Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm planning my days & need some guidance

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:12 AM
  • 19 Replies

We are going early may for 6 days.

We have 4 year old special needs. I am planning on getting the GAC card-- BUT, wont use to to NOT wait in line (it isn't for that, but people sometimes think it is-- so I just want to be clear cause it is part of my question about planning). Anyway...

How much time should I plan for seeing things in the park? Here is where I get confused.

If we go to Epcot we want to see:

Nemo & friends, Turtle Talk with Crush
Soarin, Living with the land & the circle of life
Figment & Captain EO
Spaceship Earth
Test Track and Ellen Energy...

We eat lunch at Teppen Edo...  Is that a full day? A half day? 3/4's? We want to take DS back to hotel after lunch to rest at hotel and swim and relax.  But....

How do you guys plan a 1/2 day? How do you know what is too much stuff?  Can I see 10 things before lunch time with an early entry-- or is that too optimistic?  

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:37 AM

BUMP

christina0607
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:05 AM

It all depends on the crowds. I would immediatelu get a FP for Soarin. Then I would go over and ride Test track stand by. If you get there at 9am(I'm assuming thats ropedrop) this should take you maybe 20 minutes, depending how fast you walk. Lets say 1/2 an hour.

Nothing else you want to do should have a line or wait(obviously with shows you need to wait until the next one). Unless of course it is very very busy and then everything has a wait.

I would expect at that time of the morning with this list I could do everything on your list well before 1pm. Then have lunch.

Of curse this means just doing these things. If you want to do all the little extras that are there as you walk out of these things....you could easily spend all day doing them.

It's really all about to you and how you tour. do you like to take it slow and see everything. or is your goal to hit these things and get out?

christina0607
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Also what time is your lunch? I assume you know that Teppen Edo is not convenient to where you plan to spend the day. So that will stretch out your day tremendously if it's lets say a noon lunch. If it's a 2pm lunch then you could hurry through all those things and get over there.

SamMom912
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:10 AM

I forgot to mention we have early entry... so, that is an hour with just hotel guests at the park.
I DO just want to get these things done...

we plan on going back to the hotel around 2. Swim, relax and then come back to Epcot Thursday afternoon for at late lunch and a few hours.(Thursday AM we are taking it easy).  That is when we will check out the Countries and either hang out for Illuminations or not depending on how DS is doing.  

But in my planning I just wasnt sure how long things will take... Is there a site or something that can tell me that? A place to build an itinerary with approx times so I know? 

SamMom912
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Quoting christina0607:

Also what time is your lunch? I assume you know that Teppen Edo is not convenient to where you plan to spend the day. So that will stretch out your day tremendously if it's lets say a noon lunch. If it's a 2pm lunch then you could hurry through all those things and get over there.

It is a 12:45 lunch... figure we will go back to hotel right after lunch.

christina0607
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I've never used sites like Touring guides, ridemax or Tour Guide Mike. so I don't know if they offer a program that will customize an itinerary like that. they are all pay sites, which is why I've never bothered.

Some of the things you have listed are shows and there for take some time. Even Living with the land will take time, it's a 20 minute ride.Circle of life is also 20 minutes.

There is no way to know for sure how long these things will take you. It's impossible to know how the lines will be and how long you will need to wait for a show to start.

The extra morning hour will be very helpful for Soarin and Test Track. I would still do those two things first though.

Also ellen's show is a 45 minute show. thats going to really eat into your morning especially if you have to wait for a showing. Also have you ever seen this show. You say your son has sensory issues(I think you've nmentioned this before), this show is ALL about sensory. It's dark, you hear noises but can't places where they come from. There are strange smells. I don't want to talk you out of it, but maybe tak to a few people about their experiences with it.

You'll have about 4 hours. Take an hoour away for Ellen and it will be tight to get all of these things done by noon so you can head to lunch. Of course it could be dead and you could walk on everything right away. but I would go with a realistic view of what you can actually accomplish, then if you get to more great.

SamMom912
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Thank Christina.. I REALLY appreciate your input. I was thinking DS would like Ellen- cause he liked Dino's... but, ? who knows... these are some things to consider.
I think I will go to the park with these things in mind--- as I said- we are going back one afternoon... so, if we get 6 things done before lunch- that means we will need to come back and do the 4 some other day...

I guess I was hoping there was some "formula". Thanks again!

christina0607
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:50 AM

So I looked into Ridemax it does seem to be exactly what you're looking for. It does allow you to input the dates and times you are going and which attractions you want to see. then it calculates wait times and the best way to do it. It's $15 fpr 90 days. Like I said I have never used it, but it may be somehting that could help you.

CorbinsMomma
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Epcot for us is a 2 day park.  WE really enjoy the world showcase and the kids love meeting people at each country.  But, we could spend an entire day on each side of Epcot.

cmy3kids
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:49 PM

We are having a hard time on planning our days out with the parks as well and have a special needs child with us too. Thanks for posting this and the answers have helped me as well. Another thing I could offer that we did was to check out the YouTube videos of each thing we were interested in doing. We actually changed our minds on some... both ways. It really helped to see or get an idea of what type of cart we're riding in, how long the ride is and if there are any situations that might not be something our youngest would do or like. Some of the rough video is too dark to see so we kept clicking until we found one that would give us a better idea. It really helped to get our itinerary going.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)