving in from Chicago as well, but we avoid as many mountains as possible.  When are you guys driving down?

mom22tumblebugs
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 11:02 AM

We are in an RV so we are taking is slow (no big rush). We are planning to leave on a Sat and arrive Disney by Wed. We want to build in some stops to overnight. Then when we are done with Disney, go to some other places in FL and on the way back.

Just trying to get some ideas. Last time I drove to FL it was nonstop for 24 hrs from Chicago to Tampa. We didn't see much.

We usually drive Chicago to Indy, Nashville, Atlanta and down I-75 in FL...

Quoting amzbrznjz:

we are driving in from Chicago as well, but we avoid as many mountains as possible.  When are you guys driving down?

amzbrznjz
by Heather on Mar. 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM

that is the quickest way, but I told my DH since he is making me drive, we are taking 57 down through IL then hitting less mountains as possible.  We plan on staying in Atlanta, my friend form high school is a major contractor there and is hooking us up with a room, then driving into Orlando....Dollywood is also in pidgeon forge...NC and TN border

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

We are in an RV so we are taking is slow (no big rush). We are planning to leave on a Sat and arrive Disney by Wed. We want to build in some stops to overnight. Then when we are done with Disney, go to some other places in FL and on the way back.

Just trying to get some ideas. Last time I drove to FL it was nonstop for 24 hrs from Chicago to Tampa. We didn't see much.

We usually drive Chicago to Indy, Nashville, Atlanta and down I-75 in FL...

Quoting amzbrznjz:

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

bmwmom
by Stephanie on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:07 PM
That's where I live! We love it here. If you are stopping at Ruby Falls, go ahead and do Rock City, too! So pretty!
We drive to Orlando from Chatt, and there isn't much to see/do in between here and there....

Quoting cmy3kids:

Ruby's Falls in Chattanooga, TN is where we are stopping on the way back from Florida (we live in MN). My husband and I went there several years ago when he took me to a concert in Nashville as a surprise. We LOVED it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)